News Epcot Forever to debut as interim show before full Reflections of Earth replacement

lazyboy97o

Because while they weren't around when these movies released, they were raised on them. VHS releases of the 90s Disney classics were pretty much on loop in mine and many of my friends households.

Not to mention with TV being at least a decade behind in terms of writing young characters, the characters they were watching on TV all were 'Cool 90s kidz' that they emulated.

Not to mention that freshman for this group of college kids were born in 99-00. With a range of four -five years for college, most college students are 95-00.

Growing up with that media imprints that 90s style, and once they're finally old enough to do stuff on their own of course they'd naturally try and emulate it.
To answer your question honestly...

200.gif
College students are hardly a demographic with significant disposable income.

mikejs78

Premium Member
You’d be surprised.
This is true. I'm shocked at how many college kids these days basically have an unlimited expense account from their parents. An presumably by grabbing these college kids now, they'll be the next generation that brings their kids, gets every conceivable upcharge, etc once they start making money. So I see Disney's POV here, even if I disagree with it...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
This is true. I'm shocked at how many college kids these days basically have an unlimited expense account from their parents. An presumably by grabbing these college kids now, they'll be the next generation that brings their kids, gets every conceivable upcharge, etc once they start making money. So I see Disney's POV here, even if I disagree with it...
We live just a few miles form a decent size University. I know, and have met many college kids. about 1% of them have that "unlimited expense account" from their parents. The other 99% work their butts off at local restaurants, stores, bars, etc. I have spoken with enough of them to know that an $80 concert ticket is something they have to save up for. A vacation to WDW is simply not financially possible for them.

A college kid I knew from the local pizza place I frequent moved to Orlando last year. They recently came home to see family. I ran into them and asked if they had been to WDW yet and their response was, "no, its too expensive for me". Thats coming form a college kid that lives within 20 minutes of WDW and doesnt need to pay for a resort.

TwilightZone

We should stay on topic, but yeah college kids are not the main target, kids are. All the self aware humor may be confusing with that in mind, but if you ever seen teen titans GO! it becomes less confusing, that's just the kind of humor kids are into these days.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Same. And I'm part of that demographic!

Though I consider myself a bit justified because my parents have a family business I have to work under to make money. So I'm just part of the nostalgia group, not the "free money from parents" group. But even with that nostalgia group on my side, I still don't believe it's right to do all of this to Epcot. But I know of many many many others who just don't care and want more characters. So. Meh.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
We live just a few miles form a decent size University. I know, and have met many college kids. about 1% of them have that "unlimited expense account" from their parents. The other 99% work their butts off at local restaurants, stores, bars, etc. I have spoken with enough of them to know that an $80 concert ticket is something they have to save up for. A vacation to WDW is simply not financially possible for them.

A college kid I knew from the local pizza place I frequent moved to Orlando last year. They recently came home to see family. I ran into them and asked if they had been to WDW yet and their response was, "no, its too expensive for me". Thats coming form a college kid that lives within 20 minutes of WDW and doesnt need to pay for a resort.
This is also true. It depends who you ask and who your social crowd is. I wouldn't say the majority of college students have that unlimited expense. But, a lot do, I can assure you. There are many privileged college students out there who do go to Disney quite often. I, myself, just went with 6 of my college friends this past August, 2 other friends in July, and 2 more friends in May. There are also some colleges who do field trips, like Piedmont College's chorus group of 80 college students who are planning on going on tour in Florida this spring.

Definitely not the majority of college students... But once you add up how many colleges exist in this country, and how many students go to every single one of those colleges combined, those 'small percentages' begin to increase quite drastically.

EDIT: Also... Every heard of the Disney College Program? Where do they go during their free time? To the parks. Where they spend more money. ALSO... I had auditioned under the DCP to become a character performer in North Carolina... They told us there were over 3,000 students auditioning for just a couple hundred open positions. In case any of ya'll wonder how popular Disney World really is among us youngsters! :D (I did not make it in, though.... I'm an attractions cast member though!)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And I'm part of that demographic!
In all fairness, you are not exactly a demographic that Disney is putting any major emphasis on, in terms of college age kids. You said that you traveled to WDW several times this year with friends.
I, myself, just went with 6 of my college friends this past August, 2 other friends in July, and 2 more friends in May.
Judging by the timeline of WDW vacations you have displayed, you stayed on WDW property for one trip (April-Pop Century) out of the three tips you mentioned. Each trip was with one or more friends so its safe to say you split the cost of the room on each trip with one or more people. Pop Century in April averages about $175 per night for rack rate (no discount). That would be appx $90 per night if you split it with one other friend. The other two trips, you stayed off site and again, split the cost of room w/ friends. That would put you in a demographic of college age people who stay offsite a majority of their trips and are not dropping any major coin for the one time you decided to stay on site. Not exactly a demographic I think Disney is putting any major emphasis on in terms of advertising dollars and far from college age kids with "unlimited spending accounts" from mom and dad.

And please take no offense to my post. I think it is great you are able to travel to WDW several times a year w/ friends. That is seriously awesome. I am simply discussing the aspect of who(m) Disney may be deciding to allocate advertising dollars to.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom