EPCOT... I never knew....

DSNYKID

Original Poster
that part of Walt Disney's vision involved people living in EPCOT. As the project developed, some of the planners did not see the appeal of customers paying money to come to a place to watch where other people lived. It seems like the whole plan did a 180 degree change from what Walt invisioned.

DisneyChik17

I remember when I first learned it. One summer I was up VERY late watching the old Vault Disney back when the Disney Channel was good. The showed the old World of Disney with Walt and he showed the model for what Epcot would be like. It was so neat. I miss the old Disney Channel now. :cry:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Walt orriginally wanted to build his EPCOT first, but was not able to convince the bean counters. So, in order to generate the cash flow to back the project, Roy convinced Walt to build the Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately, Walt died before it ever opened. When the plans for EPCOT finally started moving forward, two seperate park models were actually pushed together to create what opened as the E.P.C.O.T. park.

head mouse

that part of Walt Disney's vision involved people living in EPCOT. As the project developed, some of the planners did not see the appeal of customers paying money to come to a place to watch where other people lived. It seems like the whole plan did a 180 degree change from what Walt invisioned.

Yes. That is what EPCOT stands for. Experimental Prototype City [Community] of Tomorrow.

That is also why they changed the name from EPCOT Center to Epcot.

DSNYKID

Original Poster
hakunamatata is correct! When Walt died, Roy wanted to see his plans through...though, they obviously skipped over the "living in epcot".

It's my own belief that "Celebration" is the response to a "living EPCOT". It may be documented as fact or I may just be reaching here... but it makes sense.

We have never been to Celebration.

mitchk

Walt orriginally wanted to build his EPCOT first, but was not able to convince the bean counters. So, in order to generate the cash flow to back the project, Roy convinced Walt to build the Magic Kingdom. Unfortunately, Walt died before it ever opened. When the plans for EPCOT finally started moving forward, two seperate park models were actually pushed together to create what opened as the E.P.C.O.T. park.

Yup, they did want to build Walt's EPCOT (Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow), but then the realism set in that you can't have people living in a theme park, or something to that extent. When you really stop and think about it, there was no way it could have worked. Oh well, Walt was still a genius, he created what everyone calls theme parks :)

aeillill

When you really stop and think about it, there was no way it could have worked. Oh well, Walt was still a genius, he created what everyone calls theme parks :)

I think Walt would have been the only person able to make it work. If anyone else tried it would have been a failure.

Rob562

The model seen from the TTA is only part of the original model. The original was much bigger.

For those who want to see the entire EPCOT film with Walt, pick up the Tomorrowland DVD set from th Walt Disney Treasures collection. It's on Disc 2.

I think the people who developed Epcot the park tried to stick to Walt's original dream somewhat, which is why they named it "EPCOT Center", because the park the opened was envisioned as being only the central portion of Walt's original plan for EPCOT. (Which included a World's Fair type shopping district)

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even after Walt, EPCOT was a reality for a while. As of 1969, EPCOT was due to open by 1981, with 3000 residents in phase one. Prior to that the residential version of Lake Buena Vista would have had 625 residents in 1971, rising to 16,500 by 1991. EPCOT would have maxed out with 25,000 residents and 10,000 employees by 1991.

The main reason EPCOT was changed (aside from money) was two fold; management couldn`t see a viable way to allow guests to walk through peoples homes to view the technology - who`d want a steady stream of people asking to see their new kitchen every day - plus each resident would have voting rights. Since the city couldn`t be de-annexed from WDW (as Celebration was) each resident could vote on every change in WDW - from the colour of road signs to a new theme park.

NASAMan

The thing was, Walt's EPCOT was not a theme park. It was a community. It had a hotel, where visitors could pay to stay and shops where people would spend money. It would showcase the latest in home-living technologies that would be developed and built by the high-tech companies in the adjacent industrial park - whose employees would live at EPCOT. A World Bazaar was one of the shopping areas - this was expanded on as the nucleus of a new theme park.

I remember when I first learned it. One summer I was up VERY late watching the old Vault Disney back when the Disney Channel was good. The showed the old World of Disney with Walt and he showed the model for what Epcot would be like. It was so neat. I miss the old Disney Channel now. :cry:

{Sigh} Yes, many of us do!

The original name, EPCOT, was an acronym and should not contain periods. The theme park was named EPCOT Center to differentiate it from the original EPCOT plans. Acronyms can't be trademarked, so it was changed to the made up word Epcot. As I write, I try to keep seperate Walt's original plan (EPCOT) from the theme park (Epcot) by using those name variations.

It's my own belief that "Celebration" is the response to a "living EPCOT". It may be documented as fact or I may just be reaching here... but it makes sense.

We have never been to Celebration.

This is a big leap to make, as they are so extremely different. Celebration is a planned comunity, similar to many in Florida and around the nation, that was developed by Imagineers. It is not the cutting edge high tech marvel that EPCOT envisioned, but a quaint town with beautiful houses on tree lined streets. The original EPCOT did call for a residential section, but that is the only similarity.

Yup, they did want to build Walt's EPCOT (Experimental Prototype City Of Tomorrow), but then the realism set in that you can't have people living in a theme park, or something to that extent. When you really stop and think about it, there was no way it could have worked. Oh well, Walt was still a genius, he created what everyone calls theme parks :)

It could have worked - not as a theme park but as an actual city! Would people come visit a city? Do people go to New York? Las Vegas? Miami? Sure! But not to see stage shows, gamble, or go to the beach, but to see a showplace of new technology years before it is available to the average homeowner. If it existed today, as it was envisioned, it would probably be carbon neutral, getting power from it's own onsite nuclear power plant, with residents commuting by non-polluting people movers. Every home would be bluetoothed where groceries are automatically delivered as needed by self monitoring refrigerators and pantries.Children would be taught by the best instructors in the world via distance learning, taking virtual field trips from the South Pole to the Space Station. This is where those new ideas would be tested in a real world laboratory. It could have worked, but it would have taxed the Disney company to the brink and then some. Without Walt to drive it, the company could not do it. But the concept was sound.

DisneyMusician2

The bottom line is that it takes a real visionary to pull off EPCOT the way it was meant to be. It would be like pulling Bill Gates (in the early years)out of Microsoft as he was innovating a new product or OS. The work might have been completed, but not necessary with the same direction or eventual outcome. (I am also lamenting the death of the Disney Channel as it was!)

kcnole

The Epcot that we have today is nowhere near what Walt's vision was. Others have laid it out better. The truth of the matter is, much of Epcot was still in Walt's head. No one knew how to make it work after Walt was gone and no one in the company was willing to take the financial risk that it would be. If it failed, which it probably would have without Walt's guiding hand, it would have destroyed the company.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
There are many aspects of the original EPCOT plan that would never have worked in the Florida area...for example transportation was 3-5 stories underground, which would only work if you had gills....

Even if Walt were alive, the original design as layed out in the model would never have been built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom