East Coast "Winter Break"

EpcoTim

Original Poster
I keep hearing from people that it will be packed next week because of a "Winter Break" that East Coasters have? I was here last year at the same time and heard the same thing. What is it, and how bad are crowds going to be? I got lucky last year because it was freezing cold, but what about this year?

WDWKat26

Hehe, I wish it was next week that was packed. I worked tonight at the Magic Kingdom, and let me tell you it was NUTS. My Dad also works front Desk at the resorts, and he said that all of the resorts are sold out. MK hit a very large capacity today (I was told 60,000 by the security guard before I went into work). Plus, the parks are open until 11:00 or Midnight which started tonight and lasting until the 26th. Pretty much all of the parks are going to be packed.

But to answer your question, the East Coast people used to have a 2 week break for Easter for school. Most schools now split it up (especially in NY...I can't tell you how many NY plates i've seen) so that there is one week for a break in Feb. and another week whenever Easter is, which would be March.

Figments Friend

Hi Tim...

Yes, this coming week most folks up in these parts ( Northeastern USA) have it off from school. Many families take vacations and time off from work since the kids are out of school. Since it is usually still cold up here in February, Florida is THE hot spot to go at this time of year. I would say half of the people who go away during Winter Break up here go to DisneyWorld. It is a very popular destination, exspecially at this time of year.

It is considered a peak time at the Parks, so if you don't like crowds and long lines to get anywhere or see anything, don't go in the next two weeks. Some areas where i live (MA) have the following week off from school instead of Presidents Week . Play it safe and wait until mid March...but watch out for late March: Easter is EARLY this year!!

diesel

Well i can't tell you how bad the crowds are but i can tell you being from smack dab in the middle of NY that next week all the schools are out for winter break. A lot of families and i do mean a lot decide to take a mini winter break. And where else would they go? no sarcasim intended. My brother and his family along with a tribe of other familys and friends just left yesterday. It's a site to see 11 different fith wheel trailers heading off. They did have a semi hard time getting into any rv park or campground . Fort wilderness was booked for these larger trailers but did have sites for pop ups and tents. Me. i will just suffer through the winter "yuck" and wait till the last week of august to take our yearly 12day trip........

EpcoTim

Original Poster
I've noticed all the NY plates also, thats kind of why I asked. Are the hotels super booked for next week also? Thanks.

Figments Friend

I would imagine so...

Ny, Ma, NH, etc all have next week off from school. Some kids have the following week off too in MA and NH, instead of this week. Basically the next two weeks will be nutty....then perhaps a short breather and then the breakneck business of Easter weekend

EpcoTim

Original Poster
Hi Figments Friend and Diesel....

Thanks for the insight, its good to know I'm not going nuts. But, I'm already here, so theres no changing that, and I will be here next week also. I don't mind the crowds at all, and actually met a few cool people last year, so it shouldnt be a big deal, just wondering what I should expect.

But on another note, isnt Christmas break, Spring break and summertime enough for you East Coasters? You now need a break for that long period of time between New Years and the end of February? Where was all this when I was in school?

ToTBellHop

Having Presidents Week off has been around in the northeast for a long time now. It began in the 70s when fuel prices were so high, and it was decided to close schools for a week in winter so that they could turn the heat down and save money. The concept stuck and has become pretty permanent. I used to go to wdw every year for Presidents Week (and it has always been packed) until I came to college...now I only get one week off for Spring Break in March :( ).

tigsmom

Figments Friend said:
I would imagine so...

Ny, Ma, NH, etc all have next week off from school. Some kids have the following week off too in MA and NH, instead of this week. Basically the next two weeks will be nutty....then perhaps a short breather and then the breakneck business of Easter weekend

Hey guys!!! :wave: I'm in NY and we do not have next week off. We had a 4 day weekend for President's Day.
Our Spring break is in March... 25 thru April 3rd. Then we have a four day weekend for Passover at the end of April. Wish we did have next week off because we're looking at more snow here. :(

miles1

We are traveling from Connecticut on Wednesday. Our local public schools had just Friday, Sat, Sun and Monday off. Our kids attend a Catholic school and have all of next week off. We decided to wait until Wednesday to let the crowds die down before going, and keep the kids out of school for an extra two days. (They are hearbroken about this, of course :sohappy: ).

By about Thursday the crowds die down as many people head home. You may notice that the park hours get shorter again at the end of the week.

You're right though, it does seem like the entire school is heading down there this week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom