England Pavillion and Prince Philip

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Besides, we all know England is south of Watford.

nGMrD.gif

Michaelson

I've read all 4 pages and still don't know if there was an answer to the OP. Did they do anything to recognize the passing of Prince Phillip?:oops:

Oh, and I once had a friend from Shropshire correct me when I first asked where in England they were from. They told me they were from Shropshire in the UK, NOT England, so I'm still just as puzzled as anyone else here in the US, as it seems folks THERE aren't sure. ;)

Regards! Michaelson

UNCgolf

When American colonists rebelled in 1776, the United Kingdom had existed for almost 70 years. The U.K. was formed in 1707 with the passage of the first Acts of Union, which united the English and Scottish Parliaments. Wales had long before been annexed into England (Wales' identity as its polity outside of England is a relatively recent invention by Tony Blair's late '90s reforms.)

Our national myth that we rebelled against evil English overlords and an oppressive monarch is somewhat false. It's undoubtedly the national myth, but it's a bad one. For starters, the rebellion was initially against Parliament--not the King. Secondly, the monarchy was extremely popular in the United States until the revolution. It's why the Declaration of Independence was addressed to the King; there was still hope their beloved monarch would intervene on their behalf and gain them parliamentary representation.

The national myth we're all familiar with today is more a product of post-revolution propagandists.

Beyond that (in addition to what I mentioned above about France), it wasn't even remotely a unified effort. The national myth suggests that everyone came together to fight off the English but there were actually huge numbers of loyalists who supported the English and of course plenty of people who just didn't really care. It was a relatively small group of people that led the original push for independence -- those people were not still supporting the king, though.

The vast majority of what regular US citizens learn in high school history classes is hopelessly skewed at best and outright false at worst.

JIMINYCR

I've read all 4 pages and still don't know if there was an answer to the OP. Did they do anything to recognize the passing of Prince Phillip?:oops:

Oh, and I once had a friend from Shropshire correct me when I first asked where in England they were from. They told me they were from Shropshire in the UK, NOT England, so I'm still just as puzzled as anyone else here in the US, as it seems folks THERE aren't sure. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Since no one has replied, I'm guessing they didnt do anything. With the F&G festival going on they want to keep everything bright and upbeat. Real death is a subject Disney tries very hard to push aside and not address. Death in their films is addressed very cautiously and so briefly as to state the fact its happened and then move away from it as fast as possible.

nickys

Premium Member
No, but some do a deep fried Mars bar.
They stole that from us! 😜 I’ve seen deep fried curly wurlys and crepe eggs too. Never had the courage (or foolhardiness) to try any of them.

I did once have deep fried pizza, kinda like a crispy calzone. Big mistake, never again. 🤮

Bet they don’t do deep fried haggis ...... on second thoughts maybe they do

nickys

Premium Member

Regards! Michaelson
Refer back to the map.
England is in the U.K. It is not the only nation in the U.K. Your friends were obviously pro the Union and wanted to make their point. Or they were playing with you. Or both. 😁

Michaelson

Since no one has replied, I'm guessing they didnt do anything. With the F&G festival going on they want to keep everything bright and upbeat. Real death is a subject Disney tries very hard to push aside and not address. Death in their films is addressed very cautiously and so briefly as to state the fact its happened and then move away from it as fast as possible.
Thanks! That makes perfect sense! :)

Regards! Michaelson

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom