Elated

doc283

Original Poster
The team members at dvc reservations went above and beyond to resolve a situation made difficult by the COV
ID-19 virus. I am very grateful.

Last edited:

lemon peeler

Not sure I understand. Are you disappointed because you signed a contract for something and you want to bail out on someone else? You want someone else to take your loss? Seems like you are disappointing in your own actions. Did you not know what you were renting and the terms of the contract?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Why didn't you get cancel any reason trip insurance, which you should always get if you have medical conditions. If you booked directly through Disney you would have gotten a refund

Rob562

I've never rented DVC points but have considered it, including planning multiple trips where it was an option that we ended up not choosing. With the non-refundable nature of renting DVC points I've always known that I'd have to get vacation insurance if I were to go that route.

Regular hotels, airfare, park tickets, are all cancelable/changeable to one degree or another. But I'd never risk it on something non-refundable.

-Rob

Club Cooloholic

I feel your frustration, but consider that when you rent those points the owner is setting aside points they paid for already for you. So all that time you have rented them they cant touch or use them.
I get there is a crisis but those are the risks you take when saving money and renting. Its like when you book a no cancel reservation on hotwire or Expedia, you usually do it because it is a lower rate.
All points have an expiration date, and ones being rented out are usually because the person cant use them that year and you didn't buy the points technically, you bought the reservation. You need the owner to make any changes etc. Again a risk, and if I had health issues I would have one bought travel insurance and two booked a room I could cancel if a problem(like your health) arised.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Before you make a reservation, make sure you know what your options are if you have to cancel or move your reservation, EVEN IF THERE IS A NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED.

Excellent advice.

Also, be sure to ask if you are about to purchase points that are about to expire. Let me tell you why.

Ok.

Months ago, we reserved a room at the Disney Polynesian resort thru dvcreservations.com.

The dates were March 13 thru March 18.

We were taking a vacation with our children and our grandchildren.

As you know, President Trump declared a National Emergency on March 13 and Disney announced that the parks were closing at the end of business on March 15, 2020.

There was no official date that the Disney resorts would close.

Today, we learned that the resorts will close March 20, 2020.

Since the resort was open, even though the park is closed, I was informed that the reservation was "locked" and that I was responsible for the entire cost of the room. I am 63 with heart disease and diabetes.

Our children

Grandchildren, I hope

decided to go to Disney.

As recommended we stayed home knowing that we were at greater risk for the COVID-19 virus. Flying to Orlando to a park that would be closed made little sense.

At first, DVC reservations told me there was nothing they could do.

They gave me the option of selling the dvc vacation points that I purchased at a reduced fee or rescheduling my visit by the end of March, 2020.

This is when I learned that we bought points that had an expiration date. As texts were exchanged, the expiration date was extended to July 31, 2020.

When I expressed my frustration over not getting a refund, they simply reminded me that I signed a contract and that there is nothing they can do. In this unforeseen health crisis with no clear answers, it seems like a heartless way to do business. Buyer beware!
So, don't buy into a timeshare scheme?

Got it.

RETLAW

Sorry to hear about your vacation issues.
As someone that used to work for Disney Vacation Club, and as a professional travel agent. NEVER book as vacation that requires you to purchase another DVC members points (Plus, DVC members are not allowed to sell there points, it is in the member rule book).
Since Members are not allowed to do this, there is nothing Disney can do for you.

If you want a good Disney vacation always book with either Disney or a professional travel agent that is certified by Disney to sell Disney vacations. Any time you book a vacation that is over $3000, buy trip insurance.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I think the issue is as @RETLAW outlined.

People planning amazing trips that have to be cancelled.

I've been through this, done it...so...I can say, it sucks, you will get screwed on a few things and not on others...and, yeah, it sucks.

I'm sorry it happened, but it happened before this scare and will happen after this scare.

Giss Neric

This seems like obviously lack of research and knowledge on her part.

Also this

I am 63 with heart disease and diabetes

Please don't make that a factor. There are a lot of people on that age range with illnesses but can be capable and fully functional. This seems more lack of patience and entitlement.

bigrigross

Sorry to hear about your vacation issues.
As someone that used to work for Disney Vacation Club, and as a professional travel agent. NEVER book as vacation that requires you to purchase another DVC members points (Plus, DVC members are not allowed to sell there points, it is in the member rule book).
Since Members are not allowed to do this, there is nothing Disney can do for you.

If you want a good Disney vacation always book with either Disney or a professional travel agent that is certified by Disney to sell Disney vacations. Any time you book a vacation that is over $3000, buy trip insurance.

Not sure where you are getting that you cant rent out your points. Their are no rules against that. Its no different than any other timeshare. Also, disney cannot do anything because DVC points are owned by the person who owns the contract. Not Disney. The points are being brokered by a third party and the person should have read the contract before signing. And also have trip insurance in case the unforeseen happens.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I really think this is more of a "frustration" vent than anything else.
Op, I could tell you about the airbnb in Paris we rented and then had to cancel the day before take off due to a death in the family.

unfortunately life happens.

As others have said renting dvc points can be a great option but it does come with risk. Disney nor the third party vendor really don't have a lot of lead way here. I know it seems heartless but it really isn't. remember that cruise companies, airlines and big companies have a lot more leadway in these situations. essentially you purchased from an individual owner with no recourse.

lastly, this really is uncharted waters, In my life I've never remember a lock down like this or national emergency

Hcalvert

Why don't you rebook for July? I had to as I was supposed to leave on my trip on March 22. It's not ideal but at least I am not out of $1800. Thankfully, the owner was willing to do that. I have rented privately my last four trips and never had a problem, but I also know I am taking a risk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom