News Early Theme Park Entry and Extended Evening Hours coming for resort guests

kenny279

I don't understand the blow back to this. In one way I can understand that people feel something has been taken away from them, but this sounds like Disney's competition with Universal in a way (if not that a way to soften paid fast passes). When I stayed a deluxe resort at Universal, I got a free express pass. It seems to me that Disney does not want to do something like that when paid fast passes arrive. Instead, this is a perk that matches it some way while still charging for fast passes.

In one way I can understand that people feel something has been taken away from them
Well, when one pays A and it includes X Y Z and etcetera and now one pays A + B, and it no longer includes X Y or Z and barely etcetera, I also would find it hard to understand why people would be angry about this. It makes perfect sense, the more you pay the less you get. In your case they should raise the rates even more then to create an even greater sense of exclusivity.

Jrb1979

I hope they release EMH to all guests. This is bumming me out, because room rates have doubled in price in recent years. The rack rates have steadily increased + parking fees + reduction in discounts & group rates. A few years ago we stayed at Polynesian and Beach Club for under $300 / night including tax and it was the last year of free parking. That was the most I've ever spent. Now I can only imagine what it is. Probably $400 before taxes. Not even going to look I'm so bummed out.
It sucks but this is just the beginning of classifying the tiers of hotels

kenny279

Well, when one pays A and it includes X Y Z and etcetera and now one pays A + B, and it no longer includes X Y or Z and barely etcetera, I also would find it hard to understand why people would be angry about this. It makes perfect sense, the more you pay the less you get. In your case they should raise the rates even more then to create an even greater sense of exclusivity.
But Extended Evening Hours is not Extra Magic Hours. They already took extra magic hours away and said they are not coming back. These are two separate things.

I am DVC, I already paid a lot into it - a nice car's worth. Each time they raise the dues, I am paying more. I am in means a "Disney apologist" as I think they charge way too much for reduced magic, but to me the value is still worth the cost. If that changes my idea of keeping DVC may change, but I do not think that this taking something away as it has already been taken away prior to the COVID changes.

Right now, I think Universal's Free Express Pass for Deluxe guests is a better value, but I do not know this specifics to this one. I just think all the complaints are glossing over the fact that Universal offer a huge perk ($300 worth) to Deluxe resort guests. It is something I would never purchase otherwise. Also, I do know that their rates are less than Disney - right now.

Last edited:

Gravydeen

Has it been made clear whether you have to have a reservation at the park to participate in the extended hours or can you park hop to that park later in the day to participate?

nickys

Premium Member
Has it been made clear whether you have to have a reservation at the park to participate in the extended hours or can you park hop to that park later in the day to participate?
Either. It was in the DPB article.

“Please note that guests will need a valid ticket or pass and a theme park reservation for the same park on the same day to experience extended evening hours. Or, guests may visit with a ticket or Annual Pass with the Park Hopper option as long as they entered their first park where they made their reservation earlier in the day.”

But Extended Evening Hours is not Extra Magic Hours. They already took extra magic hours away and said they are not coming back. These are two separate things.

Suddenly changing the name of something doesn't make it new. If they decide to call Fastpass+, LightningPass and made it a pay to use system, it's still Fastpass but now it has a bigger cost/is more exclusive. What do you see as the difference between Extra Magic Hours and what they're calling the new program?

but I do not think that this taking something away as it has already been taken away prior to the COVID changes.
They had Extra Magic Hours in 2020, and just decided to not bring it back using COVID as an excuse and instead rebranded it with a new name for deluxe only. This is objectively taking it away as a COVID change and only giving it back to a small group.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
EMH were for all resort guests....now evening hours are for deluxe only guests and morning are only 30 minutes........Curious to see if this affects occupancy rates and hotel bookings........

What is the perk to staying in a moderate or value resort? You lost ME, free Magic Bands, the transportation is mostly busses, advanced 60 day FP booking (likely gone with new paid FP), EMH, no evening EMH......so now you get 30 mins in the morning? Big %$^@#ing deal...............Most people wont use the 30 morning minutes and those that do, the benefit is so minimal its not worth it.........

With this move, Disney somehow managed to alienate 75% of their resort guests (value and moderate guests) AND AP holders (now cant get in for rope drop or stay late)

Good job alienating 90% of your guests
Hey, I agree with you, but I was just referring the how the value of just the ticket has diminished over the years. I'm not saying its not worth it to go to the parks anymore, but there are very noticeable de-valued experiences now.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All resorts, even those dirty flea-ridden value resorts, still get the Morning early entry every day of the week for all the parks.

Also, if people are crunching hours, perhaps they could compare September hours now to a decade ago...

dreday3

30 minutes isn't much but you could probably knock out Peter Pan, SW7DMT and be in line for Space Mountain before everyone else gets in.

I'm actually a fan of this everyday, every park early entry. But when you put it next to being able to stay in the park for a few hours after close, it seems...a little less. :D

UNCgolf

30 minutes isn't much but you could probably knock out Peter Pan, SW7DMT and be in line for Space Mountain before everyone else gets in.

It's going to depend on how many people actually show up. 30 minutes isn't a very long window if thousands of guests show up; you could end up waiting in line for basically the whole period if you want to do a headliner and you're not at the front of the line to get in.

If the number of people who use it stays roughly comparable to the number of people who rope drop now, it will be fine. It's still less of a perk than the old EMH due to the very short window and the lack of evening hours (except for deluxe guests), but not too bad considering it's an option at all four parks every day. However, If the number of people goes up significantly, it could end up being almost no perk at all unless you're lucky enough to be at the front of the line.

I expect the number of people using it will increase because I think Disney will heavily market it as a resort perk -- they almost have to since there's not much else to point to -- but who knows. We'll find out eventually.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom