Emergency room cancellation policy

ELG13

Original Poster
After we booked our trip we found out Im pregnant again. Our last pregnancy ended up in an emergency hospital admission. I'm worried that I won't be medically cleared to go at the last minute. I've had no issues up to this point but, after having an emergency situation occur out of nowhere last time I'm trying to be prepared this time. The cast member I spoke with on the phone was very kind but seemed very...vague.....in what she told me the policy was for a room only cancellation so I wanted to see if any of you find people to could confirm or clarify for me. She said that we could cancel within 5 days but I forgot to ask if there was some financial penalty involved. I told her we would definitely reschedule the trip for a few months out. She said we could do that as close as the day before (she may have even said the day of) with no penalty at all. Granted, our conversation was not this straight forward. This is the info I gathered in our convo. She kept saying Disney was a magical place and they wouldn't throw us out etc. I'm assuming she was new because she definitely didn't have the Disney vibe down. I have a doctor's appointment a few days before we leave so I'm keeping that as my last chance to cancel point and it's two days before we leave. If that happened no wouldn't be medically cleared to travel. So...has anyone had experience with this????

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The room-only T&Cs specify risk-free cancelling BEFORE 5 days prior to arrival, so it'd be purely at Disney's discretion whether or not they'd waive and let you rebook.

But in my experience, when you change your arrival date by more than a day or two, they cancel and rebook you anyway, and would refund the existing deposit in the meantime. So if you do that more than 5 days out, it's no penalty.

Any chance you could move your appointment up a week?

Last edited:

ELG13

Original Poster
From my last confirmation email in late 2017:

CANCELLATION POLICY
In order to receive a refund of your deposit, including credit card deposit transactions, notification of cancellation must be received at least 5 days prior to your arrival date. To cancel or modify a reservation, call (407)-W-DISNEY(934-7639) or you can cancel or make changes to many reservations online by visiting DisneyWorld.com/MyTrip and signing in to your Disney account. If your reservation can be canceled or changed online, it will have a Cancel or Modify Reservation link next to it. Just select the link to start the cancellation or change process. If you don’t see the Cancel or Modify Reservation link, please contact us at (407) W‑DISNEY (407‑934‑7639). Additionally, if you are holding any other types of reservations, such as dining, those reservations will not be cancelled unless you cancel them or advise us to cancel them.
But what if we reschedule?? She said I could do so day prior or even day of. I called to specifically ask so we could purchase trip insurance if necessary but I feel like and Emergency hospitalization or not being medically cleared to go should require a purchase on my part.

drizgirl

Rescheduling without a penalty would be a case by case thing. You would just have to explain what's going on and hope for the best. They're usually pretty decent in these situations. But you aren't going to see it as a written policy.

ELG13

Original Poster
Do you have a room reserved or a package (with tickets and whatnot)?
Here’s some info from MouseSavers:

How far along will you be on the trip?
28-29 weeks. My last pregnancy ended up with emergency hospitalization at 30 weeks. I still have hypertension from it but it's totally controlled and I have much better chances with a healthy pregnancy this time. We booked this trip after we lost our son in that pregnancy and the kids are really looking forward to it and Lord knows i don't want to reschedule this trip .

ELG13

Original Poster
Rescheduling without a penalty would be a case by case thing. You would just have to explain what's going on and hope for the best. They're usually pretty decent in these situations. But you aren't going to see it as a written policy.
That's probably why the cast member seemed so vague.

RememberWhen

I’m so sorry for your loss. And I’m very hopeful that things will be better this time. I’m sure your doctors will be on top of your care, so I would just be checking in with them as much as possible. It’s very hard to foresee these kinds of complications. Assuming everything is going well, there’s no reason you can’t have a safe and fun trip. It might make me a little nervous to be there at that time in my pregnancy, but you know yourself and what you can do. I expect Disney to be pretty understanding in these situations, but as was said above there may not be a written policy for what you need.
Check in with your doctors as you go. I would like to think that if you can’t make it for medical reasons and that you’re able to move the reservation to a later date, that Disney will work with you.
Wishing you a safe and healthy pregnancy. ❤️

ELG13

Original Poster
I’m so sorry for your loss. And I’m very hopeful that things will be better this time. I’m sure your doctors will be on top of your care, so I would just be checking in with them as much as possible. It’s very hard to foresee these kinds of complications. Assuming everything is going well, there’s no reason you can’t have a safe and fun trip. It might make me a little nervous to be there at that time in my pregnancy, but you know yourself and what you can do. I expect Disney to be pretty understanding in these situations, but as was said above there may not be a written policy for what you need.
Check in with your doctors as you go. I would like to think that if you can’t make it for medical reasons and that you’re able to move the reservation to a later date, that Disney will work with you.
Wishing you a safe and healthy pregnancy. ❤
Thank you! And yes we are monitoring closely and if I have the slightest unease with going I won't. Nothing is worth that risk. I'm just hoping for a smooth, uneventful pregnancy. And a wonderful mother's day in Disney!

correcaminos

Thank you! And yes we are monitoring closely and if I have the slightest unease with going I won't. Nothing is worth that risk. I'm just hoping for a smooth, uneventful pregnancy. And a wonderful mother's day in Disney!
I wish you a smooth pregnancy as well - so very sorry for your loss and such a hard pregnancy last time. It's never easy being pregnant after something like that (been through it myself). My heart goes out to you and best wishes for the remainder of the pregnancy.

ELG13

Original Poster
I wish you a smooth pregnancy as well - so very sorry for your loss and such a hard pregnancy last time. It's never easy being pregnant after something like that (been through it myself). My heart goes out to you and best wishes for the remainder of the pregnancy.
Thank you so much!! And I'm sorry for your loss as well. It's a club that no one wants to join.

correcaminos

Thank you so much!! And I'm sorry for your loss as well. It's a club that no one wants to join.
Thank you. That was the phrase that a pregnancy/infant loss support group I volunteered with would say. My rainbow baby is now 12 so at least for me I have a very happy ending.

DisAl

If you have not already made your final payment you might want to consider trip insurance. I think it is something less than $80 per person.

YankeeMouse

We have had to cancel a couple of times but rebooked, even a few months later. They applied the deposit to the new reservation or another time simply canceled it and gave us our money back (same day we were arriving) because they could see that we had 2 upcoming reservations.

ELG13

Original Poster
We have had to cancel a couple of times but rebooked, even a few months later. They applied the deposit to the new reservation or another time simply canceled it and gave us our money back (same day we were arriving) because they could see that we had 2 upcoming reservations.
This is what I'm hoping for if it comes down to it. We are AO holders so we go several times a year.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I too am very sorry for your loss. I truly hope that this pregnancy goes well. If you are going to purchase travel insurance, please be sure that you look at their policy for preexisting conditions.

Pam

Dave B

I personally do not think you will need travel insurance, I can't fathom in any way how Disney would not work with you as long as you talked to them prior to the trip, if you were to call after you missed your first or second day I could see them giving a little push back, but they would also be able to see that you have not used your tickets or checked in.

ELG13

Original Poster
I personally do not think you will need travel insurance, I can't fathom in any way how Disney would not work with you as long as you talked to them prior to the trip, if you were to call after you missed your first or second day I could see them giving a little push back, but they would also be able to see that you have not used your tickets or checked in.
That's my thought too but I've been burned before (not by Disney) and all I keep thinking is how upset I'd be if i lost my trip and had to pay. I'm keeping the faith though 😆

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom