Epcot dissapointment

Sonic Sunglasses

[unwarranted snarkiness redacted, mea culpa and apologies to the OP]

I can see how that could spoil the enjoyment of the show since the globe is the centrepiece of the production. It's unfortunate that technical failures happen, but they do happen despite the best efforts of those responsible. I hope the rest of your day was enjoyable.

Last edited:

Siren

Wow. Tough crowd tonight. LOL.
paid and went to illuminations desert party tonight and the earth globe did not work
Never seen that happen before
OP, thanks for sharing your experience with us. This totally sounds like a fluke.

Unfortunately, random things like this can happen anywhere, even at Disney. And, I've seen Illuminations before without ever seeing the globe, it's a great fireworks show, regardless. But, I do understand the disappointment, especially given that you paid extra for the dessert party.

It is odd that the globe didn't work at all. Hopefully, it was just a glitch and not something more serious.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The globe is the worst part of Illuminations, in terms of stagecraft. They attempt to show some sort of moving pictures on it, but only on the land masses, which is just shy of 30% of the globe. And the globe ain't that big to begin with, so, it's terribly difficult to make out what is actually playing on the globe. And then, it's on the lake surface. Even in the FP or dessert section, you can get a few rows of people in front of you effectively blocking the view of the globe.

So, cheer up. You didn't have to strain your eyesight tonight.

ParentsOf4

Seriously people.

Someone reports that a major show element at a Disney theme park failed and all you can do is attack with snippy comments?

People spend a great deal of money to visit WDW and have rights as consumers to expect they will be provided with the goods and services they actually paid for, or to receive refunds when those goods and services fail to meet reasonable expectations.

Perhaps the worst bunch of Disney apologists I've ever read on these threads.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think the original poster has every right to be disappointed. I would be disappointed if that happened on a regular night, even more so if I had made the show it an occasion with the desserts party.

He/she didn't say the vacation was ruined. Some of the responses ridiculing the poster are not in the spirit of the forum.

Goofs Gal

Certainly things like this at Disney happen on a daily basis. Some go noticed and others not by guests. Sure if you are paying money especially for the dessert party it can be somewhat upsetting if there is a glitch in the system. No matter the show most definitely went on without the globe and it was as I have seen it several times stunning, I know it still didn't completely disappoint.

ParentsOf4

No one is being an apologist, we are realists. Crap happens and technical issues ARE NOT GROUNDS FOR REFUNDS. Seriously this entitlement attitude some of you have on this board needs to go. Next time I'm watching IllumiNations I'll be sure to throw a hissy fit at Guest Relations because major show element like the lasers or the inferno barge is not working , since according to your flawed argument Disney OWES ME! Maybe I'll pull the same stunt at MK when Tinkerbell doesn't fly or at DHS when Maleficent's dragon doesn't appear. Get over yourself
I suggest you step away from WDW and please consider other consumer good and services.

Let's use a play for comparison.

When people buy tickets to a play, they have reasonable expectations that the entire play will be presented, and that they will be given the seat they paid for. They have reasonable expectations that the actors will try to give it their best performance.

However, even if the play is headlined by a star, those consumers are not guaranteed that the star will be there. Actors become ill and have other valid reasons for missing a performance. In this case, an understudy will fill in. Consumers have reasonable expectations that the understudy will give it their best performance.

In the example of the Reflections earth globe not working, it's as if the understudy didn't bother to show up and the audience watched the play with a major character missing. (That would make for some strange dialog. ;))

Regarding this thread, the OP reported a (presumably) factual event and simply expressed their "disappointment" (per the title of this thread) that a major show element failed. The OP simply reported "Never seen that happen before".

Yet several attacked the OP for no good reason.

I politely suggest that you go back and objectively read what the OP originally posted, and the responses that immediately followed. IMO, it was a completely uncalled for response. :)

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
paid and went to illuminations desert party tonight and the earth globe did not work
Never seen that happen before
Sorry to hear, and my apologies for the less than helpful replies from some of the other folks here. Some criticize too much, while many others defend too much I guess.

I don't think I ever saw the show without the earth barge. I remember a number of years ago they did some testing where they purposely ran the show without it, likely prior to a refurb I assume, but I never caught it; however, this occurrence sounds like a fluke.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The OP simply gave an update on their experience. With the exception of the word "dissapointment" in the title, there was not any harsh words or complaints, just an update.

At least his thread was actual news. How many threads have been started lately in the "news and rumors" section that are nothing more than questions? "whats the plan for innoventions", "anyone seen Bonny Apetit".

@FigmentForver96 , Your comment was hilarious and quite topical. The kids at those schools should be ashamed of themselves for crying and playing with dough while wasting their parents hard earned money they paid for their childs education

orky8

I suggest you step away from WDW and please consider other consumer good and services.

Let's use a play for comparison.

When people buy tickets to a play, they have reasonable expectations that the entire play will be presented, and that they will be given the seat they paid for. They have reasonable expectations that the actors will try to give it their best performance.

However, even if the play is headlined by a star, those consumers are not guaranteed that the star will be there. Actors become ill and have other valid reasons for missing a performance. In this case, an understudy will fill in. Consumers have reasonable expectations that the understudy will give it their best performance.

In the example of the Reflections earth globe not working, it's as if the understudy didn't bother to show up and the audience watched the play with a major character missing. (That would make for some strange dialog. ;))

Regarding this thread, the OP reported a (presumably) factual event and simply expressed their "disappointment" (per the title of this thread) that a major show element failed. The OP simply reported "Never seen that happen before".

Yet several attacked the OP for no good reason.

I politely suggest that you go back and objectively read what the OP originally posted, and the responses that immediately followed. IMO, it was a completely uncalled for response. :)

Eh, I'd liken it more to a set piece not working. It'd be like going to Phantom of the Opera, but the Chandelier is broken and they have to leave it out of the play. I'd be extremely disappointed, as the chandelier lifting over the audience really sets the mood for the play at the beginning and likewise when it comes crashing down (before intermission, if i recall correctly). But, it's not like Christine didn't show up.

Either way, though, I do agree with your initial post that people need to be more sympathetic, as we all used to (and should) hold Disney to the highest standards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom