EPCOT Food and Wine Festival crowds????

fmingo36

Original Poster
Just wondering...

If the crowd tends to be more adult at Epcot during the Food and Wine Fest or do you still see a lot of families with children?

Are people going just for the festival or are they riding the attractions?

Does EPCOT get crowded during on weekdays with the festival going on?

DolFan

I did not notice if the crowds had less children than usual, but there were more people in general. World Showcase was packed with people about 2 weeks ago, I have never seen so many people there at once. The wait for rides seemed the same as usual. It was also the passholder preview weekend for the Seas with Nemo, so that could have added to the crowds.

teebin

The weekdays are certainly 'slower' during this event. The weekends are HORRIBLE... do not go on the weekend! It's tourists plus 70 percent of Florida AP holders. I jaunted over two weeks ago and was shocked at how packed it was... every inch of world showcase was shoulder to shoulder. I walked really fast (nearly ran) to the boat to get to MGM it was so packed.

Gorjus

I happen to be a F&W Fest Veteran. If you can go during the weekdays, please do. The crowds are much less. If you must go on the weekend, here is your strategy: Plan ahead of time. Get a guidebook and decide which complimentary seminars you must attend as well as which booths are a must for you. Be at the Norway or France rope drop at 11 AM. Go to the 5 booths that are a must for you. This might mean skipping many countries in between, but that is ok. Do your must sees early while there are no lines. Then fill in the rest when waiting in line is probably a great idea and very helpful to your blood alcohol level.

A week ago Monday, I arrived at about 12 noon. I went to 3 seminars in a row. To get in to the seminar during the week, you had to be there 30 minutes. I'm guessing it would have been 60 on the weekends. At 5:30 I started walking around World Showcase. I concentrated only on Sauvignon Blancs and some of my favorite foods from the past. I was able to do it all by 7:30 PM. Next time I go I will concentrate on Merlots and then Pinot Noirs, and then Beers, and then, well you get the idea.

13 days till I'm a CM:sohappy:

Gorjus

fmingo36

Original Poster
Staying for Illuminations?

Do people usually stay for Illuminations or once they are done there tastings do they leave?:confused:

jeffb

I was there Oct 13 (EMH),14 and 15th and EPCOT was very crowded. I usually go during the slower times and can not recall seeing EPCOT with so many people. However due to the size of the park it never really feels that crowded except the queue times are long and getting a good spot for ROE is tough!

CrashNet

EPCOT is still mostly families through much of the day because of the food tasting. You'll find that families will seek out spots for Illuminations while younger groups and adults will hop in line for another beer etc.

Weekdays are best because on weekends all of the locals come out. It is packed on weekends. To be honest, it almost looks like the October down-season is becoming a thing of the past.

davinakb

I happen to be a F&W Fest Veteran... If you must go on the weekend, here is your strategy: Plan ahead of time. Get a guidebook and decide which complimentary seminars you must attend as well as which booths are a must for you.
That's exactly what we do. Just cannot emphasize the "skip the weekend" thing enough. We've done weekdays for years now and do so many more free classes. Just do our rides in the morning, then eat and drink around the world.
  • As to the rides, lines are lines. Newish attractions like Turtle Talk and Soarin' will always have a significant wait. Decide what you MUST do and fastpass it earlier in the day, then plan around it.
  • Regarding families, I think it's about the same. You often see kids at a KidCot station, or even at a make-shift one, while the parents are at a tasting presentation.
  • Closing show: if you want a seat on the water, dead center of the lagoon, be prepared to stake out your place a good hour before showtime.

fmingo36

Original Poster
I concentrated only on Sauvignon Blancs and some of my favorite foods from the past. I was able to do it all by 7:30 PM. Next time I go I will concentrate on Merlots and then Pinot Noirs, and then Beers, and then, well you get the idea.

Gorjus

By the end of the night, this is a giant Frat party, is it?:hurl:

inafog

I haven't been to Food and Wine in a couple of years. Last time I went I was a bit surprised at the number of drunk people I saw wandering around (after about six). One guy was pretending to converse with me while I talked to my husband on my cell phone. After I said, "Excuse me?" his friends pulled him off somewhere else.

I do enjoy the festival though--can't emphasize enough that the weekdays are best.

Have fun!

Gorjus

Like anything, the F&W fest requires a little responsibility. You have to know your limit. But accidents happen. Last year, I went one day by myself and had my plan of attack. I planned to do all the booths I loved first before the crowds piled in. Well, in my effort to avoid long lines at the booths, I went to too many booths too quickly and I had too much wine too quickly and ended up leaving the festival and going back to the hotel room (Disney drove). It was an accident I don't intend repeating. Sometimes the lines at the booths can be your friends.

Gorjus

LilRoo714

Last year, I went one day by myself and had my plan of attack.

Kudos for doing the park by yourself. I actually enjoy this once in a while and people are always shocked. :rolleyes:

I did the Festival on a Monday - although the seminars did still have long lines, there was practically no one around the showcase between 11am and 1pm. No lines for booths or the wine tasting in Australia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom