Epcot guests flows around the country's

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
I was at Epcot on saturday night. Trying to walk in a straight direction is almost impossible. Where I originally come from on the jersey shore boardwalk there is a line that separates folks walking north and south. There is a defined direction and it makes it easy to walk when it's very busy. Has Disney ever considered making two lanes of traffic around the worlds. Would it even be possible the way the country's are configured. I wish they would try something, it's like walking inside of a pinball machine bouncing between people when it's busy.

Jrn14

I don't think so. The whole point of the WS is to kind meander around and buy food and merch. I don't see Disney doing anything to jeopardize that by having people rushing through the WS, and honestly as frustrating as crowds can be when you're trying to get from point A to point B I really wouldn't want two lanes of designated traffic in WS. It's nice to just family circus (dated reference) all around the place.

OneofThree

I was at Epcot on saturday night. Trying to walk in a straight direction is almost impossible.

We actually encountered the same thing -but on an early Thurs. afternoon during the first of last December. o_O I don't mind waiting in line to see an attraction, or maybe even for something to eat, but we found ourselves actually waiting in line to walk? Needless to say, we left the park at that point.

The whole point of the WS is to kind meander around and buy food and merch. I don't see Disney doing anything to jeopardize that by having people rushing through the WS, and honestly as frustrating as crowds can be when you're trying to get from point A to point B I really wouldn't want two lanes of designated traffic in WS. It's nice to just family circus (dated reference) all around the place.

I think the focus of WS (and within all of the WDW resort, to a degree) has really shifted toward the sale of food and merchandise from what it used to be. That said, I'm going to guess that neither Walt, nor anyone involved with designing the parks themselves envisioned any sort of experience where just moving from one area to another could become a complete chore.

NickMaio

I was at Epcot on saturday night. Trying to walk in a straight direction is almost impossible. Where I originally come from on the jersey shore boardwalk there is a line that separates folks walking north and south. There is a defined direction and it makes it easy to walk when it's very busy. Has Disney ever considered making two lanes of traffic around the worlds. Would it even be possible the way the country's are configured. I wish they would try something, it's like walking inside of a pinball machine bouncing between people when it's busy.
Nope - too many cultures running through the Parks - It works in Jersey because you drive on the same side you walk.

JIMINYCR

Disney wants people to be free to wander where they want to. Theyd never be able to have designated walking lanes going North/South. If they did somehow have a way of separating lanes of traffic no one would observe or stick to their lane. People have so much to see in different directions, lots of distractions, constant changing of minds when walking, crossing over to get to kiosks or snacks... its just not designed for a constant flow in separate one direction lanes. It may be pandemonium when there are large crowded times but Disney isnt going to have enforcement of walking rules.

dreamfinder

It's not so much people walking randomly, it's people not paying attention to where they are walking. Johnny is on his cell phone Instagraming his pretzel, Suzie is trying to see Snow White off in the distance, Mom and Dad are looking at each other while talking and pushing their double wide stroller for if the two kids get tired, etc. If we all paid attention to ourselves and those around us it wouldn't matter to much.

The Empress Lilly

It's not so much people walking randomly, it's people not paying attention to where they are walking. Johnny is on his cell phone Instagraming his pretzel, Suzie is trying to see Snow White off in the distance, Mom and Dad are looking at each other while talking and pushing their double wide stroller for if the two kids get tired, etc. If we all paid attention to ourselves and those around us it wouldn't matter to much.
Yes. but part of the fun of Disney is that you can just walk on the street without having to constantly be on your guard. It's pleasurable to just feast your eyes, smell the flowers, enjoys the sights and sounds. You should be able to watch Snow White in the distance rather than having to dodge traffic.

This is another one of the downsides of overcrowding. WDW's crowded paths are stressful, walking drains your energy, it feels like having navigated a busy road with road-raged drivers (with strict deadlines and time windows to meet, all day long, or you can't do anything because of the, again, overcrowding). What is meant to be a relaxing stroll is turned into a stressful experience you need to rest from.

wstransportation_greenbus1983ww.jpg

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
We actually encountered the same thing -but on an early Thurs. afternoon during the first of last December. o_O I don't mind waiting in line to see an attraction, or maybe even for something to eat, but we found ourselves actually waiting in line to walk? Needless to say, we left the park at that point.

I think the focus of WS (and within all of the WDW resort, to a degree) has really shifted toward the sale of food and merchandise from what it used to be. That said, I'm going to guess that neither Walt, nor anyone involved with designing the parks themselves envisioned any sort of experience where just moving from one area to another could become a complete chore.

I live close by and you are correct, my dream of running over to the parks take a leisurely stroll around WS has been destroyed. It's like swimming upstream continuously and not being able to find an area where you are going with the flow. I just want to be able to take four or five full strides and not get cut off.

NickMaio

Epcot is one of the most amazing theme parks in the world. Stimulus everywhere. I expect and welcome all the things you are complaining about. I personally find it charming and endearing to watch others revel in the magic that is WDW.

bhg469

Wow; that seems like so long ago now I that I forgot those entirely! I've only ridden once, but it was really cool to see those double decker's moving along the showcase. :)
This is a really good point. The booths are semi permanent now, plus so many stands that opened up. World showcase used to be a lot bigger for foot traffic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom