News Early Theme Park Entry and Extended Evening Hours coming for resort guests

Sid-Sheldon

LOL, I stay home or go anywhere else. OR I go at a really OFF off time. They're removed most of the incentive for staying on property so that will probably go kaboom too.
Disney needs short term money. This is how they spend less. The attendant drop off in business right now I'd venture is a cost they've figured.
Those river cruises with small ships look good.
Disney won't miss me so no loss to them. Multiply that by thousands and the answer "might" change. Short term what we've had outlined is how it will be for the foreseeable future. They've forcibly removed the incentives to "smooth" your way into the park. Now all options in Orlando become OPEN.

Deadphish

The MK hasn’t been open that late outside of Christmas Week in years. And you weren’t walking onto anything.

But if we must be silly, “I think EPA in 2021 will be better than EMH in 2020.”
You must not of ever been because we were walking onto everything. Only time it wasn’t a walk on was when we didn’t have to get off to ride again. On big thunder we would have to change seats because people were waiting in our row but plenty of rows were open so we didn’t have to walk back around. This was three trips ago, I go every 3 or 4 years so that puts it about 2010-2012.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

You must not of ever been because we were walking onto everything. Only time it wasn’t a walk on was when we didn’t have to get off to ride again. On big thunder we would have to change seats because people were waiting in our row but plenty of rows were open so we didn’t have to walk back around. This was three trips ago, I go every 3 or 4 years so that puts it about 2010-2012.
I said “hasn’t in years”. You’re talking about 9 years ago. Things were quite different by 2019.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Selfishly, I like the new extra (half) hours. I'm a night owl, so, its good for my experience late at night closing the park for a lot of people to have been enticed to show up early in the morning and fade away at nightfall.

Touchdown

Selfishly, I like the new extra (half) hours. I'm a night owl, so, its good for my experience late at night closing the park for a lot of people to have been enticed to show up early in the morning and fade away at nightfall.

Except for us commandos who do both (and will only occasionally leave midday, DL in the summer with EMH 7-12 for a week means I take a 2hr nap in the afternoon)

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I see your point, but I don't think 30mins are enough to make much of a difference in that regard. Maybe an hour or two would do the trick.

MrConbon

Exactly...that’s why you see the employees lined up at rope drop...just before they let the people in.

The “pre-rope drop” rope drop...

Cause that’s how the park ops goes.

I thought perhaps you had something different to contribute on this? But I was wrong.

All employees don’t show at the same time...they are staggered for coverage all day. A 30 minute change to ops slides into a normal labor schedule almost seamlessly due to staggering of those schedules. A longer EMH would be more difficult to facilitate.

But hey...that’s just how it goes...you be the math guy
I work at a theme park. I’m well aware of how openings of theme parks go. You have employees at the front before rope drop but that isn’t the same staffing as all the attractions that come in later. Those people would come in a half hour now since pre-rope drop would also be moved 30 minutes back.

Satans Hockey

When they bring Fastpass back, I would be OK with it being like what they do at Tokyo Disneyland or Maxpass. I'm all for going back to a model of not having to plan every single day of your trip months in advance. This extra time at every park seems like a step in that direction.

My only complaint about the Tokyo parks was the old way of doing fastpass, having to keep an eye on the clock and then sometimes go all the way across the park just to grab another fast pass at a machine is just a waste of time to me. I'd much rather take 30 seconds to open up an app on my phone.

I absolutely loved Maxpass in California though and it made my time at both parks there an absolute pleasure, I think they have the best system in all of the Disney parks I've been to (Florida, California and Japan)

plawren2

I see your point, but I don't think 30mins are enough to make much of a difference in that regard. Maybe an hour or two would do the trick.
WDW has always responded to crowds and demand by increasing park hours, it's possible that once they are fully reopened and seeing typical size crowds again (late 2021 or 2022?) they will extend to one hr or longer?

esskay

I really don't see how MDE is a massive reason to stay on site. Given the noise on the bus and the non-direct stops, I've just gone for Uber my last few stays.
Uber might be great if you're a US Citizen, but for the bulk of visitors arriving from abroad DME is far more useful than having to find a wifi connection, download an app (you're SOL if you're on iOS as you'd end up with your own countries version of Uber), enter payment info....its not practical.

Vs going downstairs, handing a bit of paper to a cast member and sitting on a bus and be taken direct to your resort.

DME has always been a huge selling point for travel agents as well.

plawren2

Uber might be great if you're a US Citizen, but for the bulk of visitors arriving from abroad DME is far more useful than having to find a wifi connection, download an app (you're SOL if you're on iOS as you'd end up with your own countries version of Uber), enter payment info....its not practical.

Vs going downstairs, handing a bit of paper to a cast member and sitting on a bus and be taken direct to your resort.

DME has always been a huge selling point for travel agents as well.
Again its very possible that with DME ending, Mears (who alrready owns and operate those buses) will continue in offering this service BUT you will be paying extra for it. I agree has been a great benefit and selling point for WDW trips to have had this "free" feature, but looks like WDW does not agree nor interested in supporting the cost.

esskay

Exactly, 30 minutes is a joke. It's barely enough time to ride something once and possibly get in line for a 2nd one, if you hustle.
Pretty sure thats the point. EMH is too powerful. It causes everything in 1 park to be rammed for the first ~3 hours of opening. By spreading it out to all parks every day you get a guaranteed spot on any ride you want.

Is it ideal? Absolutely not, but it's realistically the better option if the goal is not to make an EMH park not worth going to for anyone staying off site.

Another thing to remember - Whilst locals and those traveling to disney inside the US may only stay for < a week, most international tourists stay for 2 weeks. Making the 30 minutes a much more useful tool as they have every single day to take advantage of it, giving them an extra 7 hours in the parks (any park) when they are quieter over a 2 week period.

It'll obviously still upset a few people - thats to be expected. Just giving some more context outside of the bubble of domestic vs international visitors as this is often completely forgotten about.

Incomudro

We have always stayed on property.
So, we'll go early and enjoy that benefit.
Go back to the hotel at the end of the day, shower and then head for dinner - which is almost always in a park.
Stay in the park 'till closing, and enjoy the lighter ride wait volumes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom