Ella's First Disney Trip, Pre-Trip Report (September 6-15, 2011)

Well it's been a pretty slow week at the office (finally) so on a slow Friday morning I thought I would put together a quick pre-trip report on our upcoming trip back the World in September.

It's been a few years since we've been to WDW, our last trip was over the Christmas holiday in 2009. In that time away, our family has changed a lot! My wife, Kelly, and I welcomed our first child, Ella Rose, in late September of 2010. The last 9 months have been a blast and we've done pretty much everything we can to ensure she will be a big Disney fan just like her parents!

Now, on to the trip...our intention was to take Ella to Disney for the first time in 2012 when she was up and walking around and maybe talking a bit. We quickly changed our minds thanks to some big time Disney withdrawals and the fact that my wife gets off maternity leave in early October so we thought it would be a great time to get away and have a little fun with Ella without having to plan around her work schedule in 2012. After some quick discussion in early 2011, we checked out the prices on Expedia and decided to book!

The Players:Making the long trip from Edmonton, Alberta will be me (Matt), my wife (Kelly), our daughter (Ella) and grandmother's (both mine and Kelly's mom's) and the last minute addition of Kelly's cousin (Britt) who was also with us in 2009.
disneyworldcass007.jpg

Me and Kelly on our last trip

MeandElla.jpg

Me and Ella

When:
Originally, our trip was planned for September 6 -13 when we first booked. However, after Disney release the Halloween Party dates, we decided to extend the trip until the 15th so that we could attend the Halloween party on September 13th.

Where:
Again we made some changes to our original plans on where we are staying! When we first booked, we knew we were going to stay on-site at a Disney hotel for the first time. We stayed on-site last trip at the Dolphin but definitely wanted a Disney hotel this time around. The hotel we selected was Port Orleans French Quarter. After only a day, we quickly changed our minds and upgraded to Animal Kingdom Lodge. It looked great on the website and got many great reviews so we thought why not. After about a week, I was a little concerned about the distance of AKL from the Magic Kingdom especially, but to other areas around the World as well. I convinced everyone to change to Wilderness Lodge and we finally decided to stick with that!

The Game Plan:
We know this is going to be a much different trip than we are used to with Ella being there with us. She will pretty much be the boss of the trip and will likely have us spending more time at the hotel/pool than we would normally spend. I think it's a sacrifice that we are more than willing to make as we know this trip is going to create a lifetime of long lasting memories for everyone who is going, even if Ella won't remember it herself. We will certainly be spending a lot more time in Fantasyland as well which is cool and having the grandma's with us will still allow Kelly and I to get on all the good rides without having to do the child swap which is an added bonus!

As I mentioned earlier, we are doing the MNSSHP on September 13 and we've also made reservations at the following restaurants for different meals throughout the trip. In no particular order, we will be dining at 50's Prime Time Cafe, Cinderella's Royal Table, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, Le Cellier, Tony's Town Square, and likely one more restaurant that we have yet to reserve.

Aside from spending most of our time at WDW parks, me, Kelly and Britt will be spending a day at Universal to do something different and get a look at the new Harry Potter world, even though I know nothing about the Harry Potter universe at all!

Well thankfully this has helped kill a little time here at work! We are now under two months away from making the trek back to Orlando, which I am certainly counting down!

I know a lot of pictures will be taken while we are there which I will use for our Trip Report when we get back home!

Thanks to all for taking the time to read my first pre-trip report!

PolynesianPrincess

Going back to Disney sooner than expected is always GREAT!!! :sohappy: The WL is a GORGEOUS property. Our group dined at Whispering Canyon Cafe in May and my sister's meal was the best she's had on Disney property to date so hopefully you guys will enjoy it. 50s is also great, as well.

I'm not much of a HP fan myself either but Universal did a great job with that land. and the ride itself is AMAZING!!!

Can't wait to read the TR when you get back!! :wave:

HouCuseChickie

First off....What an ADORABLE pic of you and your daughter!!! So cute!!! :D

Secondly, we stayed at WL for our trip back in December. While some say the bus is the quicker way to MK, we found the boats to be more plentiful & enjoyable + we never had to fold up our stroller on the boats. :sohappy: Seriously- that it such a convenience factor! The pool is also really nice- at least from what we saw (it was in the 30s and 40s during our last trip- so we skipped swimming :().

Finally, I am so JEALOUS of your wife's maternity leave. I got just under 3 months with each of my girls :eek:

Can't wait to see the TR when you return!:wave:

meeskamickey

Great pre-trip report! I can't wait to read your report...and see pics! We went in May and had tried to make an ADR at Le Cellier with no luck :(. Have a great trip!!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Your trip sounds like it is going to be fabulous.

My daughter and I are also from Edmonton and will be at MNSSHP on the 13 th. Maybe we will see you there.

I am also doing a pre trip report.

You can find it here
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=727009

I will be updating it this weekend.

Thanks for reading! Very cool to know a fellow Edmontonian will be there during the same time period! Not sure if we will be dressing up for the party or not just yet but if not, I'll likely be wearing an Eskimo hat. I'm sure I'll be the only one in the park supporting the double E so feel free to say hi!

Enjoy your trip as well!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
First off....What an ADORABLE pic of you and your daughter!!! So cute!!! :D

Secondly, we stayed at WL for our trip back in December. While some say the bus is the quicker way to MK, we found the boats to be more plentiful & enjoyable + we never had to fold up our stroller on the boats. :sohappy: Seriously- that it such a convenience factor! The pool is also really nice- at least from what we saw (it was in the 30s and 40s during our last trip- so we skipped swimming :().

Finally, I am so JEALOUS of your wife's maternity leave. I got just under 3 months with each of my girls :eek:

Can't wait to see the TR when you return!:wave:

Thanks for reading! That is my favorite picture of her and I so I thought I might as well post it!

Good advice on the boat to MK! That will definitely be convenient in terms of not folding the stroller. Plus we wont be in too much of a rush at any point so taking to boat should be a pretty peaceful ride over.

As for the maternity leave, a perk of living in Canada I guess! She has the option of taking a full year and since she is our first child, she wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.

Thanks again for reading and for the advice!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
quick update...the wife picked up our passes the other day! This definitely makes the trip seem like it's coming very quickly.

b9e6790b.jpg

She also picked up Universal passes which I'm excited about as well (though nowhere near as excited as I am for WDW).

Trying to decide on one more dining reservation and we will be all set!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Final update...at least I think it is!

We finally settled on two more ADR's for our trip. We booked Tony's restaurant for dinner on September 13th. We figured since we have tickets to the Halloween Party that night, having dinner somewhere close would be our best bet.

The next morning we are dining at 1900 Park Fare for one last character meal before we head home the next day.

Aside from that, a friend of ours was able to hook us up with tickets to La Nouba on September 9. The only unfortunate part is that because Ella is not old enough, she cannot attend. That said, because I have seen the show already, I am the odd man out, which isn't too big a deal as I'll likely take Ella to MK that night for a few hours to have some fun on our own.

Like I said, I think this will be the last update before we fly down to WDW. We will be taking our laptop so I'm planning on at least trying to write a trip report for the day when we are back in the night! Should be a lot of pics!

PartOfYourWorld

You have a beautiful daughter!
And Can't wait to hear about MNSSHP!!! Going for the first time at the end of September!

I'm sure you guys will have such a great trip with her being that young!
Have fun!!! :wave:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Your daughter is beautiful! Hope you all have a wonderful time on your trip!!

You have a beautiful daughter!
And Can't wait to hear about MNSSHP!!! Going for the first time at the end of September!

I'm sure you guys will have such a great trip with her being that young!
Have fun!!! :wave:

Thanks a lot! Thankfully for her, my daughter gets her looks from her mom!

The closer the trip gets, the more I seem to post here! I can't wait to get down there again. Looking forward to sharing the good time we have with you guys on the board

Sarabell

Sounds like a great plan! and I love that you get to go to WDW ealier than expected! I hope you have a great time which I'm sure you will cause you'll be with your little cupcake in WDW for the first time. No better way to pill you mind with great memories!

BTW, your little Ella is so stinking adorable!! she looks like a cabbage patch baby!:wave:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Sounds like a great plan! and I love that you get to go to WDW ealier than expected! I hope you have a great time which I'm sure you will cause you'll be with your little cupcake in WDW for the first time. No better way to pill you mind with great memories!

BTW, your little Ella is so stinking adorable!! she looks like a cabbage patch baby!:wave:

Thanks Sara! I'm really fired up to take her down, even if she won't remember it herself.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Oh and I thought I was done with updates but I totally forgot to add this yesterday. I also booked a haircut at the Harmony Barbershop in the Magic Kingdom on September 7. I've always wanted to try this out so I thought I might as well do it.

Made sure to get my haircut here in town the other day. By the time my appointment rolls around, I will definitely be in need of a trim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom