England Pavillion and Prince Philip

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Oh here she is bragging about her wealth, you rich people are all the same :D
high roller laughing GIF

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Indeed. Most people don't realize France was involved at all, much less that French troops/supplies/navy were the biggest reason the war was won.

Also a major part of the eventual French Revolution, but that's a whole other thing.

France is the US’s oldest and most important ally from a historical perspective...

any American that talks ill of France is frankly a fool.

nickys

Premium Member
Oh another 'posh' bragger. "Look at me people, we could afford a car when I was a child". Probably be saying you had an inside toilet next as well :mad:
We had an outside toilet too, although I don’t think it actually worked; I remember the cat had her bed in there. And next to that was a coal bunker - useful had we not lived in a smoke free zone. And we had a real, live rag and bone man who came down the street with a cart and shire horse. This was as late as the 80s.
Aye, it was a quaint old life. 😜

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We had an outside toilet too, although I don’t think it actually worked; I remember the cat had her bed in there. And next to that was a coal bunker - useful had we not lived in a smoke free zone. And we had a real, live rag and bone man who came down the street with a cart and shire horse. This was as late as the 80s.

1880’s? 🤔

mergatroid

I grew up in Altrincham. We had a rag and bone man but he didn't have a horse sadly, he actually used to pull his cart himself. He had learning difficulties and was a real character, he'd shout stuff nobody could understand as he walked along. Sadly a number of years ago he was attacked by youths one night for no apparent reason after he'd had a few pints and they did a job on him putting him in hospital. He was so traumatised by it that he stopped working and going out, he's probably passed away by now. Sorry to ramble on, it just always gets me mad when I think of a harmless, hardworking man with learning difficulties like that being attacked.

Just read that back to myself, boy talk about me being a thread killer :oops: Let's get back to talking about how rich you are :D

Nubs70

Original Poster
Had a conversation about the outside toilet with a lady on the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Sam Magic

While that was eloquently put, it is completely inaccurate.

The Declaration of Independence and the Redress of Grievances contained within it are not accusing Parliament of the offenses, but the monarch itself.
Regardless, Great Britain, the king, or both, were viewed quite negatively in the colonies. Many liked them and were loyalists, but many did not as well.
In the end, the colonists organized, planned, and rebelled.

Not a myth. It did happen.
“The History of the present King of Great-Britain is a History of repeated Injuries and Usurpations, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid World.”

Most of the Declaration of Independence is a list of grievances that each start with “He has.” It is not a plea for help.
Elegant rebuttals, though still not entirely within the accurate scope of the available historical record.

The injuries and usurpations outlined in both documents are all acts committed by Parliament. Parliament, of course, receives its power to govern from the monarch. The wording in both documents reflects not specific grievances against the monarch himself, but instead his majesty's government (Parliament).

Additionally, it is a complete myth that everyone in the American colonies, save for the "Many [who] liked them and were loyalists", viewed Great Britain and the King negatively. While public opinion had certainly shifted against the empire and crown in the immediate years preceding 1776, most colonists, especially those outside of New England, were not wholly hostile towards the King and in favor of rebellion. Even Georgia hesitated for an extended period on whether or not to join the revolution.

A book that goes into far greater depth on this issue than I could ever hope to on a forum is The King's Three Faces by Brendan McConville. I thoroughly recommend it as it brilliantly utilizes new historical research to recontextualize the first century of American history.

Last edited:

TokyoMiki

Parliament, of course, receives its power from the monarch.

That obstinate puritanical leader in the House of Commons Cromwel and his "new model army" thought differently than you do.
In the 1640's Parliament had enough of that "divine right monarchy" malarkey and chopped some heads. Just ask Charlie on his way to the block in 1649.

Sam Magic

The Declaration of Independence is not an accurate reflection of the Declaration of Independence?
Not what I said.
That obstinate puritanical leader in the House of Commons Cromwel and his "new model army" thought differently than you do.
In the 1640's Parliament had enough of that "divine right monarchy" malarkey and chopped some heads. Just ask Charlie on his way to the block in 1649.
And just ask Cromwell how well that worked out for him? The last time I checked, Cromwell's band of merry fools only lasted for 11 years.

Parliament still receives its authority to govern from the Crown. Hence why the Prime Minister must be asked by the Crown to form a government, why the government is officially referred to as "His/Her Majesty's Government", and why only the Crown can dissolve Parliament and hold new elections.

UNCgolf

Not what I said.

And just ask Cromwell how well that worked out for him? The last time I checked, Cromwell's band of merry fools only lasted for 11 years.

Parliament still receives its authority to govern from the Crown. Hence why the Prime Minister must be asked by the Crown to form a government, why the government is officially referred to as "His/Her Majesty's Government", and why only the Crown can dissolve Parliament and hold new elections.

Cromwell and the rest also never really intended to topple Charles I. They were basically pushed into killing him as a last resort because of his intransigence. Then they had to more or less pick up the pieces and figure out what to do since there was never any such plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom