Rumor Entertainment Cuts Coming

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

FREEZE! Disneyland Implements Hiring Freeze and Cutbacks
By
Dusty Sage
-
July 10, 2019
Things are getting serious at Disneyland where a hiring freeze and budget cuts have just been implemented in response to low summer attendance.
All departments have been asked to cut labor hours and make other cuts as necessary. The park had staffed up for the expected huge crowds for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. When those crowds didn’t appear, Disney unblocked Cast Member admissions and launched discounted pass holder tickets. While those admissions do seem to be successful, it isn’t enough to make up for soft hotel room bookings and short attraction waits.
Guests should expect to see entertainment, custodial, and non-essential labor cuts immediately at the resort.
All they had to do was make a Falcon queue with a ramp you could walk on and people would still have their jobs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Of course. I think what I’ve said so far is fine, but I deleted it anyway. No more info from me. Sorry, guys.
You were fine, don't let another poster scare you from posting. Just use common sense and don't post internal secrets about the company and you'll be fine.

The fact that no one from Entertainment was in your Traditions class isn't some internal secret nor does it give any indication of Disney hiring at this moment in time. Its an observation on your Traditions class, nothing more. People can glean whatever information out of that that they want.

oo_nrb

Entertainment (and the parks in general) always see budget cuts in the fourth quarter of the fiscal year (July/Aug/Sept). Galaxy's Edge may have made the cuts a bit deeper this year, but they always happen. A quick Google search finds that both the Oswald M+G at DCA and the live performers from Rivers of Light were cut in Q4 2018, Minnie's Fly Girls being cut from DCA just after Q4 2013 ended, and this article shows a few different Entertainment acts being cut from WDW in Q4 2016. It's disappointing to see cuts, especially to Entertainment, but also relatively commonplace for Disney this time of year.

TP2000

I’m sure the already lackluster Marvel plans are being slashed to the bone too.

Mr. Chapek has already replaced the D Ticket dark ride with this guy.

He works for pizza and beer, but his stunts need some work.

Over at the Hank Pym Ant Man Micro-Brewery, Mr. Chapek has decreed that the beef sliders be priced at $18 but be the size an ant would eat because then you will be IMMERSED!.

tiny-food-4.jpg

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Mr. Chapek has already replaced the D Ticket dark ride with this guy.

He works for pizza and beer, but his stunts need some work.

Over at the Hank Pym Ant Man Micro-Brewery, Mr. Chapek has decreed that the beef sliders be priced at $18 but be the size an ant would eat because then you will be IMMERSED!.

tiny-food-4.jpg

As you enjoy your pint sized burger, all of the Microbrewery employees will share stories of various ant infestations they’ve personally experienced throughout their lives. 🐜

Amidala

Take all these rumor threads with a grain of salt. But keep your ear to the ground and let your fellow posters know if you hear anything...

Entertainment (and the parks in general) always see budget cuts in the fourth quarter of the fiscal year (July/Aug/Sept). Galaxy's Edge may have made the cuts a bit deeper this year, but they always happen. A quick Google search finds that both the Oswald M+G at DCA and the live performers from Rivers of Light were cut in Q4 2018, Minnie's Fly Girls being cut from DCA just after Q4 2013 ended, and this article shows a few different Entertainment acts being cut from WDW in Q4 2016. It's disappointing to see cuts, especially to Entertainment, but also relatively commonplace for Disney this time of year.

Adding to this, my friend just started at Land and has said she's been getting very short hours & has been ER'd (Early Release) from work multiple times w/o ever requesting to do so. We've both worked WDW before and found this odd, since there always seemed to be a very "all hands on deck" approach w/ costumed CMs over in FL (even during "slower" seasons) and we generally weren't granted ERs when we asked for them, let alone unprompted w/o reason. That being said, definitely taking the insistence that SW:GE is "failing" with a grain of salt, and agree it's a combination of things...The reservation system & word of mouth scaring off tourists and the mass blockouts of locals/APs more so than anything else. Wasn't aware of the trend of Q4 cuts, but it would make sense for this to factor in as well.

Yes, things like lack of streetmosphere will likely impact the satisfaction of guests while at SW:GE, but I have a hard time believing it would impact a family's decision to come. It's diehard Disney fans who find these kinds of omissions really glaring, and as mentioned...many of those Disney fans (including locals) are blocked out anyway.

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Original Poster
The problem is that Disney is trying to attract new guests, not have the same APs visiting again. Star Wars was supposed to have people traveling all over the world to DL to stay in their on property hotels for a couple of days. It was supposed to attract tons of general admission folks. In some cases it was assumed to attract more people to become APs. This is why all the crowd flow improvements were made and why a brand new parking structure was built. Yes more food and merchandise will sell when the APs are unblocked, but this will not meet the end goal that GE was supposed to provide. If Star Wars Land's only return on investment is that the same people that are already passholders continue to show up, it will be a massive failure in the company's eyes.

I don't know, I can't imagine Disney expected that sort of change so quickly for Disneyland... Especially with them opening a duplicate at DHS mere months apart... Why would tourists switch to a Disneyland visit when DHS is coming also? Now, if they had only opened it at Disneyland, this could be a different story.

munchiezxx

I wish they’d take rctnb to dhs, but I feel like that’s extremely unlikely :( They do it without the trolley now anyways though

D

Deleted member 107043

The problem is that Disney is trying to attract new guests, not have the same APs visiting again. Star Wars was supposed to have people traveling all over the world to DL to stay in their on property hotels for a couple of days. It was supposed to attract tons of general admission folks.

I'm convinced that high ticket prices are partially responsible for this outcome. IMO Disneyland is grossly overpriced unless you are an AP holder. A DLR vacation is simply too expensive now for a lot of families.

That said ticket and hotel prices can be adjusted to bring up demand. Perhaps the addition isn't drawing the anticipated crowds, however projects of this scope aren't meant to be a single seasonal attendance driver, and Disney has various ways to manipulate pricing and promotions to increase overnight visitors if it's desperate for them. Give it some time before jumping to conclusions. While things might not be going as planned at the moment I'd be very surprised if this current scenario continues forever.

Edit: I just checked current ticket prices and for tomorrow a single day 1 park pass is $150, and a single day 2 park pass is $200. Add a couple more days to the passes, a RT flight from SF, hotel, meals, and ground transportation and I'm easily down over $1000 just for 1 person to go to Disneyland. No thanks. It's no wonder the place is dead this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

The same can definitely not be said about Mr. Chapek, but apparently TP had a very special experience.

;)

Ew, gross! :D

Trust me, I wouldn't let Mr. Chapek get close enough to read me his Parks Blog poetry he writes late at night, let alone immerse me in anything. That man is just gross.

I was just making fun of how his script writers constantly make him use the word "immersive" in all his canned speeches and talking points. Nothing more, I swear on my copy of The Nickel Tour!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom