dxwwf3's Summer 2010 Trip Report

I came back a few days ago from a great 9 day trip. I'm going to post some thoughts about the trip from park to park.

MK:

Saw the new Hall of Presidents for the first time. I was a huge fan of the previous version of the show and found it to be one of the most quoteable attractions in all of WDW (Yer darn right!). But I think they absolutely knocked this out of the park. I thought they did a great job with the HM refurb, but I think this is the single best addition to the MK since the New Tomorrowland in 1994/1995. Excellently paced show that never stops entertaining from start to finish. If you have limited time in the MK, you still can't miss this show. It's amazing to have something done in the MK that ISN'T aimed at children. Such a nice change of pace. Looks like at least a few people remember that the MK started out as a FAMILY park.

Tomorrowland is extremely depressing and then you add the Club 626 dance party to it....only thing left to do is replace the CoP with a gift shop and meet and greet.

If the Liberty Tree Tavern's Pilgrim's Feast is ever taken off the menu for lunch, the VP of the MK should be fired :lol:

Epcot:

Ate at Le Chefs de France for the first time ever. I was blown away. I know French Onion Soup is a pretty common soup, but I've never had it before and I went back later in the trip just for another bowl. Absolutely fantastic. And if you ever mind yourself missing the Fettuccine Alfredo from Alfredo's, the macaroni and cheese here is the closest thing I've ever had to it. I'll never go back to WDW on a long trip and not go back here.

Sum of All Thrills really surprised me. It's kind of like a poor man's Forbidden Journey and for an Innoventions exhibit, that's not bad. The preshow is the single worst in the parks now and that will hurt my re-rideability though. My gosh it had to have been made by the same people who made the most recent HISTA preshow. Horrible.

The Spaceship Earth finale is still a disgrace to the park. For an attraction to be picture perfect up to the very end and then to completely drop the ball is so sad. Hopefully they finish it the right way and give the triangles some purpose.

DHS:

The new Tower of Terror drop profile was great and I hope is added to the random sequences, but the effects for Nightastic just weren't good. I don't like the way they used the picture in the 5th dimension room and using curtains to cover the effects up in that room were disappointing. I will say that I am glad they tried this though. Effort was there and there were some good things added (the big band music entering the drop shaft was nice, although they need to bring that part of narration back on top of it).

Rock and Glow Dance party found a way to be more embarrassing than Club 626. I went to Guest Relations and complained about its awfulness. It's not New Year's Eve, so let us enjoy walking down Hollywood Blvd without terrible music blasting.

This park needs a major show overhaul. BatB, VotLM, Indiana Jones, LMA are all tired shows and need to be replaced. Not to mention the wastelands that are the Animation Building and Backlot Tour. Star Tours 2 will help the park, but there's still a lot of work left to do.

AK:

I don't know what is more embarrassing: Disco Yeti STILL being there or the multitude of effects not working on Dinosaur.

Also would it kill somebody to time the start of the preshow of Dinosaur with the actual admittance of the guests? If you aren't the first person in the room you can forget about Dr. Marsh. Horrible.

Great change to Flame Tree BBQ with adding sauce and napkin stations to the major seating areas instead of just one station. Great thinking there.

If you haven't walked around this park, ridden Kali, or ridden Everest at night, you've never really been to the AK.

dxwwf3

Original Poster
I wish they would go with a similar lunch menu at the Garden Grill at The Land. I would love to be able to go in there and just order their catfish, but it's hard to go there for $34.99 at dinner when there are so many other great places to eat at WDW at much better prices.

Luckily they still have a normal, regular lunch menu at Liberty Tree Tavern

invictor23

Nice trip report, shame to see some negativity, but now you've said it it does bring back memories from my last trip in 2008. I think some cosmetic work does need to be done in certain areas of WDW, particularly Tomorrowland...just seemed a bit plastic when I went.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Great change to Flame Tree BBQ with adding sauce and napkin stations to the major seating areas instead of just one station. Great thinking there.

If you haven't walked around this park, ridden Kali, or ridden Everest at night, you've never really been to the AK.

FlameTree used to be like that in it's early days. During all the cuts that have happened to it over the years that was one of them. Glad it has returned. Now they just need to get the food back to where it was years ago.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
FlameTree used to be like that in it's early days. During all the cuts that have happened to it over the years that was one of them. Glad it has returned. Now they just need to get the food back to where it was years ago.

The fact they no longer serve that HUGE corn muffin is why we did not eat there!

WDWFigment

I completely agree with you regarding the update to Hall of Presidents, but completely disagree with regard to the Tomorrowland dance party. I hope you have more to come...9 days...you have to have some pictures or additional thoughts! You're one of the best posters here, don't deprive us!

dxwwf3

Original Poster
I completely agree with you regarding the update to Hall of Presidents, but completely disagree with regard to the Tomorrowland dance party. I hope you have more to come...9 days...you have to have some pictures or additional thoughts! You're one of the best posters here, don't deprive us!

Well thanks for the compliment, but there isn't really a whole lot new from last year's trip. And to be honest, I didn't really take many pictures at all except for documenting Toontown Fair and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I will say the Tomorrowland Dance party seemed to be better overall than the Rock N Glow Dance Party. But I've seen grass grow that was more entertaining than that.

We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge, to me the best resort on property. I would NEVER, EVER, EVER pay extra for a Savannah Room there though. The animals are nice, but I only spent about 5 minutes there looking at them. To me the best part of this resort is very simple: you're always under cover. From the time you leave your bus to the time you walk in your room, you don't have to worry about heat or rain.

Also I like the resort layout with the segments branching out from the center. You're never really that far from anything. I love the quick service options at The Mara and that you never have to worry about finding a table there. Also Boma's breakfast is the best I've ever had anywhere. Especially when you can ask them for Zebra Domes and they are able to get you some :sohappy:

Bus service at AKL is the best I've ever seen as well. Much better than the Polynesian from last year. We never had to wait long for any bus either way. I like most of the resorts at WDW and I would like to stay at Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk at some point, but I don't like any of them as much as AKL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom