Economy takes its toll on Disney World

nuttyskadork

I feel that the commercial real estate market is on the brink of collapse in most cities. Flamingo Crossings is either going to sit for years or be abandoned all together. There is just too much available retail space for businesses to fill.

I never realized until now it was going to have retail. I thought it would just be a quicker way for people to get to MK if they were coming from the west rather than Orlando Airport.

nuttyskadork

FWIW, Here's my $0.02:

The major expansions at WDW thus far have been mostly well-played. However, they have reached a point now where no further mass expansion is needed in the short-term...i.e. Flamingo Crossing or a 5th Gate. TDO would do well to go ahead complete the Pop Century - Golden Years site. Beyond that, TDO needs to focus on improving/expanding what is already there. DTD - especially the former Pleasure Island - needs a lot of attention. There has been a great deal of discussion on these boards about the needs of all 4 theme parks (MK still has needs that the FL expansion will not be seeing to - AL, to point out a glaring element). And I think, some investment needs to be put in place by TDO to eventually eliminate their intra-resort reliance on buses for guest transport.

So, bottom line: WDW's needs have changed, now is the time to focus on what's already there and make it even better for a great big beautiful tomorrow. ;)

AL is fine IMO. Sure it could use a few plus's and maybe an E-ticket ride, BUT at least it has TWO major rides. New Orleans has one ride period. (A great one but still..... nobody seems to mention NOS as needing a refurb.)

voodoo321

AL is fine IMO. Sure it could use a few plus's and maybe an E-ticket ride, BUT at least it has TWO major rides. New Orleans has one ride period. (A great one but still..... nobody seems to mention NOS as needing a refurb.)

Which ONE are you talking about in NOS? HM or PotC?

CDavid

Are you referring to Liberty Square or Disneyland?

tirian

They actually built up their resort SO much. They did really great in that aspect within the past decade. They did the right thing in the long run for their resort whether the theme park fans like it or not.

EDIT: What resort vs. theme parks? The resort is all about the theme parks! Disney's two water parks barely cover the demand in spring and summer. Their excellent golf and minigolf courses aren't advertised. Downtown Disney is a shell of the über-90s "spend-all-you-can" mentality. The resort IS all about the theme parks; I'm not complaining about that, because WDW always did emphasize its parks above everything else, and that's the way it should be. But building a handful of Value Resorts and DVC villas over the last fifteen years doesn't mean that Disney "built up their resort"; they just added hotel rooms.

Um, no.

Actually by overdeveloping they put themselves behind the financial eight ball all the time and pretty much guaranteed that WDW's parks will never be what they once were because the place is way too big.

Here's a lesson for you, Scar, but bigger isn't always better. ...

Ask Wal-Mart, Gap, the Disney Stores, Circuit City...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom