EE: Please help me be a responsible parent.

LAM378

So I get to make my FPs tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should let my son ride EE. He is over 44" tall and turns 5 the week after this "birthday trip" in August.

There's a big backstory here, but if you don't feel like reading it, please feel free to skip it and just read the last paragraph. I will understand.

Before we went to WDW last month, Max was a chicken. But he quickly tired of princesses and "baby stuff!" and went on Barnstormer. Loved it, but found it too short. Loved Splash and BTMRR and rode them repeatedly. I didn't ride because I don't do mountains. I dread the drop on PotC.

Anyhow, a few days in, Max started begging to do Space Mountain. He'd seen it on TTA. I didn't think he'd be tall enough, so I told him he could ride it if he was. He was like 1/8" over the height limit, and after much high-fiving with the CM who measured him outside, he was in.

So I'm sitting outside with my dad, who hasn't ridden it in 13 years, when he suddenly remembers Uncle Chris can't sit next to Max on this ride. And I start sweating because I just sent my baby into Space Mountain and my brother can't hold him and I'm having horrible visions of Max flying out of the ride vehicle because he doesn't know how to brace himself, he just rode his first roller coaster 3 days ago and WHAT HAVE I DONE. It was like a sick joke that I couldn't even call my brother to stop them... because I was holding his cell phone.

I waited at the ride exit shaking and reminding myself how much my brother loves Max, how he'd find a way to hold onto him, that he wouldn't let anything bad happen to him. The proof is in the ride photo:

wd045wdw201413775560361.jpeg

My brother leaned out of his seat the whole time so he had a good grip on Max. (I don't know the guy in front of Max.)

I was really shook up. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd taken a big risk letting him ride. I was "off" the rest of the day, couldn't sleep that night; I kept thinking about the things that could have gone horribly wrong. My brother was a little shook, too--he hadn't remembered how rough and jerky Space is, how you're not ready for the drops because it's pitch dark. He said he was actually holding Max's head sometimes because otherwise his little peanut head was whipping around too much. He said that even though Max intensely loved it, there was no way he'd take him back on it anytime soon. It was too wild for Max, even if Max didn't think so. That nauseated me, made me feel even guiltier. All day I kept checking him over, checking his pupils, asking him how he felt. He was fine. Space Mountain was his favorite part of WDW. Every time he saw it thereafter, he'd scream, "I CONQUERED YOU!" at it.

Which brings me to EE. We didn't hit AK last month, but we will when we go in August. Max is fixated on EE because he saw it in a planning video. He loves watching the on-ride videos of it. "ANOTHER MOUNTAIN!!!!!" he has to conquer. "I'VE GOT TO SEE THE YETI!!!" He'd be riding with his father, who has never been to WDW (and isn't a huge fan of coasters, but will do anything for Max, and will definitely hold him tight).

TL;DR: I'm worried because when I read comparisons of Space Mountain and EE, some people say they're similar, or that EE is actually worse. Jerking and whipping and g-forces (I don't even know what they are because again, I'm a chicken). I feel terror when I watch the ride videos. The thought of him riding EE is even scarier (illogically) because it's outdoors and I picture him flying out of the ride through the air :in pain:. So what would you do? How rough is it? Would you put a Space-Mountain loving 4-year-old on it? Or should I tell him it's being refurbished while we're there? ;)

cw1982

He'll be fine! He'll have his own lap bar, but there are two seats in a ride, so whoever rides with him will be able to put an arm around him if needed. I'm a big chicken, but I love that ride. :)

ETA: go look at the pic in my TR again if you want... it's blurry but gives you a good idea of the seat structure. Like @stevehousse said, it's not nearly as jerky as Space! Think of it as a slightly bigger BTMRR.

Upvote 0

LAM378

Original Poster
You are worrying too much. Don't be a helicopter mom or it will impact him.

Oh man, I DO sound like a helicopter mom. I swear I'm not. I was outside crying happy tears every time he did BTMRR and Splash. I'm so proud of him for being brave enough, at four, to do things I've never in my life had the guts to try. That's just breathtaking to me. And seeing how proud he is of himself has been the greatest thing. He got such a big shot of confidence from those mountains. I'd never just rob him of another experience like that--that's why I asked here for opinions, to see if keeping him on the ground and off EE was unreasonable.

Really, the biggest thing nagging at me was hearing my brother say he wouldn't put him back on Space. Which I probably won't, not this trip. But now it seems like I can amp him up for EE and not worry :D.

Does lil Max like disco?

This made me laugh hysterically. If he ever stops watching the EE videos and screaming YETI!!!!!!!! I'll try to stick some disco videos in there.

Space Mountain has been in operation since 1975 and little kids just like your son have been riding it for 40 years and NO ONE has ever fallen out of the ride in those 40 years. So calm down :) On EE you can just put your arm across him but even if you didn't he wouldn't fall out anyway. Likewise, EE is almost 10 years old and no one has ever flown out.

This is the kind of thing I was telling myself when I was panicking outside Space Mountain. It worked, to a point. Then I thought BUT HOW MANY MOTHERS REALLY PUT THEIR BARELY 44" CHILDREN ON THIS RIDE?!? and it all went downhill. A lot of people told me I was nuts (after the fact) for letting him ride, that they'd never let their child...you get it. I know you're right, but it seems that a lot of parents won't consider it and that colored my thinking, too.

I'd be more concerned about the strobe lights inducing a seizure of some sort rather than falling out of the train car.

I'm dying again. Disco Yeti is heinous...but also makes me laugh.

Upvote 0

natatomic

First of all, let me commend you for being the type of parent who doesn't project her own fear onto her child. As a CM (formerly of EE, in fact), it irked me to no end when a child of appropriate height was sooo excited to ride, only for the chicken parent to tell them that they'd be too scared to ride, thus turning the child into a chicken as well. But I digress. On to the rest of what I want to say:

One, I firmly believe Space is worse than EE, especially "whipping" wise (though your son's head would have been plenty fine even if your brother wasn't holding it on Space). But don't worry - your son wouldn't have flown out of the car just because your brother wasn't holding him down either! If a ride were THAT intense to eject a person, no one's arm would be enough to keep them secure! Also, they wouldn't let children of "electable size" ride either. Lol. Think of the millions and millions of people that have ridden both Space and EE - how many have fallen out ever? Zero!

To ease your mind even more...Lap bars on EE are not necessary to keep you in your seat. In theory, one could ride WITHOUT a lap bar and not fall out. Back in the day, if a train was making an odd noise that we couldn't pinpoint, maintenance would ride without a lap bar down, and when the train stopped before and/or the after the backwards part, they would get out and switch seats so as to hear and feel the train from multiple places. Granted, there is no possible way your son wouldn't have his lap bar down, but even in the pretty much impossible scenario that he found himself without a lap bar, he still wouldn't fall out. And if you think that because your son weighs less than full grown maintenance men that maybe there is still a chance he could somehow slip out of that bar, don't worry. Everest tells people to put their backpacks on the floor of the train while they ride - those also have never flown out, and they weigh less than your son!

Plus, those height requirements? There is PLENTY of buffer built into those. Obviously, they don't let anyone ride who is even a fraction of an inch below it, but that's out of the need for consistency more than anything. It's not as if 43 inches and 15/16ths inches means CERTAIN DOOM. It's just that the companies (both the one that owns the ride and the one that manufactured it) want to be as safe as possible. After all, the CMs that measure those kids are imperfect humans, so there's the chance they didn't spot little Johnny stretching slightly onto his tiptoes, or didn't notice that it was only Suzy's curls that were touching the height line rather than her actual head. Plus, even the sole thickness in shoes can give a kid an couple extra inches! These are all things that are considered when deciding a height requirement, so believe me - just because your kid is juuuuuuust over the limit, doesn't mean he's juuuuuuuust safe enough!

Also, I am a coaster enthusiast with a modest count of 318 roller coasters. Believe me, they are incredibly safe! They're even safer than flying on airplanes, which we all know are safer than driving in cars. Of course, I say that as someone who is deathly afraid of airplanes, which I know doesn't make sense given my love of roller coasters; but I admit this to let you know that while I don't share your irrational fear of roller coasters, I do understand it given my irrational fear of flying, despite the statistics. Lol.

Finally, now as the mother of a 6 month old son, I find myself looking forward not so much to birthdays but to HEIGHTS! I am so excited to share my love of roller coasters with my little boy. The moment he meets any height requirement, we will be going to all the rides that have said requirement and ride them all that day to celebrate!

Trust me...your son will return unharmed!

Upvote 0

FettFan

This is my biggest fear when my parents do come along as they are old and they like coasters and Tower of Terror and stuff but it still worries me that they might have a heart attack lol

The funny thing is that I don't have any heart conditions that either myself or my doctor are aware of. It's just one of those crazy mild panic-attack things. I've gotten it once or twice at Disney with more intense rides (Mission Space, Tower of Terror...and Stitch Escape for some reason)...but the worst was at Busch Gardens Tampa.

I worked myself up into such a tizzy with Sheik-Ra that my legs were like rubber when I was approaching the train.

Upvote 0

cw1982

The funny thing is that I don't have any heart conditions that either myself or my doctor are aware of. It's just one of those crazy mild panic-attack things. I've gotten it once or twice at Disney with more intense rides (Mission Space, Tower of Terror...and Stitch Escape for some reason)...but the worst was at Busch Gardens Tampa.

I worked myself up into such a tizzy with Sheik-Ra that my legs were like rubber when I was approaching the train.

I do that too! I cried waiting to ride ToT for the first time lol... and I'm 31!

Even riding Splash gets me a little. I'm fine until we get ready to head up the ramp towards the last plunge. Then my heart skips a beat... every time.

Upvote 0

alissafalco

Space Mountain has been in operation since 1975 and little kids just like your son have been riding it for 40 years and NO ONE has ever fallen out of the ride in those 40 years. So calm down :) On EE you can just put your arm across him but even if you didn't he wouldn't fall out anyway. Likewise, EE is almost 10 years old and no one has ever flown out.
Ok, I have to say something. The first time I ever went on space I was 5 in 1980. And I vividly remember slipping out of the car and if I didn't hold on for dear life I absolutely would have. I'm not making this up or imagining it. Its a memory I will never forget. I'm sure people won't believe me, but it's true. Did this happen to anyone else as a child? That was also in 1980 and I don't think they had the lap bars like they do now.

Upvote 0

The Empress Lilly

That pic reminds me of the time I flew out of Everest! I was like eight, so a bit bigger even than this kid. Near the end of Everest there is this massive Yoda the Yedi animatronic, and I decided to high five him. But my hand got stuck and so the swiping Yedi lifted me out of the vehicle!

Luckily falling out at Everest isn't that much of a problem. There are paths all through the mountain directing people who fell out back to the load/unload area, marked with clear colourful signs ('This way back to your parents)'

Upvote 0

tinkerblonde11

Everest's harness is over the shoulders and 100x more secure than Space Mountain. I rode them both for the first time last summer (I had been a chicken the last time I went 5 years before) and SM was absolutely more nerve wracking and had the scare factor for me. Also it just 'felt' worse riding it. EE is a newer coaster so the ride is very smooth and more comfortable feeling. The only thing which daunted me was the backwards drop which can get a little intense, but if he likes it on Maelstrom it shouldn't be a problem, still very fun! If he did SM without a problem, I think he'll love EE.

Upvote 0

natatomic

Ok, I have to say something. The first time I ever went on space I was 5 in 1980. And I vividly remember slipping out of the car and if I didn't hold on for dear life I absolutely would have. I'm not making this up or imagining it. Its a memory I will never forget. I'm sure people won't believe me, but it's true. Did this happen to anyone else as a child? That was also in 1980 and I don't think they had the lap bars like they do now.

I have a memory from when I was 6 of going to Paris. I visited the Eiffel Tower, I saw the Mona Lisa...all sorts of touristy French stuff. But here's the kicker: I'd never been to Paris as a child. Heck, I'd never even been on an airplane till I was 13! But my memory SWEARS I was there. But one of my mom's favorite movies takes place primarily in France, and I watched it often as a child with her quite often. Somehow it got into my dreams or my subconscious memories, and now I could swear up and down that I was there, even though I know I wasn't.

Now, there are some pops of air time on Space Mountain, so I honestly believe you may have felt those negative Gs, and to an impressionable 5 year old, I can certainly see how that could feel like you were flying out. Honestly, something that happened to me on the Cannonball at Lake Winnie. I swear, I would have flown a mile into the air on this one hill if I hadn't been hanging on. But the very next ride, my cousin wouldn't LET me hold on (the kind 12 year old that he was) and he held my hands up the whole time. In that same spot, I felt the air time, but I was no where near coming out. It was all in my overactive imagination.

Tl;dr - memory is notorious for being pliable, unreliable, and the worst form of proof for anything.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

If he wants to do EE, let him. (If you're concerned, watch some of the Youtube videos of the ride, so he knows what to expect.) In my experience, it's far less jerky than Space Mountain, and because you're not in the dark the whole time, you can see what's coming. A family member can sit next to him on EE...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom