Rumor Entertainment Cuts Coming

jrhwdw

Oh sure!!!! Cut Soundsational suddenly, with no mention if we're getting Magic Happens in 2020. Then do a cavalcade that can't run with MSEP. Then cut News Boys and LK Dancers!!!!! What's next, DL Forever and Halloween Screams getting cut now too??!?!?! Why cut entertainment that's people like(I believe Soundsational and News Boys were popular, no clue about LK Dancers)?????? Will all the cuts to entertainment drive more people away? I do love most Disney Parks Entertainment, so I could be biased.

Maybe DLR needs a HEA or something like that. IDK why since DL Forever and RDCT work beautifully with DL Forever's tech.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Entertainment (and the parks in general) always see budget cuts in the fourth quarter of the fiscal year (July/Aug/Sept). Galaxy's Edge may have made the cuts a bit deeper this year, but they always happen. A quick Google search finds that both the Oswald M+G at DCA and the live performers from Rivers of Light were cut in Q4 2018, Minnie's Fly Girls being cut from DCA just after Q4 2013 ended, and this article shows a few different Entertainment acts being cut from WDW in Q4 2016. It's disappointing to see cuts, especially to Entertainment, but also relatively commonplace for Disney this time of year.

Yup... as they approach Q4.. we always get the 'nip and tuck' to get the numbers lined up and talent gets trimmed as Disney strong arms what elements they will renew in the coming year.

Figments Friend

Ew, gross! :D

Trust me, I wouldn't let Mr. Chapek get close enough to read me his Parks Blog poetry he writes late at night, let alone immerse me in anything. That man is just gross.

I was just making fun of how his script writers constantly make him use the word "immersive" in all his canned speeches and talking points. Nothing more, I swear on my copy of The Nickel Tour!

It's okay TP.....I believe you.
You are a classy guy I respect, and I know you have far better tastes.
:)

In regards to Mr. Chapek and his 'immersion' obsession....

I think some Park Fans ( and maybe some Imagineers ) would like to see the guy immersed in a barrel of ice cold water.
Perhaps that will help re-focus his concentration and wake him up a bit regarding what Theme Parks truly need to thrive and provide a long term return of investment.

( hint - it is NOT yet another overpriced shopping 'experience' )

-

captveg

Welp at this point it doesn't make sense to have the trolley boys (or trolleys) come out from a alien warehouse fortress powerplant area that came out of nowhere. In fact the 1930's theme is probably dead at this point and gasping for life.

It makes for a charming hub, but the rest of Hollywood is surely on the reformation schedule within the next decade.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It makes for a charming hub, but the rest of Hollywood is surely on the reformation schedule within the next decade.

I always thought Hollywood Land could use some extra love, but not like this :( most likely, succumbing to IP and Chapek's pathetic implementation methods.

TrainsOfDisney

What's next, DL Forever and Halloween Screams getting cut now too??!?!?! Why cut entertainment that's people like(I believe Soundsational and News Boys were popular, no clue about LK Dancers)??????

Fantasmic would be next. So many live performers! *gasp* Some Pyro could always be cut from the fireworks if times get really desperate.

Soundsational was very popular.
I can’t comment on Newsboys but they added atmosphere and people generally watched them.

The lion king dancers are part of a bigger show, the lion king show as a whole is excellent and very popular. While the dancers aren’t a huge part of the show, it’s not good to cut things from an existing show like that. It’s like cutting the dancers from festival of the lion king... you’d still have the singers and it would still be a show but it wouldn’t seem like such a large show.

TsWade2

I hate Bob Chapek now! He's a greedy miser and has no respect to the legacy of Walt Disney. I am so mad, I feel like posting this song to make an angry mob:

TrainsOfDisney

Wow. :p

I think the current fantasmic is pretty good, the pirates dialogue is cheesy and in general pirates of the carribean doesn’t fit the show, but that’s really my only complaint.

jrhwdw

They got rid of Fantasmic a few years ago. Ending what’s currently there and replacing it with night rides aboard the Mark Twain with a live band would be a massive improvement.
Let's be honest here. The only reason F! was down for 1.5 years was to build SWGE! The SWGE that now apparently is giving DL low numbers.. I'll admit that I love how SWGE looks, can't wait for it to land in DHS(along with Skyliner which I'm more looking forward too) But I'm wondeing if it was a good idea to build SWGE??? F! went down right after New Years 2016, couldn't cover for PTN when it needed referb in 2017 so DL needed MSEP back from MK, couldn't even make the day of F!'s 25th birthday in May 2017!

I love F!2.0 too but I'm starting to wonder if everything was worth it????

TROR

Let's be honest here. The only reason F! was down for 1.5 years was to build SWGE! The SWGE that now apparently is giving DL low numbers.. I'll admit that I love how SWGE looks, can't wait for it to land in DHS(along with Skyliner which I'm more looking forward too) But I'm wondeing if it was a good idea to build SWGE??? F! went down right after New Years 2016, couldn't cover for PTN when it needed referb in 2017 so DL needed MSEP back from MK, couldn't even make the day of F!'s 25th birthday in May 2017!

I love F!2.0 too but I'm starting to wonder if everything was worth it????
No, and not even Rise of the Resistance can make it worth it.

captveg

No, and not even Rise of the Resistance can make it worth it.

I haven't seen the new F! yet myself, but considering the Fort had been closed on TSI for years already I honestly like the new backside of the river more than the older incarnation. So even if I end up not liking anything about GE there's been no longterm negative effect for me.

TROR

I haven't seen the new F! yet myself, but considering the Fort had been closed on TSI for years already I honestly like the new backside of the river more than the older incarnation. So even if I end up not liking anything about GE there's been no longterm negative effect for me.
I do like the new falls, but I don't like how there's no more backwoods and you never feel secluded anymore.

PiratesMansion

what’s the main problem with 2.0? It doesn’t seem that different to me.

Nothing really, some people just convinced themselves that the original was the BESTEST THING DISNEY DID EVER OMG and novelized how every single thing about it was so MAGICAL and FLAWLESS and TIMELESS. You know, MSEP 2.0.

I mean, the Pirate ship bit I can see (though I always thought the PP segment was the most overrated part of the show), but everything else? Nostalgia goggles worn by those who saw it way, way too many times and apparently need to bring it up in every thread.

I'm convinced that high ticket prices are partially responsible for this outcome. IMO Disneyland is grossly overpriced unless you are an AP holder. A DLR vacation is simply too expensive now for a lot of families.

That said ticket and hotel prices can be adjusted to bring up demand. Perhaps the addition isn't drawing the anticipated crowds, however projects of this scope aren't meant to be a single seasonal attendance driver, and Disney has various ways to manipulate pricing and promotions to increase overnight visitors if it's desperate for them. Give it some time before jumping to conclusions. While things might not be going as planned at the moment I'd be very surprised if this current scenario continues forever.

Edit: I just checked current ticket prices and for tomorrow a single day 1 park pass is $150, and a single day 2 park pass is $200. Add a couple more days to the passes, a RT flight from SF, hotel, meals, and ground transportation and I'm easily down over $1000 just for 1 person to go to Disneyland. No thanks. It's no wonder the place is dead this summer.
Definitely, and made worse with all the cuts. Incidentally, the best theme parks I can think of outside of Disney and Universal (Busch Gardens parks, Silver Dollar City, Dollywood, maybe even Knotts) tap out around $80/person and I don't think they're markedly worse than Disney in a lot of ways. At the very least, many of those places are trying harder to up their game, or at the very least adding more attractions, than Disney has been.

They really should have moved to a Tokyo model, with day tickets around $70, and APs that are cost prohibitive unless you are visiting the parks upwards of 15 times a year. And, of course, getting rid of the payment plan. I don't know that modern Disney is capable of such thinking, but it would really make a lot more sense and would help solve the problem of how the parks in CA are currently being used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom