Eddie Sotto's take on the current state of the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneysroyal411

Hey Eddie, what do you think that the chances are of the imagineers going back and changing things with the Fantasyland Expansion to fit more of a girl AND boy theme?

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
Hey Eddie, what do you think that the chances are of the imagineers going back and changing things with the Fantasyland Expansion to fit more of a girl AND boy theme?

Hmm. Girl AND Boy appeal. I wonder if a "Princess Bikini Beach" themed meet and greet could be wedged in? Not likely.

Mr. Morrow

Hey Eddie I have alway wondered how much money is wasted in the concept stage?

If we used my favorite never realized attration Marc Davis's Western River Expansion as an example. It had tons of art and an expansive model built not to mention many man hours put into it.

SO I guess my question is in your opinion how much money is lost in develompent of attractions that don't make it.

HMF

If we used my favorite never realized attration Marc Davis's Western River Expansion as an example. It had tons of art and an expansive model built not to mention many man hours put into it.

SO I guess my question is in your opinion how much money is lost in develompent of attractions that don't make it.
The thing about WED/Imagineering is nothing is ever wasted. Every idea could possibly return in a future project.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

It depends on how you view "wasted" as ideas can return from the dead at any time. The Pirate (Lafitte's) Island stuff that I worked on was sitting in a drawer someplace, but came back later because of the movies, but it did come back evolved, so the process of churning through ideas only begets more ideas and they build on what has been presented, even if it was not built. There is a value there. It's good that not all ideas get built, as they get developed and for one reason or another, lose their appeal in the process and reveal their flaws. FWIW, Western River is one of those projects (Don;t shoot me but I don't like it). If the money you used to explore the idea taught you it would be so so, then it's far cheaper than building it and finding out.

I think the percentage of money spent on "blue sky" concepts is only a fraction of the budget of WDI. Usually there are "needs" being filled by projects and requests from other groups.

misterID

Didn't Western River lead to Splash Mountain and the cowboy ghost town scene in Phantom Manor? I think that was a good trade off. And I guess you could say WR did sort of happen in DLP with Thunder Mesa: TM and PM. All they need is a Splash Mountain tie in.

I'm glad we got Pirates, though. Even though WDW's POTC is the worst of all the parks. Not saying its bad, but not near as good as DLP's or DL's.

_Scar

Didn't Western River lead to Splash Mountain and the cowboy ghost town scene in Phantom Manor? I think that was a good trade off. And I guess you could say WR did sort of happen in DLP with Thunder Mesa: TM and PM. All they need is a Splash Mountain tie in.

I'm glad we got Pirates, though. Even though WDW's POTC is the worst of all the parks. Not saying its bad, but not near as good as DLP's or DL's.

After reading into WRR, I now fully resent WDW's Pirate and could not agree less to be glad we got it. WRR was our very own Pirates, and it's just sad we got a carbon copy of, what, not even half of Disneyland's? :(

And I really don't see the connection between the two rides besides it being on water and having silly characters. I thought it just stemmed from wanting to do a ride based on a Disney movie, and Song of the South turned out to be a perfect match. :shrug:

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member

I know this sounds nuts, but thing about WRE was that it had the kind of cut out abstract flat backgrounds that you saw in DL's America Sings or World of Motion. It was not immersively realistic like POTC. In fact, I think the Stage Coach robbery scene in WOM was right out of WRE.

MiklCraw4d

I know this sounds nuts, but thing about WRE was that it had the kind of cut out abstract flat backgrounds that you saw in DL's America Sings or World of Motion. It was not immersively realistic like POTC. In fact, I think the Stage Coach robbery scene in WOM was right out of WRE.

That's true! A few of the gags got re-used over the years. And, as someone said above, the big finale of Phantom Manor is kind of a ghost version of scenes from WRE.

I think for a lot of WDW fans, WRE will always be the One That Got Away. I really wish they'd do a CGI ride-through like they did with the Mermaid ride a few years ago; either that, or leak enough information so we could make a VR version in Source engine or something. :)

One thing I've always wondered - was there a song written for WRE? Does anyone know?

From what I know it was Buddy Baker (the composer behind Winnie the Pooh, Fox and the Hound, If You Had Wings and a bunch of other Disney projects) that worked on WRE's song. I'd love to hear what he came up with.

The Empress Lilly

I love the concept of WRE itself. It would've suited the MK so well, a grandiose mountain range on that side of the park, to make it the most grand of the parks. Let DL do intimacy and charm. And let the MK do grandness, wide spaces.
I've always regretted that the MK did not really develop to its full potential of being grand, in this manner or otherwise.

WRE could've been the Eastcoast answer to DL's great Tomorrowland 'world on the move' area of the subs, monorail, peoplemover, autopia. That is, a grand backdrop with lots of movement.

As for the ride WRE itself - it has never got me all that excited. I doubt the ride would've been all that great back then, and certainly time hasn't been kind to either the concept or the content.
Also, 'fun and humor' are lovely foundations for a ride, but not so much for a fully immersive 'transport you to another place' type of ride.

Although, far more than Pirates, the true heir of WRE is World of Motion, and I've always liked that ride.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
That's true! A few of the gags got re-used over the years. And, as someone said above, the big finale of Phantom Manor is kind of a ghost version of scenes from WRE.

I think for a lot of WDW fans, WRE will always be the One That Got Away. I really wish they'd do a CGI ride-through like they did with the Mermaid ride a few years ago; either that, or leak enough information so we could make a VR version in Source engine or something. :)

One thing I've always wondered - was there a song written for WRE? Does anyone know?

I was only 13 when I visited the WDW preview center and there was a model and fim explaining what what was to be in the park. When they mentioned the WRE they played "Blue shadows on the trail", a Sons of the Pioneers song and that was about it. In a shoebox someplace is a cassette I recorded of that presentation. Maybe there is more.

AEfx

WRR was our very own Pirates, and it's just sad we got a carbon copy of, what, not even half of Disneyland's? :(

That's really a myth.

I recently went to Disneyland for the first time, ready to be floored by this amazing Pirates ride that supposedly blew ours out of the water (pun intended). It really doesn't.

Yes, the beginning is a little longer, but it's just through more empty caves. Doesn't really add anything new to look at or anything to the story.

Like most things at Disneyland, everything is closer to you and smaller - ours feels a lot more open and "epic".

The only significant difference is the treasure room is in the middle of the ride instead of the end, and while it's neat...I don't think it's any better or worse than what we have.

Finally, while the Bayou where you board is extremely neat and well done, I prefer ours - because I guess I'm missing something, but it seems more in line with the story to go from a Pirate bunker to a Pirate ride, as opposed to an 1800's Louisiana bayou into a Pirate adventure. Again, it's really well done - but thematically, I prefer ours.

I rode it at least ten times in a week (and have ridden ours 100's of times), so this all wasn't just from a quick impression. It's cool, but while it is slightly longer (almost all because of the big empty caves on the way to the actual show scenes), but I really don't think it's this far superior creation as I've been led to believe my whole life. I'd say they are about even.

Eddie Sotto

Premium Member
A pretty cool site about Imagineer Julie Svendsen.
http://www.juliesvendsen.com/index.html

Cool indeed. I had the privilege of having an office right next door to Julie for several years at WDI (It was Sam McKim's office after he retired). You could not ask for a better and more talented neighbor! Her site tells the story best, she is obviously gifted, but more than that is a truly kind and compassionate person. Her site is only a small slice of all the projects she worked on at WDI. Julie designed some outstanding murals for the "Queen of Hearts Restaurant" at TDL too. There are many Imagineers like Julie out there that do not get much press, but deserve to and are what made WDI projects so special in the past.

She does not mention it on her site, but her father has a great Disney legacy in writing and animation, Julius Svendsen. She has the DNA for sure!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0841035/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom