East Parking Garage construction

Bocabear

I tried to go over to Downtown Disney a few weeks ago...was caught in a traffic snarl going in that took almost an hour to get from Old Key West to Downtown Disney, never found a parking place, all spaces taken, and ended up just leaving the property...
I guess the best thing to do it go to one of the parks or hotels and take a shuttle, because parking has become an absolute mess.

mm121

wow, that sure didn't take long.

Seems odd they would make things worse right at the holidays, granted they were already pretty bad.

Lets just hope we actually see work begin, beyond just some fencing and light prep work between now and the end of the year to make these closures actually worth while.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
wow, that sure didn't take long.

Seems odd they would make things worse right at the holidays, granted they were already pretty bad.

Lets just hope we actually see work begin, beyond just some fencing and light prep work between now and the end of the year to make these closures actually worth while.
Because of the new garage, there is actually more parking than there was a month ago (spaces gained from new garage > spaces lost from closed surface parking A-G), but I was also surprised when I heard this was the plan -- I figured they'd open the new garage before the holidays and then wait until mid-January to close A-G.

TimeTrip

If parking is a mess as it is, just make it bad for one holiday season only instead of dragging it out.

Also - parking across the street is almost the same walking distance for a valet guest at Universal.
But without a moving walkway and adding a whole "crossing the street" thing. :)

If I ever head down there, I'd definitely be considering the Casting parking lot since the marketplace is usually where I prefer to head...

mm121

Because of the new garage, there is actually more parking than there was a month ago (spaces gained from new garage > spaces lost from closed surface parking A-G), but I was also surprised when I heard this was the plan -- I figured they'd open the new garage before the holidays and then wait until mid-January to close A-G.
for most the closure is more about the psychological, there not being any parking.

as most dont count spaces like people here do, they will just be looking at the "you want me to park where" factor. and refusing to park farther away with just move the circling for spaces to the 3 alternate lots, rather than traffic just preceding to the new garage.

and I'm not fully sure how they plan to maintain pedestrian access to the team disney lots, as they can't allow people to walk through the middle of the construction site.

I had hoped they would delay by a month...but they did not.

Best bet is to just park in the garage...unless in a resort then take the bus...

Sorry. I wish I had any say.

JohnWD

Disney can't win - Disney is either too slow, or in this case, too fast. I prefer erring on the side of too fast.

Disney can't win - Disney is either too slow, or in this case, too fast. I prefer erring on the side of too fast.

In general it is difficult to say. The vast majority of times things are slow. Just look at the food truck. It was meant to be a quick project but was almost 6 months behind schedule and the result is that (for the amount of time it took) it looks bad.

On the other hand, imagine if the garage as it is now was took one month longer? It would be done around years end and would be of no use for the holiday season....but that is the exception, not the rule.

R W B

Well this bites! Ill be in O town next week bringing a car to a race shop, not for a WDW trip. I wanted to stop and eat at Earl of Sandwich while I was there. Where should I park lol?

Last edited:
Well this bites! Ill be in O town next week bringing a car to a race shop, not for a WDW trip. I wanted to stop and eat at Earl of Sandwich hole I was there. Where should I park lol?

You will have to park in the garage...you could park across the street but you will then have to cross it.

There are few good options to get to marketplace...let me be the first to say sorry ;(

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Well this bites! Ill be in O town next week bringing a car to a race shop, not for a WDW trip. I wanted to stop and eat at Earl of Sandwich while I was there. Where should I park lol?
Castin will be the closest. It is a relatively short walk, considering you have to cross BVD.

R W B

Park at Casting. Not sure why people are flipping out about crossing the street. There is a crosswalk and it is a short walk.
I'm a big boy, I don't mind crossing a street lol.

But...where's casting? Is that the lot behind the Hess Station?

JordanKing

I'm a big boy, I don't mind crossing a street lol.

But...where's casting? Is that the lot behind the Hess Station?

Yeah it isn't far from there. You'll park where it is circled in green and follow the yellow path to the Marketplace. I've parked there on a Friday at 8PM so hopefully you won't have any trouble getting in there.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 10.16.32 PM.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom