Energy efficient air conditioners

matt9112

Ours are massive. I can fit 4 or 5 55gallon bags in one. Unfortunately they didn't fit where the old cans did.
You can't lift these even when empty, like the smaller cans so I build a level flagstone sidewalk next to garage just for the garbage. By the time I bought all the stones, sand, leveling stones etc it cost me the equivalent of a round trip airline ticket to accommodate rolling garbage bins. Gotta love it when government solutions are looking for a problem.

Our issue is the recycling one. ( we have two) the trash one is ok but we recycle a TON and this one is back logged.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Our issue is the recycling one. ( we have two) the trash one is ok but we recycle a TON and this one is back logged.
They must have screwed you guys on size. The cans we got in J-ville were huge. We got one for trash and one for recycling. Previously or recycling was limited to a little 15 gallon bin once a week. Now we have a 96 gallon can every other week. The only time I have an issue is if we clean the garage or something producing a larger than normal about of trash, but most of the time the can will go out at only 50%-75% full.

MaryJaneP

Those new cans you speak of suck too....you can't fit sh$t inside them.....

1. You aren't supposed to use them for sh$t. That goes elsewhere for either natural or municipal recycling.
2. Households in our area got two toters of equal size. One for trash, one for recycling. Much better than the previous system of cans for trash and a 15 gallon bin for recycling.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This has become my biggest pet peeve lately and it is not just unique to the Disney resorts. It seems like every hotel in the world has jumped on this bandwagon.

It seems like all air conditioner units are quickly being replaced by so called "energy efficient" controls, which means that there are motion sensors, and if the sensor thinks no one is in the room, the unit turns off to save energy. Fine. But when you are in bed, sleeping, what then?

Recently, every hotel I stay in, I wake up sweating to death because the unit has shut off in the middle of the night.

At our Yacht Club room this past Seotember, we finally had to complain, and they sent an engineer to our room to do an "over-ride" so that the cool air kept flowing constantly.

Has anyone else run into this? We like our room very cold, so maybe it's just me.
This actually is a very inefficient way to operate your HVAC units. It's a myth. I've done direct comparisons of what it costs to run HVAC units continuously to maintain temperature with good insulating materials as opposed to what it costs to have the units turn off and then heat up.

In addition, most power companies for business accounts charge a "peak rate" vs a "non-peak rate"...so, when someone wakes up (generally during peak rate, in the morning) and gets home (also during peak rate, early evening), powering up the unit automatically is just a poor financial decision.

The unit pulls the most power when the compressor is running. By allowing the room to heat up during the day (or at night), the unit then must run the compressor longer (rather than short bursts to maintain temp).

If they want to maintain the most energy efficient model, they should invest in better insulation in the rooms, specifically the windows and doors, and install thermostat units rather than the "lo - med - hi" units. Motion sensors offer absolutely no savings at all.

Whomever thought this up is a moron, or at the very least listened to the HVAC salesman rather than doing their homework.

Nubs70

It has nothing to do with energy efficiency and everything to do with saving money.

If it were cheaper to set the thermostat low in the summer, they'd set it at 50 degrees, lol.
No different than municipal recycling. They charge for an additional bin, then sort and sell the recyclables.

luv

No different than municipal recycling. They charge for an additional bin, then sort and sell the recyclables.
We get three bins for one price: garbage, recycling and grass/bush trimmings. I'm happy to recycle because I think it is doing some good. I'm not sure that it is, but I hope so! :)

Nemo14

We have mandatory recycling, but we no longer have to separate the recycables like we used to. We have to leave the trash and recycle bins curbside by 6 a.m. and if your recycle bin is not out there when the garbage truck comes, they will not pick up your trash bin.

luv

We have mandatory recycling, but we no longer have to separate the recycables like we used to. We have to leave the trash and recycle bins curbside by 6 a.m. and if your recycle bin is not out there when the garbage truck comes, they will not pick up your trash bin.
That would rub me the wrong way and make me less inclined to participate, lol.

I do wish they could all go out the same night, though. We have three different garbage nights - one for each can.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That would rub me the wrong way and make me less inclined to participate, lol.

I do wish they could all go out the same night, though. We have three different garbage nights - one for each can.
If you don't participate then they don't pick up your garbage....pretty straight forward. I kind of like the idea.

Nemo14

If you don't participate then they don't pick up your garbage....pretty straight forward. I kind of like the idea.

The problem is though, if they pick up your recycle bin first, you can't put it back until they pick up your trash. So on windy days you still have to leave them out and then go find them down the street when you come home. At least the new ones are heavier so they stay put better.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The problem is though, if they pick up your recycle bin first, you can't put it back until they pick up your trash. So on windy days you still have to leave them out and then go find them down the street when you come home. At least the new ones are heavier so they stay put better.
I figured there was a drawback SOMEWHERE!

The Mom

Premium Member
When I was traveling in Greece, some of the newer hotels had a system where you had to insert your room card into a reader right inside the door, and leave it there, to use the A/C and power in your room. If we went out to dinner, the room would heat up again. But it did cool quickly, so I was able to sleep.

However, many people had to get another key, because they forgot to remove it when leaving the room.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When I was traveling in Greece, some of the newer hotels had a system where you had to insert your room card into a reader right inside the door, and leave it there, to use the A/C and power in your room. If we went out to dinner, the room would heat up again. But it did cool quickly, so I was able to sleep.

However, many people had to get another key, because they forgot to remove it when leaving the room.
They have those on the Disney Ships. Thing is, they would work with any card as they are simply a mechanical switch. I stuck an old KTTW card in ours.

Hot Lava

They have those on the Disney Ships. Thing is, they would work with any card as they are simply a mechanical switch. I stuck an old KTTW card in ours.

aaaaaand more very useful info on this thread!

I grew up with no a/c, so summer was no fun. Pretty much no one I knew had a/c.
But the worst was when I was in Darwin, Australia. He stayed in a hostel that only ran a/c from 6 pm to 6 am. It was the middle of winter, but that means nothing there. It was so hot in the room in the day!.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster

We encountered this one at the Westin in Georgetown (DC) two weekends ago. We had two keys so we left one in the slot and took one with us. Worked out fine.

The thing where the air conditioners shut off during the night when they think no one is in the room is for the birds.

Minnie's BFF

We are currently at the Yacht Club and we still have the old fashioned a/c control and we keep the room very cold at night. They must still be switching to the new controls. Anyhow I did appreciate the "heads-up" and the video I case we ever encounter the new a/c controls.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So, we are about 20 days out until our next trip, so I am dredging up this zombie thread again to see if anyone has any recent experience- positive or negative - with these things. Thanks in advance.
:)

phxbbw6ft1

we've had the exact same problem, particularly hate it if we want a hot shower at night after a long day in the park. we like a cold room too, like 65-68. first time we had a room with that form of sensor was in 2007 at the grand floridian and now at every disney resort we've stayed in. i get where they're coming from but the room can get sooooo warm at night especially in the summer. on top of that i hate it when housekeeping opens the curtains during the day. a moving balloon is the best fix we know of also...that and i bring a small clamp on fan and an extension cord just wish i didn't have to.
We Love a cold room too- We're staying al all stars music- Do the rooms get cold?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom