Trip Report englanddg's Getting a bit Enthusiastic Escapade...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Well...I haven't done a trip report in a while.

Once again (suprise, suprise) the Disney website was slow and difficult. Though, this time I did completely book online instead of doing all the research there and then calling.

I didn't take screen shots or video as I have in the past, because, this trip really wasn't planned. It is solely based on a few conversations....

See, my kid has said, over and over, she wants to go. And, I've been putting it off until they finish the updates and figure out what the heck they are doing with WDW....

But, this year, she is a teen. And, this is something that only parents may understand, there may not be another year when she really begs me to go. Especially after 14...and high school hits, etc....at least for a while....

I would like to take advantage of that before that happens, that click, we all have, when you become the "teen" not the "kid".

She is 13, now....the days of "magic" are over, sure, but she remembers.

This was the age when EPCOT facinated me, as well, so...I get it. In fact, I plan to "let her off the leash" quite a bit. And, you may see reports from her directly. So, it's interesting to me. To see how she, a year or two later, feels about the place.

As far as booking, as I said, wow, the website is crap. Is still crap. Slow and misleading.

I got a good price for Pop, and booked that. I did shop Uni's hotel, and others (their sites are far worse). Things I wouldn't have done years ago...but, when you are waiting for the Disney site to load, might as well see what the Uni price is....but the Pop price was reasonable.

No dining plan...though I may add that later.

No tickets, at this point, because the kid is deciding how many days she wants at Disney, or at Universal.

And, I'll be frank, she wants a lot at Universal....specifically, Harry Potter. She is aware and interested about Animal Kingdom's upgrades, so I'll be sure to program that in....but, otherwise, this isn't the same level of interest she had in Disney prior.

Then there is the stuff I will toss in, like the horseback riding, and possibly Archery courses. She actually talks more about her Ft. Wilderness stuff to this day than anything we did in the parks. And, that sortof holds solid for my experience about her age. I really loved Typhoon Lagoon (which was new), but didn't care much for Space Mountain.

So, buying tickets for every day, probably isn't the best move. Anyway, I have until the 20th to add them.

One interesting thing I noted, if I do the hotel alone online (first time I haven't called to book), I get the down payment option. If I add tickets, I need to pay in full now. This, is rather silly. Either have one or the other.

I'll update later, but not with my normal day to day plans, or anything like that. This trip is very...different.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Good luck with your plans! Incidentally, any time I've booked a (WDW owned, on-site hotel), I've only booked room-only. It only requires a 1-night deposit, and gives you a more lenient cancellation window.

For park tickets I just buy them ahead of time at home--at my local AAA office, (which by the way, gives me a discount). Those are the plastic "card" tickets which I prefer--I hate the bands, but you can convert your card tickets to bands at WDW, (if you prefer to pay the extra for them), upon your arrival.

Meal plans--for me, I've never needed a meal plan; but I'm sure for others, it may be a good option.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Good luck with your plans! Incidentally, any time I've booked a (WDW owned, on-site hotel), I've only booked room-only. It only requires a 1-night deposit, and gives you a more lenient cancellation window.

For park tickets I just buy them ahead of time at home--at my local AAA office, (which by the way, gives me a discount). Those are the plastic "card" tickets which I prefer--I hate the bands, but you can convert your card tickets to bands at WDW, (if you prefer to pay the extra for them), upon your arrival.

Meal plans--for me, I've never needed a meal plan; but I'm sure for others, it may be a good option.
I've crunched the numbers in the past, and the meal plan worked out. But, the last few trips where the kid (and I don't necessarily blame her) didn't want to run around between ADRs....it didn't.

So, for this trip, I want to leave things a bit more open.

I do find it amusing that I still am having trouble booking Be Our Guest, though! Popular!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
So, the only thing set in stone right now are the flights and hotel.

Tentative plans...

Sat - Arrive at hotel, late. Most of this has to do with the fact she will be flying down alone. I will arrive well before her, as we've done in the past, so I can meet her at the gate. We'll eat at the Airport, most likely, as the Pop Food Court will be closed (10p?) by the time we arrive.
Sun - Magic Kingdom. Gotta do MK first....
Mon - WDW, probably Ft Wilderness here as well...gotta call and see when the Horses are doing their thing.
Tue - WDW, EPCOT?
Wed - Universal
Thurs - Universal
Fri - WDW, Hollywood Studios?
Sat - Magic Kingdom
Sun - Depart

That's....not nearly as planned as I've done previous trips. Not at all....in the past I've basically booked them solid with activities.

I do need to take a peek at when the shows are running, as we are coming in very late this year and the Summer schedule is turning into the Fall schedule for Disney....but...still, by now, normally I'd have everything mapped out.

The only exception to my planning obsession was the quick weekend trip we did for the Halloween Party a few years back (and I never finished that trip report, I probably should).

The kid is also deciding if she wants to see SeaWorld or Legoland on the trip...so, things could change!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
The most unenthusiastic post, I suppose.

I got my Mickey Mail for Magical Express.

I also set up the Magicbands today.

I am really quite a bit....well, not happy about this trip.

I love that we are going, mind you. But, I'm also anxious, because...I don't really want to see WDW in the state it is in. I stopped going for a reason.

Well, she wants to go. And, and this is important, she wants to go to Universal.

So, I should take advantage, I suppose.

We shall see....plans will be incoming, as well as how I normally trip report. A bit more detail. But, right now...not much to say...

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That said, tomorrow after I'm done with work, I'll call Ft. Wilderness to book the stuff she and I enjoyed the most. Horseback riding, etc. That, I will pay for. But, at Disney, not really the best we've seen....

Yeah....

I think your enthusiasm might perk up a bit, once you're there with your daughter. She's had a lot of fun there and also at Universal in the past. Even if some things may have changed (not all for the best, I agree), there are still plenty of fun attractions and experiences awaiting for the both of you. Try not to overthink the planning too much.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Spend less time in the doom and gloom forums, at least until your trip. WDW is still amazing.
Quite true.

I don't spend too much time in any of the forums anymore, outside of lurking...

I have a sinking feeling, this is the last time I will get to experience it with her....as a "kid"....

And, as her hormones kick in, I know it's only going to get....different. In fact, this trip will be...different.

For example....

I made this before I ever took her to Disney.

It isn't easy being "Daddy" who isn't there....or "Dad"...or whatever.

Not that I don't appreciate it all, but, she is now older, and has ideas, and concepts. Planning a trip isn't as simple as:

or...second trip...I was ready that time...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
So, I suppose....

This trip will be fun. But, I'm not excited...

In fact, I'm going into it with a bit of skepticism.

So far, Disneyworld.com has been, ok. It doesn't flip out like it used to.

Far cry from this...

Sortof....

It's still very slow....

But, at least I don't get errors every few clicks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
So, final booking is done. MBs are ordered. I need to poke around at ADRs and FP+....

Tickets are not yet added (don't have to do that yet, and I'm still not sure how many days we will do at WDW...but, I suspect 5, with 2 at Universal).

The Ft. Wilderness stuff isn't booked, I will call tomorrow about that.

This is one of the most disorganized trips I've done since our first one in 2010....I don't know if I should feel ashamed, or anticipative.

And, part of that anticipation, for WDW to prove me wrong, that we will have an excellent experience....because I hold them to a low standard....

Perhaps that can spark the joy in me again about it.

Perhaps not. I'm not sure....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So, final booking is done. MBs are ordered. I need to poke around at ADRs and FP+....

Tickets are not yet added (don't have to do that yet, and I'm still not sure how many days we will do at WDW...but, I suspect 5, with 2 at Universal).

The Ft. Wilderness stuff isn't booked, I will call tomorrow about that.

This is one of the most disorganized trips I've done since our first one in 2010....I don't know if I should feel ashamed, or anticipative.

And, part of that anticipation, for WDW to prove me wrong, that we will have an excellent experience....because I hold them to a low standard....

Perhaps that can spark the joy in me again about it.

Perhaps not. I'm not sure....

I understand that there needs to be a bit more planning, when there's more than one person. But some reasonable planning aside, how about some spontaneity as well? Maybe go to MK, for example, and just take in the sights on Main Street USA, or listen to the Dapper Dans (they perform at various times), or maybe go buy a few Mickey ice cream bars and watch a parade, after going on a few attractions. Sometimes a leisurely approach to the day can be fun, too.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I understand that there needs to be a bit more planning, when there's more than one person. But some reasonable planning aside, how about some spontaneity as well? Maybe go to MK, for example, and just take in the sights on Main Street USA, or listen to the Dapper Dans (they perform at various times), or maybe go buy a few Mickey ice cream bars and watch a parade, after going on a few attractions. Sometimes a leisurely approach to the day can be fun, too.
Great advice. Thanks!

I really just don't want to go back to the "everything is planned, everything is set" mentality.

I think that is part of what burned me out about WDW to begin with. The crowds of it all, the need to preplan.

I sortof miss the early trips, where we just did what we did. Where *I* got to enjoy it, rather than be the taskmaster to keep to the schedule.

This Saturday I'm telling the kiddo, and asking what she wants to do. How many days at Disney? How many days at Uni? Legoland? Sea World?

Her choice....

And, I think, once I get that feedback, I will be a bit more excited, because, this will be something we plan together, instead of the top down method I've used in the past.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
So....we haz plans!

In the past, I have planned the heck out of these trips. The last trip we did to Disney (outside of the trip that fell through that was supposed to be to Disneyland Paris)...was a weekend trip for a Halloween Party.

And, for that trip, I didn't plan much at all. We stayed at the now defunct Nickelodeon Resort (which I actually enjoyed). And, overall, had a blast and just did our thing.

So....this trip, with a very tall (she's 5' 2" now, whaaa?) kiddo, I decided to let her in on the planning.

And, this is what she's decided.

1) She wants to see Pandora (I do too, so...great)
2) She wants to eat at Be Our Guest (I...well, that's a tall order, but ok....great)
3) She wants to see Cirque (they aren't open right now it appears)
4) She wants to see Harry Potter (ok, great, we'll peel off a few days for Universal)

So, here's what she and I came up with.

THIS COMING SAT - Fly in. I arrive a few hours before her, because she's flying alone. She loves....LOVES flying alone. The whole "adventure" aspect of it, I suppose. So, she is very excited about that. The issue is, I had to book my flight to arrive early, and hers to arrive a few hours later, and with prices, that means that her flight doesn't land until around 5p or so. That basically cuts off the whole day as travel, and we probably won't be checked in and settled at the hotel until close to 8p.

Now, that isn't such a bad thing. I've tried all sorts of "meet up" concepts over the years to get her, and we always end up with one day that is basically a "waste" for travel getting down there.

So, the general plan is that she will arrive, and we will Magical Expressify ourselves over to our hotel (Pop Century). Drop off the bags. And, then make a choice. Either we'll do some stuff around the hotel, or maybe, if things go quicker than expected, head to Disney Springs and hit up Splitsville! But, I suspect we'll just hang out around the hotel.

Sun - Animal Kingdom, all day. No ADRs, no hassle. We will review things on the bus the night before to see if there's anything she wants to ADR for. Fastpass is really limited because, well....I didn't buy the tickets until today (yeah, this whole trip has been a kerfuffle)...and, frankly, I'm willing to wait until Sat and see how things go at this point. Na'vi River Journey doesn't have anything available all day, so we'll be standby. I'm hoping with the lower crowd levels, not too bad....so we'll see.

May I step in here and say....I still really don't like FP+....

Mon - Epcot, all day. "I gotta get my Figment on!" says the kiddo. I agree, I agree. Again, no plans, no ADRs.

Tue - Hollywood Studios / Magic Kingdom. HS for the morning. As half the park is torn up, not such a bad thing. She isn't interested in anything outside of Toy Story Land and Rock N Roller Coaster. After that, well, this is where things get interesting.

So, I called WDW-DINE to find out when (and if) Be Our Guest was even an option. Frankly, I was tired of poking through the site / app, and it's still silly to me that they don't allow you to check an entire date range for an opening, considering how much they push these restaurants as part of the experience (especially places like BoG).

But, whatever, a quick call to WDW-DINE, and they could do it. And, there were only two. TWO. One was Tuesday Night at 8:45, the other Friday at 4p. Well, Friday she had indicated she'd rather do Sea World (maybe, that's still a maybe)....but, Tuesday works.

However, Tuesday Night...something is going on and MK is closing early. What?

This is what...

How interesting....

So, I booked the Be Our Guest, and called the kiddo to ask how to proceed. She started with the question we all should ask...

"Halloween? It's only August!!?!"

But, overlook that, she was thrilled at a chance to go again to the party, so I booked that...and then we got to talking costumes. I was planning to do as I did last time and go as Waldo, and she could do whatever (last year she did Assassin's Creed). But, no...she wanted to go as a "themed costume" we both share.

At first she wanted Harry Potter, but then thought about the heat of the robes and decided on...Pokemon.

Yes, we are going as Pokemon. She is going as Pikachu, and I'm going as Ash Ketchum.

How...fun. I really don't mind this choice, actually, as the costumes we decided on (after about an hour and a half poking around online together) are basically built around normal clothes for the most part. So, this makes travel and packing and such easier.

Maybe she'll want to do some facepaint for Pikachu....or not, we are still working that part out. But, the costumes themselves are going to be pretty easy to travel with.

Weds and Thurs will be Universal.

Friday, we have a Disney Park Ticket for this, but may not use it if she decides she wants to go to Sea World (which, she is iffy about since she found out that the Shamu Show is no longer).

Sat - Whatever we want to do.

Sun - Breakfast at hotel (one final chance to massacre a Mickey Waffle!) and travel back home.

And, I have to say...I started this process not very enthusiastic...but, I'm getting there...I'm getting there!

I'm feeling this bubbling....it could be...it could be...magic!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
And, yes, the kid and I are both very excited about Universal. Harry Potter....need I say more?

GO VOLS!

She has the interactive wand already, I need to get one this trip. We are gonna wand the heck out of that place!

Oh, and MIB. We both want to do MIB again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom