Enlightenment Please: What is a Lifestyler?

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
The term "Lifestyler" has popped up here and there throughout threads and I'm trying to figure what it means. o_O

Is it a WDW subculture? People who work at WDW? People that have no jobs and endless money and practically "live" at WDW? People that ONLY vacation at WDW? Are we lifestylers because we're active in the boards and follow WDW news? All of the above?

I know others are confused as well so I thought I'd throw the question out there.

Thank you. :)

NowInc

Typically,

People who are known (and sometimes make a living) from their opinions/info of Disney. Some run blogs, some have popular social media accounts.

I think thats a broad explanation, I leave it to others to provide a better explanation...but be warned a lot of people don't think too fondly of lifestylers.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
As long as they have jobs/lives and it doesn't interfere with normal healthy personal, professional relationships - it seems ok, like a subculture.

Making money... Like a travel consultant/agent who runs a blog? That's cool - connecting a passion with a profession is something few people are lucky enough to do.

If they're exploiting others or it's an unhealthy obsession (which you can find in many subcultures), then that is weird and a bit creepy. If they are rude and condescending to non-lifestylers, and it's interfering with daily life, then that is sad - they have snorted too much Pixie Dust, have OD'ed and need a life... as in, "for-real Peter Pan Syndrome, I can't grow-up because I can't face reality" - type of creepy.

I've seen some FB folks and IG accounts that are trying too hard to become WDW celebrity and their posts are drivel - I'm thinking some of that may be this crowd while others are more respectable?

I'm thinking there's more to this and it will be interesting to follow other contributors responses.

Last edited:

The_CEO

Sure, start a YouTube channel with a quirky name related to Disney and visit the parks with a video camera. Every time you notice a change in a dirtpile or renovation, film it! In fact, make long videos and monetize them on YouTube and you'll hit 100k subscribers in no time!

:)

Daniel Johnson

Sure, start a YouTube channel with a quirky name related to Disney and visit the parks with a video camera. Every time you notice a change in a dirtpile or renovation, film it! In fact, make long videos and monetize them on YouTube and you'll hit 100k subscribers in no time!

:)
Yea, I'm good. I got a good 300 instagram follows, I don't need more. I don't do video. No one wants to see my ugly face.
And Disney wouldn't get on board with an angry guy who swears too much, drinks too much, and fights too much.

Good the kids these days are making a living, too bad it seems to be a here today, gone tomorrow field.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Making a significant portion of one's life decisions based on Disney.

If you really enjoy the brand and the experience and you are meaningfully connecting it to your life (such as professionally, career track-wise like running a site like this, a travel agent or working for the company), then all the more power to you! That is following your passion/dream - few people get to live their passion.

Now... If you're spending Mommy & Daddy's $ "living" in the parks when you should be working or in college and instead living in their basement blogging to get "free stuff," by posting drivel - such as (examples I've seen floating around WDW FB groups and IG):

- Endless selfies around WDW. :banghead:

- Your 1,000th stalker-qualifying visit to (insert WDW character-hottie here). Seriously, you must be creeping out "the friends" by now. o_O

- Your 1-millionth "kooky n quirky" pose of the Trolley cast (I followed an IG WDW photog account recently because I wanted to see the Dapper Day fashions - those Trolley pics ate up my IG newsfeed!). :facepalm:

- The "hidden Mickey-poo" that someone left in the toilet in the new NFL bathroom. Ewww. :grumpy:

That's not providing a service to anyone and it's sad that you want to be a celebrity because of it.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

As long as they have jobs/lives and it doesn't interfere with normal healthy personal, professional relationships - it seems ok, like a subculture.

Making money... Like a travel consultant/agent who runs a blog? That's cool - connecting a passion with a profession is something few people are lucky enough to do.

If they're exploiting others or it's an unhealthy obsession (which you can find in many subcultures), then that is weird and a bit creepy. If they are rude and condescending to non-lifestylers, then that is sad - they have OD'ed on Pixie Dust and need a life. As in, "for-real Peter Pan, I can't grow-up because I can't face reality" - type of creepy.

I'm thinking there's more to this and it will be interesting to follow other contributors responses.
Based on what I read, Disney actually gives lifestylers freebies if they own websites as example such as the owner of the Inside the Magic website.

There is a type of a lifestyler that doesn't run a blog. A good example that is Jeff Lange.

Jeff Lange actually is a lifestyler that sells Disney's DVD's on his own website that he makes including Disney Holiday DVD's. Jeff's website actually is an internet store. I know about him due to me getting his DVD's for Christmas gifts. Jeff actually records stuff at theme park like Micky's Very Christmas Party as an example and puts it on DVD to sell.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
^^^ I bought the 2008 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas parade DVD from him via eBay years ago!

That is a great service he provides! It was our daughter's first trip (she was 3), and we recorded the parade but the lighting was terrible and it did not turn out.

I was sad because she loved the parade and I wanted a record of it. I found him selling the DVD's on eBay and was so happy! Years later our kids still watch it (especially this year when we turned on the "WDW Christmas Day parade" to see no parade at all and instead the "Frozen show."

That's a valuable service/good. It's great he turned that into a career.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This guy and his selfie stick (circa 2012, they existed then, just weren't called that).

I don't mind the term. To those who have found a way to make money off Disney, good for them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Is it just me or does anyone else find watching videos from self sticks unnerving??? As if the video looks fake or green screened.....
To be fair to him, it's rather hard for him to set up a full filming setup without attracting attention.

Doesn't really bother me. At least he's not using it on rides incessantly.

Lou is the, if you want to know the term "lifestyler" as used on the forum...he's the king of them. He's made quite a decent living off of being an "expert" on WDW.

The "fan" community doesn't like him because he tends (tends...well, DOES) focus only on the positives, and never the negatives. He's about as informative as the Disney Resort TV Channel. I won't get more into that, as it could get really complex, quickly...

But, as I said, I don't fault him one bit for that. And, power to him, for creating his own niche market.

jlthomas81

To be fair to him, it's rather hard for him to set up a full filming setup without attracting attention.

Doesn't really bother me. At least he's not using it on rides incessantly.

Lou is the, if you want to know the term "lifestyler" as used on the forum...he's the king of them. He's made quite a decent living off of being an "expert" on WDW.

The "fan" community doesn't like him because he tends (tends...well, DOES) focus only on the positives, and never the negatives. He's about as informative as the Disney Resort TV Channel. I won't get more into that, as it could get really complex, quickly...

But, as I said, I don't fault him one bit for that. And, power to him, for creating his own niche market.

Oh, I found the video to be very informative. It's just something about the way it moves in hand or something. Just isn't natural I guess.

Butbyes, good video and thanks for the example of a lifestyler!

Daniel Johnson

I have absolutely no issue with anyone getting a little something extra because they use their free time to run a blog or website dedicated to a brand, such as Disney. I do however have a problem with someone using their children to get something extra. Much like the thread this thread was born out of. Not that I want to get back into bashing those folks.
I've worked hard for what I got, and I came from money. I've done unquestionable things thinking it would pay big dividends quickly. I've now paid for that decision. I have no issue with someone else getting something I don't. When I'm paying for the same thing as someone else...I can get mouthy when it's belatedly obvious. I probably sound like an oxymoron...

Daniel Johnson

Is Tim Tracker on YouTube a lifestyler? I love that guy, and he never talks about his everyday job. Not that I'll like him any less, now I'm curious. I'm a mechanic, can I lifestyle that?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom