dxwwf3's 6/22 - 7/1 Trip Report

Got back yesterday from a wonderful trip and since we went to Disneyland last summer instead of WDW, there were quite a few new things to experience on this trip and I'll focus more on things like that as opposed to giving day by day reports.

The thing I was most looking forward to on this trip was the Epcot historical exhibit near Club Cool and I was not disappointed in the least. Just hearing the classic music in the park again made my trip. This was a very well done exhibit and I'm very glad that I got to see it. I can't wait to take some friends there next week and show them what they unfortunately missed out on (this will be their 2nd WDW trip).

Tepen Edo - I did enjoy the original restaurant here, but they have made a major upgrade for sure. The portions of my lunch chicken meal were far greater than what we used to get. It could have just been a fluke, but I bet we got twice the chicken than in past visits. Also they have a new sauce that is sort of like a mild shrimp sauce that is so common in Japanese restaurants at least in this area. The food quality was amazing and well worth the $18. We will be going back.

O' Canada - It is no secret that the original show was my favorite thing ever in World Showcase. The music, narration, and visuals were perfect. But it was dated and I didn't complain about getting a new film. Do I like this as much as the old version? No, not even close. But I do feel that they did a great job with it, as long as it can be changed rather easily. There are a few parts that will date itself rather quickly. The joke about the France pavilion film was pretty brilliant though. And I get goosebumps when the updated main theme starts with the original show opening with the mounties enter. Best part of the whole film.

Gran Fiesta Tour - The only word that comes to mind after this is: meh. El Rio del Tiempo was in need of an update, but this really didn't improve things much, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it, but this wasn't much of a rehab at all. It was kind of a bland and forgettable changeover, but certainly not bad.

Well that sums up Epcot and I'll hit the other 3 parks and some other general observations later on today. I'll talk about Toy Story Midway Mania, Finding Nemo The Musical, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, and the Crystal Palace lunch buffet and there might be some surprises in what I thought.

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Well it didn't take me long to forget probably my two most important thoughts on the whole trip, both of which are found in Epcot.

I was very excited to see the retro EPCOT Center shirts in the parks and I did manage to buy one. It was the one where it says the 21st Century Began October 1, 1982 going up and down with the EPCOT logo on top. Unfortunately, that is the only shirt I bought....because it was the only one they made in a XXL. Apparently EPCOT Center fans must be mostly under 200 lbs and under 6 feet tall. I am neither. The shirt that I got was almost too short and was extremely thin. It still fit, but it isn't the most comfortable shirt I've bought there for sure. You would think that nowadays they would have XXXL shirts and in these designs I would have got them in that size if nothing else but for length. So I would suggest for anyone that is planning on buying a EPCOT Center retro shirt, to look at a size larger than you normally wear first and try it on. It will more than likely be what you will want. Very frustrating.

And then you have Spaceship Earth. My opinion about present day Spaceship Earth is the most odd feeling I have ever had about a Disney attraction. But it isn't an unusual opinion about it either. While I love the 94 score and narration most of any in the attraction, I actually didn't mind the Dench narration. The script is easily the worst in attraction history, but she makes the most of it. And the score is fantastic. Not quite up there with 94's, but really there isn't much that is that good.

The updates to the first 3/4 of the attraction were pitch perfect. The AA's were amazing, the sets sparkled and the fall of Rome smell was better than ever. And the new scenes involving computers could not have been done any better. I also loved seeing The Matrix tunnel. But then it happened..........

The first thing I noticed was how the delivery of the "aboard Spaceship Earth" line was completely off. It used to be such a powerful moment when you would hear the line, turn the corner and then see the Earth. But it doesn't work the way it is now. Then we rotated backwards for our return to Earth. And a lot has been said about the ending to SSE with opinions all across the spectrum. In my own opinion, the ending for Spaceship Earth is the worst ending in the history of Disney theme parks. My mouth hit the floor and I was actually prepared for it. I had seen pictures, but didn't have it really spoiled and I was still shocked. It was almost like you can tell where they ran out of money. Absolutely nothing about this ending worked for me. The endless light thing was kind of neat, but the ending is where the music is supposed to shine. From Tomorrow's Child to the 94 score, you're supposed to be uplifted by SSE. Not depressed by seeing a corny, Jetsons ripoff that feels completley out of place in the attraction.

With all of that said, the Siemens sponsorship gave us the first 3/4 of the attraction and a removal of the wand. So overall, great job on SSE. Just remember to wake me up at the Exit :)

dxwwf3

Original Poster
I'm not going to be as long winded with the rest as I was before :lol:

Toy Story Midway Mania - Very well done D ticket attraction that is a perfect fit for the Studios. The technology is amazing and Potato Head was better than expected. I'm still not very good at the game for a number of reasons (and I'm a hardcore video gamer), but I still really enjoy it. Huge upgrade over Millionaire.

Monsters Inc Laugh Floor - It's surprise time. I actually enjoyed this attraction. Would this have fit better in the Studios? You bet. Does it feel out of place in Tomorrowland? Uh-huh. But they actually did a good job here. From the queue to the themeing to the actual content of the show, this is actually a worthy replacement for The Timekeeper. Sure it doesn't come close to being as good as that attraction was, but who really expected it to be? For what it is, I have to give it two thumbs up. I have never been interested in seeing Turtle Talk with Crush in person, but based on videos and whatnot, MILF seems like a much better attraction. So while it might not be the best fit for the area, at least it is miles ahead of what is across the street.

The Crystal Palace - I've long been against the abundance of character meals in the Magic Kingdom. There's just too many of them. But the one thing I continually hear is that the Crystal Palace is by far the best one of them. And at $25 for lunch, it had certainly better be. But guess what? It is fantastic. The food was really great and they had a huge variety of simple foods done really well. I would highly recommend it and will go back. The pork loin, mac & cheese, garlic mashed potatoes, and some kind of cornbread dish were the best things. This place is worth the price because of the food quality. It isn't a rip off just to see characters.

Finding Nemo The Musical - Talk about an upgrade. This is on a whole other level from Tarzan Rocks. Right up there with the Aladdin show over at DCA with plenty of songs you can't get out of your head. Can't wait to see it again.

Ok I think those are all of the new things for me this trip and now for some general observations:

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Buzz Lightyear is in need badly of a rehab. Neither of the guns in our car worked properly and the whole attraction feels worn down.

Took a Keys to the Kingdom tour and I really enjoyed it. Matthew was our guide and he was brilliant. He could tell our group was into it, so he extended it a bit. It was great to finally spend a little bit of time in the Utilidoors. But the real highlight is going backstage behind Splash Mountain and Pirates. It is amazing how close those two show buildings are.

The ONLY place to get soft serve at WDW is at Mrs. Potts in Fantasyland. Highest portion and best quality.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is my new favorite resort. We stayed as far away from the lobby as you can get and it was still just a 5 minute walk to get there. The rooms are great and the location to the parks isn't as bad as you might think. We only had to wait over 5 minutes for a bus 1 time in about 20 bus rides there. I hope they keep offering Annual Pass discounts there because if they do, we might not stay anywhere else.

Zebra Domes lived up to the hype.

I don't know if any of you were at the Animal Kingdom on June 23 for Extra Magic Hours Evening, but I swear to you Expedition Everest was running about 10 miles an hour faster than usual. I swear it was like a whole other ride. Sadly, it never ran the same way again on the trip, as I had hoped they had made some permanent changes. But was anyone else over there that night to back me up?

You now evidently get SOAKED right after the lift hill on Kali River Rapids if you are going backwards. That waterfall doesn't go down nearly as much as it used to :lol:

Overall I had a wonderful time and I can't believe I'll be back one week from right now. Hopefully I can take the time to do a little more detail watching on this trip. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

nibblesandbits

dxwwf3 said:
Gran Fiesta Tour - The only word that comes to mind after this is: meh. El Rio del Tiempo was in need of an update, but this really didn't improve things much, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it, but this wasn't much of a rehab at all. It was kind of a bland and forgettable changeover, but certainly not bad.

I agree with you on this one. It was in need of an update, but I only felt meh about it. I actually think it was b/c I had a hard time hearing and understanding what was going on. It was like it was sensory overload or something in there and that caused a problem with me.

I'm glad to hear you had a great trip. I'm one who's taking the trek over to DL this year...I'm anxious. Any tips on that?

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Ok I've thought up of some tips that might help you on your trip:

The best advice I could give you is to get to the parks early, especially Disneyland. This is true for the WDW parks, but it is even more so here because of so many people traveling from home. For me, it is easier to get up early on vacation than it is at home. Also because you will more than likely be staying within walking distance to the parks (I would reccomend the Disneyland Hotel if you want to splurge a bit, but the Howard Johnson and Desert Inn on Harbor have earned high marks from the community).

My reccomendation on attractions is to do Space Mountain first thing and get a FastPass before riding, so you can get two rides quickly. You're better off looking at the Submarine Voyage later on in the day since almost everyone heads there as the gates open. From my experience, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder never seem to get the same type of lines as they do at WDW. About 1 hr and 30 minutes after opening, we rode Splash two times in a row where we were the only people in the log.

Indiana Jones was my favorite attraction and has the best queue ever made. But you don't have to worry about missing any of it with FastPass. With FP you only "miss" the outdoor queue area. But on Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin, you do miss the entire queue by using FP. And that queue is almost as great as Indy. So I would recommend waiting it out for that one. And then using FP for repeat rides.

Do not think of the counter service spots at DL as being the same as they are at WDW. The prices are a bit higher, but the quality and portions are usually a lot better. Rancho del Zocalo, River Bell Terrace (especially at breakfast), and Taste Pilot's Grill at DCA were my favorites.

The Tomorrowland side of the Matterhorn is vastly superior to the Fantasyland side.

Try your best to ride California Screamin' as close to the end of the operating hours as possible so you can ride it at night. It is wonderful at night.

You will get a lot wetter on their Splash Mountain than you will at WDW. A LOT wetter. They also have a Single Rider Line that goes through the exit. They don't publicize that a lot, but we used it a lot.

Don't shortchange DCA. It isn't the best Disney park by any stretch, but I really enjoyed it and spent a lot of time there. A lot more than I was expecting. Don't miss the Aladdin show.

That's about all I can think of right now. I loved the resort and Disneyland is my favorite Disney park. I can't wait to go back.

nibblesandbits

Thanks!!! Those are some really great tips! I appreciate them all! :D

I'm not a morning person, but maybe b/c my clock will be off, I'll be able to get up earlier and to the park on time. :lol:

I heard the sub's lines don't ease up during the day though...is that true?

I'm excited to ride Roger Rabbit...and a little nervous to ride Indy...I don't like things popping out at me...but I'm gonna try it once...b/c I hear it's so amazing. Oh and Cali Screamin sounds amazing. Can't wait to try that one too.

Thanks for the tip about Splash and the single rider line. And even my DH is excited about the Aladdin show...and he hates musicals.

So thanks again for all the tips...they will definitely come in handy.

Yay for better food! :slurp:

dxwwf3

Original Poster
I heard the sub's lines don't ease up during the day though...is that true?

I don't think things are as bad this summer as they were last year, naturally because it opened last summer. But the time that I found was best in the day time was right before the Parade of Dreams starts. The wait is outside and can be somewhat slow moving, but I waited 90 minutes for that attraction twice and it didn't bother me at all. Part of that might have been being in a new park and still taking in the sights. I would say that if you walk by and the wait is less than 50 minutes, hop in. It will go by faster than you think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom