Elsie The Cow

Woody13

Original Poster
When I was a child there was a very famous cow named Elsie. Does anyone remember her, or am I just older than dirt? :wave:

Nemo14

Woody13 said:
When I was a child there was a very famous cow named Elsie. Does anyone remember her, or am I just older than dirt? :wave:
I remember Elsie, and I'm not that old...

oh wait, oh yeah, I AM that old!

Becky

Woody13 said:

Then of course there was "I'm a Carnation Cow. You kids can't see me now, but when you do..."

And finally Minnie Moo.:cry:

Woody13

Original Poster
Elsie was the first animatronic figure I ever saw. I grew up on a tenant farm in Virginia and we grew crops, raised chickens (collected eggs), milked cows (no machines), slopped pigs and that sort of thing. My Mom would go to the grocery store with fresh eggs and milk and trade the store owner (Mr. Garber) for other things our family needed. We never had any cash that I can remember.

At the store, they had this big Elsie the cow head chewing her cud! I was only 4 years old and that thing fascinated me. While my Mom was bartering with Mr. Garber in another part of the store, I was watching Elsie. She really appeared to be a contented cow IMO. I really liked her.

As a child, I used to fret over sick farm animals. I always wondered why there weren't cow, pig or chicken cemeteries.

Wow, I'm impressed with all the people who remember Elsie. I wish she was still around for others to see. :wave:

mrtoad

When I was a kid in the 1970s my parents use to get these ice cream bars that had a cow on the pack. They were vanilla ice cream covered with chocolate with nuts on a stick. The wrappers where a brown and white checker pattern with a cow head. They were my mothers favorite and there were tons of them in our large freezer in the basement and I remember getting in big trouble for sneaking down and eating like 20 of them once. I was grounded for life (again).

Would that be Else on there, does anyone remember? I have always wondered what they were as I have not seen them in years upon years.

AliciaLuvzDizne

Woody13 said:
Elsie was the first animatronic figure I ever saw. I grew up on a tenant farm in Virginia and we grew crops, raised chickens (collected eggs), milked cows (no machines), slopped pigs and that sort of thing. My Mom would go to the grocery store with fresh eggs and milk and trade the store owner (Mr. Garber) for other things our family needed. We never had any cash that I can remember.

At the store, they had this big Elsie the cow head chewing her cud! I was only 4 years old and that thing fascinated me. While my Mom was bartering with Mr. Garber in another part of the store, I was watching Elsie. She really appeared to be a contented cow IMO. I really liked her.

As a child, I used to fret over sick farm animals. I always wondered why there weren't cow, pig or chicken cemeteries.

Wow, I'm impressed with all the people who remember Elsie. I wish she was still around for others to see. :wave:
Clover from Stew Leonards...
StewLeonards014.jpg

Pull the rope and she Moo's

Woody13

Original Poster
AliciaLuvzDizne said:
She's still on the tiny cheese wheels...
I always call it the cow cheese

http://www.bordenonline.com/
Thank you for that link! That is Elsie just as I remember her. It's just a shame that I missed seeing her in Texas by one day. I have that site bookmarked and perhaps I will be able to see her next year.

But, at least I now know that others can see her. She's a good cow. Thanks again! :wave:

AliciaLuvzDizne

Woody13 said:
Thank you for that link! That is Elsie just as I remember her. It's just a shame that I missed seeing her in Texas by one day. I have that site bookmarked and perhaps I will be able to see her next year.

But, at least I now know that others can see her. She's a good cow. Thanks again! :wave:
No problem :D
glad that's what you were looking for :wave:

Debbie

Woody13 said:

I must be right behind you Woody :). Here's a bit of trivia: what was her calf's name? One of the last television commercials I remember featuring Elsie; had her fussing her calf. And I can still see the picture on the milk carton.
Another thing: anyone remember Sealtest?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom