Early Park Admission & Security questions

DRD

Original Poster
Counting down to my WDW/Universal trip in about 2 weeks and had 2 questions...

Early Park Admission is set for Universal Studios during our trip. Is the entire park open early for resort guests or just Diagon Alley? Our plan (obviously) is to head to Diagon Alley first both days we're there anyway, but most trip planning sites I've read don't even mention if the rest of the park is open or not.

Secondly, a question on how to go through security more quickly. We're staying at Royal Pacific. Is it quicker to take the ferry and go through security there than it is to go through security at the park gate?

Thanks so much!

JillC LI

For whichever park is open early that day, the entire park is open, not just the Harry Potter areas (although I'm not sure if every single ride is open early).
When we stayed at Royal Pacific, there was no way to go through security at the resort before taking the ferry. You still had to go through security at the park.

Disneyhead'71

Counting down to my WDW/Universal trip in about 2 weeks and had 2 questions...

Early Park Admission is set for Universal Studios during our trip. Is the entire park open early for resort guests or just Diagon Alley? Our plan (obviously) is to head to Diagon Alley first both days we're there anyway, but most trip planning sites I've read don't even mention if the rest of the park is open or not.

Secondly, a question on how to go through security more quickly. We're staying at Royal Pacific. Is it quicker to take the ferry and go through security there than it is to go through security at the park gate?

Thanks so much!
The attractions USUALLY open for EPA at USF are Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, Mummy, and Gringott's. And most of the stores in Diagon Alley.

As far as security goes, there is a security check at the dock of the water taxis and where the pathway from RPR enters CityWalk. I would just do the water taxis as the line for security is usually short, and the water taxis drop you off close to USF.

Since you are staying at an onsite deluxe, you will have Express Pass so you'll find your days touring the parks to be delightfully relaxing.

WDWFREAK53

Here's another question...
If we check in on Saturday, can we enter the park early if we haven't checked in yet? (Room wouldn't be available at that time).
Or...would we need to go, check in, and then head to the park?

DRD

Original Poster
Thank you both....Universal Studios (not IoA) is open for EPA in October. With limited early openings for rides, I guess that's why most every trip plan I've read suggests hitting Diagon Alley first. We were planning on that anyways, but nevertheless...

Do the water taxis drop you off at a different entrance (not the main entrance) inside the park I assume/past security?

lebeau

Thank you both....Universal Studios (not IoA) is open for EPA in October. With limited early openings for rides, I guess that's why most every trip plan I've read suggests hitting Diagon Alley first. We were planning on that anyways, but nevertheless...

Do the water taxis drop you off at a different entrance (not the main entrance) inside the park I assume/past security?

The water taxis all unload at the same spot at CityWalk. It's a short walk across the bridge to the main entrance of the parks.

GLaDOS

There is no security at the gates of the parks. The security checkpoint for them is in the parking garage rotunda. The water taxis drop off in front of NBC Grill Brew in CityWalk, and it is a short walk to the park entrances from there

lebeau

The attractions USUALLY open for EPA at USF are Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, Mummy, and Gringott's. And most of the stores in Diagon Alley.

As far as security goes, there is a security check at the dock of the water taxis and where the pathway from RPR enters CityWalk. I would just do the water taxis as the line for security is usually short, and the water taxis drop you off close to USF.

Since you are staying at an onsite deluxe, you will have Express Pass so you'll find your days touring the parks to be delightfully relaxing.

Seconded.

I know we have talked about this before, but you will be surprised how little planning is needed at Universal with EP. Things are so laid back, we barely even used early park admission. When we do get up early, it's usually to cast spells rather than ride rides. Later in the day, the walkways will be crowded, but we will bypass the lines all day long. So even during EPA, we're not running from ride to ride. It's the perfect time to take in the atmosphere while the park is relatively empty.

You can literally show up with no plan whatsoever and just follow your whims. If you have a couple of ideas of what you would like to do that day, that's all the plan you will need. Know when the park closes, if there are any special events or any shows you need to schedule around. Other than that, enjoy being spontaneous!

I will also offer this bit of advice. It seems to me that the people who get burned out on Universal are the ones who focus solely on the big rides. Be sure to take in all the sights and minor attractions. There's lots to explore. It helps break up the day. Some of our favorite experiences came from just wandering around somewhere.

DRD

Original Poster
Thanks y'all! I have to admit a tad bit of anxiety with the Universal part of our trip simply because we've never been. But I'm glad to know that the Express Pass is as worry free as I anticipate it being.

My plan is to be at Ollivander's right at the beginning of EPA (assuming its open) so the girls can go ahead and get their wands and (hopefully) one is selected for the show. Then, basically soak in Diagon Alley as much as we can until it gets crowded, then move out into the parks to explore.

I'm finding some conflicting information...do both Gringotts and Forbidden Journey take Express Pass? Was watching a youtube video recently that said one (can't remember which) does not take Express Pass. If so, that might change the game plan a little for EPA.

JoeCamel

Thanks y'all! I have to admit a tad bit of anxiety with the Universal part of our trip simply because we've never been. But I'm glad to know that the Express Pass is as worry free as I anticipate it being.

My plan is to be at Ollivander's right at the beginning of EPA (assuming its open) so the girls can go ahead and get their wands and (hopefully) one is selected for the show. Then, basically soak in Diagon Alley as much as we can until it gets crowded, then move out into the parks to explore.

I'm finding some conflicting information...do both Gringotts and Forbidden Journey take Express Pass? Was watching a youtube video recently that said one (can't remember which) does not take Express Pass. If so, that might change the game plan a little for EPA.
Yes both have express, which Olivanders? There are two. The one in DA has two rooms and the one in Hogsmeade has one.

Rob562

Here's another question...
If we check in on Saturday, can we enter the park early if we haven't checked in yet? (Room wouldn't be available at that time).
Or...would we need to go, check in, and then head to the park?

You will have to at least stop at the hotel to obtain your room keys, even if the room isn't ready yet. That's what they'll be looking for for Early Entry (and Express Passes, if you're at a hotel that includes it).

For many years neither Forbidden Journey nor Gringott's accepted Express Passes. (Neither did Rip Ride Rock-it)
That changed maybe two years ago.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

Personally I don't think the early admission is all that worth it, unless you do enjoy getting up early. You will have unlimited express pass already so you won't benefit much from the early admission to a few attractions.

lebeau

Personally I don't think the early admission is all that worth it, unless you do enjoy getting up early. You will have unlimited express pass already so you won't benefit much from the early admission to a few attractions.

Seconded.

If you're going to be up anyway, by all means, take advantage of EPA. But when you have EP anyway, EPA isn't that big of a deal.

lebeau

The Harry Potter rides didn't take EP until summer 2017. They changed the policy almost as soon as we left that year. ;)

There's no guarantees with the Olivander's show. It's neat, but not essential. Our oldest got chosen on our first viewing. It helped that there weren't a lot of other kids there. My youngest has been trying to get picked ever since and hasn't had any luck. If you are there during EPA, your chances are probably a bit higher as there may be fewer kids to pick from. At the end of the day, the show is about 5 minutes long and everyone empties into the same store, so it's really not a big deal.

Getting the wands first thing is a pretty good idea. That will give you time to hit some spell locations before the park fills up too much. Although you may want to consider hitting Gringott's first so you don't have to stow your wands in a locker while you ride. You will have to use a locker for all your personal items on several rides including Gringott's and it's really not a problem, but I always felt a little uneasy stashing expensive items in the lockers. We try to minimize carrying around the wands as much as possible. You'll be fine either way.

Wait times at Universal aren't as consistent as they are at Disney. There will be times when Forbidden Journey will have an hour long wait and then an hour later, it will be down to 15 minutes. With EP, there will often be no wait whatsoever. Other times, you might still have a pretty substantial wait. Last time we rode Gringotts it was a 15-20 minute wait with EP. If you are there during EPA, it won't be an issue. Through the rest of the day if the EP wait is on the long side you can opt to come back later and it will probably be a walk-on. The worst case scenario with EP usually isn't bad at all.

Don't stress the Universal portion of your trip. You are doing it right. It will be the most worry-free part of your vacation.

Disneyhead'71

A couple of hints:

1. The stand-by queue for Kong is much better than the express line. If Stand-by is less than half an hour, I would do that.

2. Don't listen to the naysayers, Fallon is fun. Albeit a bit silly, but your girls will like it.

3. The Horror Make Up Show is a hidden gem. It's not very scary and hilarious.

4. Finnagan's Irish Pub is great.

DRD

Original Poster
Thanks, y'all. You all have been so helpful...and I now feel much better about the Universal side of our upcoming trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom