Early entry to Main Street at MK

redsbe

Original Poster
Has anyone been to MK lately and stayed at a non WDW resort? If MK opens at 9am with main street opened at 830am are non WDW resort guests held back at the TTC until 9am? Or can we get through TCC and on the monorail to the main gate of MK before the 830am main street opening? We are going in a few weeks and would get up early to experience the opening of MK if possible.

Dwarful

if no one is able to answer this question for you then you might call disney up and ask them directly..we always stay onsite so i cant help you here...but i doubt they take the effort to sort the crowds out...

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by redsbe
Has anyone been to MK lately and stayed at a non WDW resort? If MK opens at 9am with main street opened at 830am are non WDW resort guests held back at the TTC until 9am? Or can we get through TCC and on the monorail to the main gate of MK before the 830am main street opening? We are going in a few weeks and would get up early to experience the opening of MK if possible.

A recent poster who stayed off site stated that they had been held at TTC.

Thread...Disneynutcase under News & Rumors...What's with making Us Wait...

2much2do

Originally posted by Dwarful
if no one is able to answer this question for you then you might call disney up and ask them directly..we always stay onsite so i cant help you here...but i doubt they take the effort to sort the crowds out...

Actually, when we discussed this on another thread recently, the person said that they held everyone back at the TTC. So, even if you were staying on-site, but chose to drive your own car to MK (why on earth would you do that????), you would have been held at the TTC as well. The advantage to staying on-site in this case is that the buses from the resorts drop you off right at the gate to the MK, and you bypass the TTC altogether. In this case, you would be allowed onto Main Street before everyone else.

I sure am glad I am staying on-site in 5 days!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

redsbe

Original Poster
I am planning to call Disney when we arrive (good luck actually taking to a live person rather then just the recorded park open information!) but was wondering if the practice of holding non WDW resort guests at the TTC until 900am opening at MK was now the norm and perhaps a new advantage to staying at a WDW resort or maybe was just a way of controlling crowds during peak days when WDW resorts are booked and they anticipate rush into MK

Invero

Okay, this is how it goes.

Disney Resort Guests who chose to take advantage of Disney Transport get dropped off at the turnstiles, and get to participate in the 9:00 opening ceremonies.

Those guests who stay off property, or drive thier own cars get held back at the Transportation and Ticket Center until the 8:45 "First Family" ceremony. At 8:45, the rope gets dropped, and guests are allowed to board the Monorails and Ferryboats to the Magic Kingdom.

Disneynutcase

Hey, cool!

So nice to have my old posting referred to. Guess that makes me a star!

Yep, what everyone says seemed to be true when we were there a few weeks back. If you're staying off site, expect to be held at the TTC until official park opening time, unless...

You stumble upon the way around this like we did by booking a Character Breakfast at 8:00am (or earlier). This got us into the park and in a primo spot for touring because we were already in the middle of the park and were done eating by about 9:10am. Both Crystal Palace and Cinderella's Royal Table do early breakfasts (and both restaurants are good food and very fun), and MK CM's were letting people onto monorails if they had Priority Seating reservations for both MK breakfasts and also character breakfast at the Contemporary (Chef Mickeys), the Grand Floridian (1900 Park Faire), and the Polynesian (Minnie's Minnehune). All five places will get you past the TTC prior to official park opening time.

However, remember that with the latter three restaurants (all at monorial resorts), you'll need to hop on a monorail and/or figure out a way to use one of the resort "launches" (aka--smaller ferry boats) to get you to the MK main entrance. And with gobs of people going from the TTC to the main entrance at park opening time, you probably won't find much room on the monorails for a while until the crowds at the TTC thin out.

I'd advise you to figure out your MK entrance strategy, anticipating the worst (like a half hour wasted just to get inside the park), and once you know what you want to do, go back to this site and post a similar thread to this one. Perhaps you'll find some different answers since what I got was that Disney keeps changing how they do things.

And yeah, my family arrived early thinking that they let people into Main Street early and found that not to be the case any more.

redsbe

Original Poster
I did see the earlier post on this topic but got to wondering how new this policy was and if perhaps it was put in place only at peak visitation times to the MK, like in case from earlier post when it occurred in early April after easter and during spring break (my son had spring break that week) - and one of the busiest times of the year at MK. In that case such a policy of holding non WDW resort guests at the TCC until 845am would function as crowd control during dates when the WDW resorts are full and also provide a bonus feature to WDW resort guests since the Early Entry Program has been cancelled. Does WDW promote this to WSW resort guests and is it linked to the morning character greetings at each WDW resort? So sort of a come early have the characters send you off to MK for opening? Being able to attend the opening of the gates to main street at 830am prior to full opening of the MK at 900am has always been a part of the MK experience for me and one I wished to share with my son when we visit WDW in a few weeks. Guess we miss out on that when saving $1000 a week staying 15 minute drive from WDW (closer than some of the WDW resort properties).

Invero

Originally posted by redsbe
Being able to attend the opening of the gates to main street at 830am prior to full opening of the MK at 900am has always been a part of the MK experience for me and one I wished to share with my son when we visit WDW in a few weeks. Guess we miss out on that when saving $1000 a week staying 15 minute drive from WDW (closer than some of the WDW resort properties).

Well... you can still attend the 8:45 "First Family" celebration at the TTC... and then, at 9:00 is the official opening of the gates at the MK... there is a chance that you might make it.

As for closer than some resort properties... The furthest resort from Magic Kingdom (AK Lodge and All Stars) are only a 13-14 minute bus ride from the Magic Kingdom... And that is doing the speed limit. They're really not as far as everyone thinks.

redsbe

Original Poster
so what exactly happens at the MK gates at 830am? they still open 1/2 early but only for WDW resort guests? is there a special celebration for WDW resort guests at 830 or 900am? And what is with the first family celebration at the TTC? why there of all places? why not do that at the MK gates at 830am? oh well at least I am saving that $1000!

hellokitty1

no they do not let wdw resort guests in before 9 am.

They choose two lucky families who get a special wand and candy
I believe who help count down till nine o clock. that was it.
they had a few characters when i was there. they have never let us in before 9 am however.

this was not the case at other parks(epcot/mgm), they let you in but had ropes up at the end of the main road that is where they held the ceremony.

TTC is probably the same.

I guess the only way to get to the gates would be to go to the poly or cont. and ride the monorail from there. you can walk to the poly from the TTC and catch the monorail from there and beat the TTC crowd.

:)

WDWPVNY

Was off-site last week with my family. I can confirm that transportation from the TTC did not start until 8:45am. The line was pretty long already to get onto the monorail - don't know what time people began to line up at. After the monorail/ferry ride you wait in line for security checkpoint - those without any bags/purses can proceed faster. Then you can get to the turnstiles (not much of a wait here). The two days we went to MK, we did not get in our first ride line until about 9:40. Character breakfast would help you get in earlier, but you need to book these early or hope for cancellations. We did get to go on many rides by utilizing FastPass and eating early lunches.

I would also recommend going to see Fantasmic! at MGM while you are at WDW - get seated by 7:30 though for 8:30pm show.

Dwarful

Ok now I am totally confused...aside from the day that we have an early character b'fast..what time should we head to MK? We are staying onsite..but part of our group wants to be in Fantasyland when the ropes dropthe older kids want to be heading for the space mountain etc! Thanks for any info you can provide us!

Disneynutcase

If you want to be in MK as early as the Disney folks will let you, since you're staying at a WDW resort, if I were you I'd be on a WDW Transportation bus--make sure its the one that by-passes the TTC and goes directly to the MK main gate--at least 45 minutes prior to the posted MK opening time (maybe sooner or a bit later depending on how far your bus has to go and how many stops it needs to make before getting you to MK).

If there are crowds when you are at WDW, you might even want to consider getting on the bus a bit earlier. Yes, this means you'll probably be in a nice-sized line to get into the park, but they are not letting anyone into MK until opening time.

I think this should still keep you ahead of the crowds and get you to your ride destinations since everyone else will be in the same boat as far as entrance goes.

For us, on our second day at MK we had a 8:00am PS at Cinderella's and ended up in a primo spot for Fantasyland and Tomorrowland rides. Our first day, as I well documented, ended up with a first hour at the park that was kind of a wash. We really didn't get to the things we wanted to because of the crowds already assembled and because we had to go from the TTC at park opening time and not the main entrance.

W/o a breakfast PS, just expect a bit of frustration, then a mad rush once the gates open and the entire park becomes fair game. It's not quite the mellow mentally satifying opening that they used to give us, but it will eventually make you breathe a sigh of relief when you're still walking right onto Buzz Lightyear and/or Space Mtn.

Good luck. Have a great trip. And report back on what you experienced as far as entrance goes. I'm interested to find out if what happened to us was only due to the last lingering days of Easter break. And especially if some policies have changed.

doctor tigger

Ok, so now I'm more confused than I was before!:confused:

We have a character breakfast PS at 8:15 for Crystal Palace in June. We will also be staying off property. I'm assuming that we will have to park in the lot and go through TTY to get to MK---how do we do that if they don't start running in time? What time should be get there (ie to the parking lot)?

a confused Doc Tig:confused:

doctor tigger

wow---I completely left out the one important word from my last post----we are NOT staying on site, we are staying at the Wyndham Palms----that makes a big difference in how the question was worded. I guess I need to know how this works if you are NOT staying on the property and have to park in the WK lot.

Thanks, and forgive me for being scatterbrained today:hammer:

Doc Tig

BradleyJ

Originally posted by doctor tigger
I'm assuming that we will have to park in the lot and go through TTY to get to MK---how do we do that if they don't start running in time?

The parking lot will be open and the trams will be dropiong people off at the TTC. Long before your PS time.

Just park like you normnal would.

When you approch the gates behind the TTC. The will have one they are letting people in who have breakfast PS's. As long as your name is on the list they will let you through.

There is nothing to be confused or worry about.

Disneynutcase

Yep, what Bradley says is true. The monorails are actually running prior to official opening time, but they are only being used for Monorail Resort Hotel guests and for people with breakfast PS inside MK and at the three Monorail Resort Hotels.

If you encounter a crowd for an 8:15am PS, you're probably in for an insanely crowded day at MK. More than likely a CM will let you in and direct you to the next available monorail.

We had no problem with this whatsoever--whisked right inside and off to MK.

On the day when you don't have a breakfast PS, head in early knowing that you'll be stuck waiting at the TTC until at or close to official opening time. Best advise I can give to you is to anticipate your first ride in MK to be happening somewhere between 9:15 and 9:30 (on 9:00am opening days).

doctor tigger

Dear BradleyJ

Thanks---I've just breathed a huge sigh of relief. It's so nice to have all you people out there who have been through this before! I promise to let everyone here know how things go when we get back!

Enjoy the day,
Doc Tig

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom