News EPCOT International Festival of the Arts 2022

Cmdr_Crimson

EPCOT Festival of the Arts Figment popcorn buckets selling on eBay for more than $1000​

Wake up people...
027f74f5247afab593c3b75bd399bafaeb20d93br1-400-225_hq.gif

Tony the Tigger

I think everybody needs to get over this. It’s a fact of life. It’s basic supply and demand.

The only issue is the people gaming the system to walk out with 20 pieces with the sole intent of reselling them.

But if mom and dad bought two each and sold one each to help defray the cost of their trip, more power to them.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think everybody needs to get over this. It’s a fact of life. It’s basic supply and demand.

The only issue is the people gaming the system to walk out with 20 pieces with the sole intent of reselling them.

But if mom and dad bought two each and sold one each to help defray the cost of their trip, more power to them.

Right. I don’t think anyone has a problem with Joe and Jane Public buying a bucket. It’s the eBay scum buying 20 (or paying others to stand in line with them so they can get more than 2) with the sole intention of reselling them for 5-10x what they paid for them.

ChevisMickey

Some will hate this idea, but if TDO want to capitalize on this they make the first day of big events non-passholder days. No passholder entry, discount, etc. Those that want to spend the extra money will buy their day pass, no special discount, and work around these limits. Casual content creators, resellers, etc. will find the fight for merch a bit more difficult. Disney already is phasing out the local crowd with their pricing tiers, so they should go all-in here.

Roy G. Dis

Why are people paying so much for a popcorn bucket though? So they can turn around and resell it, wash rinse repeat? Where's the organic demand? Are... We.. the problem?

shipley731

Some will hate this idea, but if TDO want to capitalize on this they make the first day of big events non-passholder days. No passholder entry, discount, etc. Those that want to spend the extra money will buy their day pass, no special discount, and work around these limits. Casual content creators, resellers, etc. will find the fight for merch a bit more difficult. Disney already is phasing out the local crowd with their pricing tiers, so they should go all-in here.
No pass holder entry? That’s ridiculous and it wouldn’t work anyway. If someone wants to buy a bunch of these stupid popcorn buckets, they’ll have no problem shelling out for a day ticket.

Figment82

There has to be someone on this forum that waited in line for the Figment bucket. Come on, speak up! Let us know why you did it.
I went yesterday, I did not wait 7 hours (it was closer to 2.5). I think my user name says it all. I bought just 1, for my Figment collection. It was a beautiful day, I didn’t “waste” a day at the park (I went solely for the purpose of getting the Figment bucket and left afterwards), and honestly, I had a nice time just enjoying the festival atmosphere and being part of the line craziness.

You guys can judge me all you want, I really don’t care. Sure, I could have taken a chance and gone another day after the hype died down, but I’ve seen too many times where things never restocked and I had the ability to go. Figment is my absolute favorite, we all have things we are passionate about. 🙂

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I went yesterday, I did not wait 7 hours (it was closer to 2.5). I think my user name says it all. I bought just 1, for my Figment collection. It was a beautiful day, I didn’t “waste” a day at the park (I went solely for the purpose of getting the Figment bucket and left afterwards), and honestly, I had a nice time just enjoying the festival atmosphere and being part of the line craziness.

You guys can judge me all you want, I really don’t care. Sure, I could have taken a chance and gone another day after the hype died down, but I’ve seen too many times where things never restocked and I had the ability to go. Figment is my absolute favorite, we all have things we are passionate about. 🙂
I don’t think most people (except for a few curmudgeons) here have an issue with you waiting in line to get something you want and will cherish! Most of the discussion is about the knuckleheads buying up boatloads of these, causing unnecessary supply issues and driving up the price. Honestly though, part of the problem is anyone willing to spend 10x retail. 🙃

Tay

This is what I’m saying. Disney needs to go after these a-holes. It’s disgusting. They shouldn’t want others profiting off their products and IPs. And this is far beyond an Etsy Mickey shirt.
They will sue Etsy shops that barely makes more in a year than their law team’s retainer for an hour but let resellers make thousands off their actual products.

MrPromey

They will sue Etsy shops that barely makes more in a year than their law team’s retainer for an hour but let resellers make thousands off their actual products.
Huge difference:

One is violating their trademarks and copyrights, the other is not.

If these scalpers had robbed a delivery van to get these, Disney would have a problem with it but as things are, Disney's getting their cut.

That's how the aftermarket works and anyone who's ever tried to get a remotely hot Disney item, even a standard release toy from a popular movie the day it hit theaters at your local Target or Walmart, knows this has been a very lucrative arrangement for Disney for decades.

Not saying I think it's cool or okay or should be this way but Disney really has no motivation to bother putting any effort into anything here - especially when they can throw their hands up and say "those darn scalpers!" just like everyone else when you complain.

For them, this beats these things hitting their outlet stores where they take up shelf space selling for half price over the next six months.

Last edited:

note2001

Any store owner knows the faster you move the product you've purchased out the door, the better it is for your bottom line as you've made that profit and now have room for more inventory, even if it is the same item.

What I find funny is they could have hiked the price up to $40 and there still would have been a line just as long. Someone in Disney missed their supply and demand class. Special event items, especially popcorn buckets are hot commodities and even at $40 there would be wiggle room to go higher.

Vegas Disney Fan

I still don't quite understand why Disney doesn't capitalize on this themselves. Have it be a $25 release in the Parks. Sell them for $39.95 online after a couple weeks with decent supply. It would be easy revenue, albeit diluting the extreme "exclusivity" a bit.

Do most Disney fans care if somethings exclusive?

I’ve bought more than my fair share of Disney stuff and honesty couldn’t care less if it’s exclusive or not. If I like it I buy it, if I don’t I don’t, exclusive doesn’t even factor into the equation.

I also take my stuff out and enjoy it rather than keeping it in the package though (to preserve its value) so maybe I’m just not the target market.

jeanericuser001

PT Barnum called it perfectly. Thankfully scams like this may help to lower the waits at some attractions by a few minutes as people wait forever to buy plastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom