Eating in your car

Nj4mwc

Original Poster
So typically at any amusement park, we always eat out in the car. With the quality of Disney food declining, prices going up,parking charges, nasty value room back in September. We are looking at staying off site and putting the cooler in the car and heading out to eat. Anyone else use this old money saving method. My kids are 10and 7 and we usually love character buffets but Disney is getting ridiculous, more of my dollars are going to be spent off site and at universal

mergatroid

So typically at any amusement park, we always eat out in the car. With the quality of Disney food declining, prices going up,parking charges, nasty value room back in September. We are looking at staying off site and putting the cooler in the car and heading out to eat. Anyone else use this old money saving method. My kids are 10and 7 and we usually love character buffets but Disney is getting ridiculous, more of my dollars are going to be spent off site and at universal

During the two weeks we're in Orlando this October, I imagine we'll eat inside the parks no more than three times. One will be a treat character meal in Epcot, another will be the Chinese fast food place in Epcot and the third will be The Sci-fi Dine in at Hollywood Studios before Fantasmic on our last night. Other than that we'll eat outside of the parks from restaurants through to Subways. Got to say we've never resorted to eating in the car yet, but each to their own.

As for eating at Universal, I usually find their prices very similar to Disney's?

wdwfan22

I couldn’t imagine eating In the car but to each their own. As for spending your money at universal they are just as expensive as Disney for quick service meals.

Nj4mwc

Original Poster
You certainly can... But bear in mind it's a hike out to the car and back, including security at the gate. Then there's the Florida heat, which makes the car into an oven on wheels.
I didn't even think about security or the Florida heat. That probably would put a big kink in the plan. I feel like I have gotten better prices in city walk than Disney quick service particularly the sushi place. I agree in the park universal is the same as Disney quick service. I don't think I've ever bought a meal in a 6 flags, Or any other non Disney / universal park. Have always done the picnic lunch in the car.

eliza61nyc

I didn't even think about security or the Florida heat. That probably would put a big kink in the plan. I feel like I have gotten better prices in city walk than Disney quick service particularly the sushi place. I agree in the park universal is the same as Disney quick service. I don't think I've ever bought a meal in a 6 flags, Or any other non Disney / universal park. Have always done the picnic lunch in the car.

bring your picnic bag inside. We do it often. We like the softside coolers so after we eat we just fold them up.

Weather_Lady

Definitely, a soft-sided cooler or a couple of insulated lunch bags in a backpack (with frozen bottles of water to keep the interior cold) would be a great way to avoid leaving the park at lunchtime. (Also don't forget that you can get free iced water on request from any quick service location throughout the day, if you don't want to have to tote beverages with you). If it's too bulky to carry around, you might consider a locker rental. It will cost you $7 for a small one (plus $5 refundable key deposit). It will be far easier to grab your food an in-park locker than to have to go back through security and through the parking lot, and will cost less than the price of a Disney hot dog.

I have many fond memories of Magic Kingdom lunches when I was growing up, comprised of homemade bologna-and-mustard sandwiches, apples and rather-the-worse-for-wear potato chips that my Mom had stuffed inside of her giant "Mom purse" and carried around the park until we got hungry. Because we were enjoying them in Disney World, they tasted like the nectar of the gods to me. :)

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Not only is eating in the car common, but Disney has started putting drink/snack carts in the parking lots in case you forgot drinks and chips.

JIMINYCR

Soon they will charge $30 to eat in your car.

#ThanksIger

Or they will realize theres money to be made by providing :

27472.jpg

graphite1326

Why even post something like this. I've been to other parks and Disney food is better and the price really is comparable.

I really get tired of post like this.

Legendary

oh give me a break. Their burgers are actually pretty good and the portions are actually larger than most places. You just want to complain.
Hey, to each their own. Obviously you have different taste buds and that’s ok. The OP said that she thinks that the quality is declining and I happen to agree. Nothing wrong with that.

OP go ahead and pack but I recommend bringing it into the parks with you, rent a locker if you don’t want to carry it.

Raineman

Why even post something like this. I've been to other parks and Disney food is better and the price really is comparable.

I really get tired of post like this.
Disney is Satan and is out to steal your soul...or so it seems by some of the posts on here since the resort parking fees were announced. It's hard to read alot of the content in here anymore-the negativity that seems to permeate the news and our daily lives seems to have infected this forum, which used to be a great escape from all that crap.

correcaminos

Honestly I find the prices to be similar after doing both a few times. Compared to our local parks it's on par price wise too. We're not the biggest for eating at Disney in general, but we'll do one meal on property some where. So we'll do breakfast in the room. Lunch in the park (either QS or sharing adult meals at TS) and then a meal back in the room around dinner time after doing pool and resort time. Saves us on money without the worry of gross food sitting in a hot car (even in a cooler that still worries me honestly).

epcotisbest

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/when-we-were-young-and-broke.889791/#post-6313361

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom