DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster

Poster -

FcQIVK7akAAjfRS.jpeg

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Disney’s Pixar today named the lead voice actors for its upcoming animated feature, Elemental. The film’s director Peter Sohn and producer Denise Ream, who previously collaborated on The Good Dinosaur, announced the castings, as they brought to the stage actors Mamoudou Athie (Jurassic World Dominion) and Leah Lewis (Nancy Drew).

Inspired by Sohn’s childhood in New York, Elemental journeys alongside an unlikely pair, Ember (Lewis) and Wade (Athie), in a city where fire, water, land and air-residents live together. The fiery young woman and the go-with-the-flow guy are about to discover something elemental: how much they actually have in common."

“The idea [for Elemental] started with my parents. As immigrants to the U.S. from Korea in the ’70s, they had no family, nothing. But they managed to create a life here in New York,” Sohn said in introducing the film. “And just like them, many people have left their people and families to a new land, with hopes and dreams, all mixing into one big salad bowl of cultures, languages and neighborhoods.”

Ream went on to describe the story as one “about anyone who’s ever made a sacrifice or taken a risk, set it in the hustle and bustle of the city, but with a twist.”

BrianLo

Ya the actual hook from now having seen it is actually a good one. The fire character is not simply anger.

None of the clips made her seem like a hot head and none of the clips made the water elemental out to be a Crush knock off. They are much more muted.

The analogy here is one of being an immigrant (the fire character), who essentially moves to a water dominated city, that becomes more of a big city melting pot, fish out of water thing. The two characters are actually likely going to fall in love (or are very early in the movie), but they cannot touch. So also not simply a Joy and Sadness rehash.

mf1972

not a bad looking trailer. nice to see pixar go back & do something original instead of sequels. i looked up the voice cast of the 2 main characters & i’ll admit i have no idea who they are 🤪

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
not a bad looking trailer. nice to see pixar go back & do something original instead of sequels. i looked up the voice cast of the 2 main characters & i’ll admit i have no idea who they are 🤪
That's a good thing for two reasons:

1. They're not having to pay top tier A-List stars and wind up with a $250M budget that requires making $750M in the theaters just to break even.

2. I'm not jolted out of the experience by hearing a very distinctive voice I recognize from elsewhere. I mean, tho, Bradley Cooper does an excellent job with Rocket, and I would never have known it was him, but, every Danny Devito character sounds exactly and memorably as Danny Devito.

doctornick

not a bad looking trailer. nice to see pixar go back & do something original instead of sequels.
Huh? The last 5 Pixar movies (this will be 6) have been originals, since Toy Story 4. Yeah, I guess Lightyear was kinda part of a franchise but pretty distinct; nonetheless there’s been a bunch of original Pixar stuff recently.

MickeyMouse10

That's a good thing for two reasons:

1. They're not having to pay top tier A-List stars and wind up with a $250M budget that requires making $750M in the theaters just to break even.

2. I'm not jolted out of the experience by hearing a very distinctive voice I recognize from elsewhere. I mean, tho, Bradley Cooper does an excellent job with Rocket, and I would never have known it was him, but, every Danny Devito character sounds exactly and memorably as Danny Devito.

I'm all for getting unknowns, but there's one reason they casted these people (What do you mean these people?). .... They wanted to check off some more boxes.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom