Entry scanners at Magic Kingdom all down

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
The entry scanners at the magic kingdom are all down and nobody is able to enter the park. I can't imagine this is due to capacity. Has this ever happened before? There's a pretty impressive queue of people waiting to get in now.

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
The entry scanners at the magic kingdom are all down and nobody is able to enter the park. I can't imagine this is due to capacity. Has this ever happened before? There's a pretty impressive queue of people waiting to get in now.

Aaaaaand it's back. That was a tense 15 minutes

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep it has a happened a few times previously, along with complete outages of FP+ and dining reservations.

blueboxdoctor

Sometimes we rely too much on technology.

Unfortunately this is what happens in the early years of new tech/computer programs (or really anything new that is complicated, like cars). Though, I feel like it has been out for a while now, perhaps they're continually rolling out updates, which sometimes interfere with other things, which then requires some quick fixing.

But I do agree that in some ways it was easier when dining reservations and fast pass were done the previous way.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So the CMs standing at the turnstiles with iPads aren't able to scan a guest's MB or ticket and let them enter? Interesting, because they've scanned mine many times.

RobidaFlats

So the CMs standing at the turnstiles with iPads aren't able to scan a guest's MB or ticket and let them enter? Interesting, because they've scanned mine many times.

Presumably it wasn't the scanners themselves that failed, rather the system behind them, which is also what the ipads talk to.

donsullivan

Premium Member
There really is no reason it should happen, ever, backup systems should be in place.

You are assuming (without any facts that I can see) that it's a failure vs a planned update to software or hardware in the back-end systems that took longer than projected or had an unexpected problem that delayed return to normal service.

Minnie Mum

You are assuming (without any facts that I can see) that it's a failure vs a planned update to software or hardware in the back-end systems that took longer than projected or had an unexpected problem that delayed return to normal service.

If this had happened at RD, I might have agreed that this might be a valid, if completely lame, excuse. But mid day, when they had been operating earlier in the day? Or at dinner time (a different day, when we were there) and every restaurant and store in WDW suddenly couldn't process purchases? Or in the afternoon when suddenly the FP readers ALL go down? What reputable, competent IT department implements updates DURING operating hours?

This was just another example of Disney tech's lack of reliability.

Updates should not be performed during operating hours.

Agreed.

mgpan

I tried to modify a fastpass around that time and couldn't retrieve anything on MDE including hotel and dining reservations. It was back up in only 15 minutes. I wish all problems with our servers at work would be corrected by IT that fast!

rob0519

It had to be a failure if the system was running from park opening until noon. No company, not even Disney will take a planned outage at Noon.

Technology breaks. The cost of having a mirrored backup system that kicks in immediately would be incredibly expensive. It's conceivable that because the outage was only 15 minutes that it was the backup system coming online.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom