Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
I was curious as to whether or not the folks from WDI ever "rock the corporate boat" so to speak when it comes to standing up for quality or a good idea or if the atmosphere within is more- go along to get along as a recipe to fall your way up the ladder.

Sure they do. It depends on the person and the situation. Some are "survivors" and won't push things, others politically figure out how to get their projects built, and some are more vocal but it's risky. You have to know when to back off to live another day.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Something to chew on..

Here's a proposal made by Peter Schaab for what he sees as evolving EPCOT into something closer to Walt's vision. Interesting series of images and studies he lays out for discussion. Schaab proposes a "university" style concept and has spent considerable time producing sketches, animations and art. I'm not posting this to necessarily endorse his concepts, just thought it was interesting and something the thread would appreciate.

Thoughts?

http://www.peterschaab.com/epcot.htm

Mr. Spock

Here's a proposal made by Peter Schaab for what he sees as evolving EPCOT into something closer to Walt's vision. Interesting series of images and studies he lays out for discussion. Schaab proposes a "university" style concept and has spent considerable time producing sketches, animations and art. I'm not posting this to necessarily endorse his concepts, just thought it was interesting and something the thread would appreciate.

Thoughts?

It is interesting but I would not like it :shrug:

lazyboy97o

Thoughts?

Glad to see your lawyers let you take a look.

jt04

I'm not really sure if TWDC has a vision of what Epcot could be. It could serve several purposes and seems underutilized. Add a resort/convention complex and corporate facilities for seminars and trade shows and the sky is the limit for the place.

Mr.EPCOT

Peters work is a perfect example of the enormous potential that ALL of Walt Disney World has that current management short-sightedly fails at. It is such a shame that they are in such a strong, unique position to take big risks with potentially infinite rewards, with little possibility of severely damaging the company, and they don't.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Of course, regardless of him copyrighting this approach, WDI may have proposed something internally that was the same idea prior to this. In any event, you try and avoid becoming a harbor for people to submit ideas without a mutual non disclosure agreement that can mutually protect both parties.

jt04

Two questions Eddie,

Did you design the Alice Land/Attractions at TDL and could you list the Disney parks other than DLP where your work can be seen? Thanks.

Slowjack

Interesting article about the main entrance to DCA and all the different versions they looked at internally before deciding on it.

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...ance-complex-gets-ready-to-make-its-exit.aspx
That's a great article -- the kind that Jim does best.

Although I'm a little mystified by the suggestion that the tombstones-of-the-future "Leave a Legacy" monoliths were intended to make the entrance to Epcot less austere.

Edit: upon reflection, I feel sad for Tim Delaney, who obviously poured a lot of work and heart into that entrance. But ultimately I don't think it works. Despite all the handmade tiles and so on, it still comes across like painted flat, and that makes the entrance look sort of cheap.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am just curious to why Disney Corporate and WDI tend to hate WDW? I mean the overseas parks get more attention then WDW.
I do not think that they hate WDW but WDW is somewhat a victim of its own success. MK has been the number one theme park and WDW the number one vacation destination in the world for so long that there is no real financial incentive to invest in the parks outside of minimal maintenance. Also many of the foreign parks are only partially owned by Disney and it is the other owners that will pour money into them.

HMF

Edit: upon reflection, I feel sad for Tim Delaney, who obviously poured a lot of work and heart into that entrance. But ultimately I don't think it works. Despite all the handmade tiles and so on, it still comes across like painted flat, and that makes the entrance look sort of cheap.
I get the feeling that Tim went along with it to keep his job not because he necessarily agreed with it but I could be wrong.

RSoxNo1

Steve,

I'm pretty sure this is related to deleted posts, but when did the changeover happen that we're left with a bunch of extra pages at the end of each thread? Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom