News EPCOT International Festival of the Arts 2022

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And we have a winner. I assume that’s what a lot of this nonsense is. People on vacation won’t waste 7 hours.

Theres this 50th hoodie I saw on a mannequin in the Times Square Disney Store, of all places. None actually available. I look online—sold out through Disney but $150 on eBay.

People suck.

Maybe they’ll have them in the parks in April. But I doubt it.
My wife will be there Monday. I doubt there will be any popcorn buckets left by then.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thats my general policy but I’ve bought a few items I really want on eBay if the price is reasonable. As hopemax said, for those of us who aren’t local it’s way cheaper than making a trip for something.

Disney could easily solve this (and make a fortune) by making things like this available on their website as a preorder… not sure why they don’t.

I’ve heard about bots scooping things up from online stores in a nanosecond. That could have something to do with it, but there are other reasons, I’m guessing.

hopemax

I highly doubt all of these people, or even a significant portion of them, are eBay resellers. I think most are just locals who love Disney.

Imagine what a well-run company could do with such a popular and valuable IP as Figment.
APs, DVCers and people with Main Entrance passes (not just current CMs, but retirees, spouses). There can be non-locals in the DVC crowd especially. That's part of their "reasoning" for owning DVC. They can schedule trips for the first weekend of all the festivals, and because they come so often they can spend hours and hours in line for things like this.

James Alucobond

Well, announce some policy changes. Not consistently implement them, apparently.
I haven't been following news related to this, but are we sure they're not being consistent about it? Just because you see one person lugging around several popcorn buckets doesn't mean that they weren't purchased by multiple people working collaboratively to scoop up as many as they can.

ToTBellHop

I haven't been following news related to this, but are we sure they're not being consistent about it? Just because you see one person lugging around several popcorn buckets doesn't mean that they weren't purchased by multiple people working collaboratively to scoop up as many as they can.
I’ve seen several public floggings in Liberty Square.

hopemax

The resellers always show up with spouses, kids, grandparents, friends with APs who don't want merchandise. As soon as everyone hits the front of the line and the CMs see they exist and ring up the sale, the "extra bodies" are free to have a normal Disney day. That's why the "2 per person limits" don't really do much. One person ends up carrying everyone's booty to the car and those are the people who get their photos taken and end up on social media.

ToTBellHop

The resellers always show up with spouses, kids, grandparents, friends with APs who don't want merchandise. As soon as everyone hits the front of the line and the CMs see they exist and ring up the sale, the "extra bodies" are free to have a normal Disney day. That's why the "2 per person limits" don't really do much. One person ends up carrying everyone's booty to the car and those are the people who get their photos taken and end up on social media.
Instead of hiring kids to produce TikTok content, hire kids to scour the internet looking for these resellers, track them, and ban them from the parks. It’s not that hard to do, and these people are costing Disney money.

Vegas Disney Fan

Ya know, if suckers wouldn’t buy this stuff from the eBay trolls… never mind, that’s rational thought. And we all know people HAVE TO HAVE FIGMENT POPCORN BUCKETS!!!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!1!!!!!!

Edit: If anyone spends $250 on eBay to get this, I have no words to describe my level of disgust with you. I don’t know how you could ever rationalize that.

The sad thing is there’s a couple available as “buy now” for less, the cheapest I saw was still way too much ($150) but it just shows how irrational people are when they become emotional. Getting into a bidding war when you could simply buy it for less is a perfect example of lunacy.

Give it a few weeks and they’ll probably be $70. Still too rich for my blood but much more reasonable for those with a little patience.

ToTBellHop

They should be progressively pressed by Figment popcorn buckets filled with stones.

"More weight."
I would ILL that. $24? Fine by me.

1642185786749.jpeg

Casper Gutman

What a bunch of depressing morons. And that applies to everyone involved in this at every level - the resellers, the buyers, the Disney execs who encourage this. The only people worth anything but contempt are the folks at EPCOT trying to buy one bucket for personal use - if those people exist.

ToTBellHop

What a bunch of depressing morons. And that applies to everyone involved in this at every level - the resellers, the buyers, the Disney execs who encourage this. The only people worth anything but contempt are the folks at EPCOT trying to buy one bucket for personal use - if those people exist.
Because of how obsessed people are, they should just have online presale, pick up at the park (must already have park reservation on date you choose), only one per IP address; show ID at pick-up. Less headache when you are actually in the park and much harder to hoard.

I get that some people have FOMO, but this is merch for this Festival. It should only be for people attending the Festival. You don’t buy swag from concerts you don’t go to.

Casper Gutman

Because of how obsessed people are, they should just have online presale, pick up at the park, only one per IP address; show ID at pick-up. Less headache when you are actually in the park and much harder to hoard.
This is a good idea. But my problems with all this stems from a belief that souvenirs and park merchandise are only meaningful and worthwhile if linked to actual experiences - the first time riding a new attraction, a particularly happy time with friends and family at a restaurant, etc. This fetishization of merchandise just because it’s related to WDW is a big part of what’s destroying the parks.

And it’s much worse when people are pouring money on Disney’s cynical exploitation of a ride they literally destroyed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom