DVDs at the parks

Fran98765

Original Poster
We just returned from the parks and saw some DVDs that we considered buying. There was one for each park and they were $20 each, but had a box set with all 4, plus an extra DVD from Disneyland for $80. The descriptions aren't very detailed, so we wondered if anyone has gotten these DVDs and if they are any good? If they are, maybe we'll call and order them.

Zip-D-Dude

I purchased the Magic Kingdom version and it was the pits. :( I could not believe that Disney made it. Some of the extra info was nice, but not for the price.

Mr Bill

I remember seeing a thread about this set a while back, and people mentioning that it wasn't great at all. They said that CMs at the shop were actually advising against people purchasing it.

alanindy

I purchased the Epcot and Studios DVD's back in May 2005 when I was there. I never even finished watching either of them, they were so bad. I got about 1/3 of the way in and just started skipping ahead/fast forwarding, and saw nothing worthwhile. I was embarrassed that the Disney people even sold these, much less put their name on it and were involved in the production of it. I wish I could have the $40 back that was wasted on these seriously substandard pieces of garbage.

The problem with them is not only some bad attraction footage used, but they are "hosted" by character actors such as a "scientist" for Epcot and "Hollywood starlets" for the Studios. The studio one doesn't even use the actual streetmosphere people even though it is a direct rip off of them. Most of the discs are wasted with these characters and their supposedly amusing antics around the park and their reactions to an attraction.

Note to Disney:
Show us the daggone park, show us samples of the attractions & shows, and have a simple, pleasant voice over. If you MUST add some characters into the thing, then use ACTUAL DISNEY characters, or maybe some of the resort TV hosts. People buy these as video memories of their trip, to show friends back home, have images of things they couldn't get with their camera or didnt, and to get a Disney 'fix' between visits. We couldn't give a mouse's backside about some horribly acted fake character that takes up the majority of the time on the disc, and dont want to see that. Who is responsible for this horribly produced set of DVD's?? Dont ever let them have anything to do with this type of project again.

Rant finished. Now, if someone wants to know how I really feel about these bad DVD's and doesn't want me to 'hold back', just ask.....lol

Nut4Disney

I bought the EPCOT one last year. Everyone is right, these are horrible. It was narrated by one of the actors over at the Adventurer's Club as "CY N Tific" It is basically file footage of EPCOT over the past 15 yrs spliced together as a DVD. Some of the video is even outdated looking. Very amateurish.

DisneyNirvana

I so agree with all of you that these DVD's are terrible. The Epcot DVD has a corny scientist as the "tour guide" through Epcot.

I wish Disney would just make a DVD that follows "a day in the parks" style, with natural sounds. They don't need totally fake characters. I got the impression they made the DVD for pre-schoolers!

CThaddeus

The Disneyland one was pretty awful, too. It advertised itself as the 50th anniversary edition, yet didn't contain any of the updates done to the park for the 50th, most likely because it was slapped together before the 50th celebration began. In addition, they advertised on the box that it had both the Snow White and Aladdin musicals as bonus features. Silly me, I thought they might put all or at least a good portion of the shows on there. Instead, I got 30 second ads. Lame.
I was actually dumb enough to pay $29.99 for the "first edition" of it that was released around May. Now they've re-released it with a different cover for $19.99 and, from what it says on the DVD itself, exactly the same stuff. And then, of course, there is the box set. If I'd known about that coming out, I'd have saved the $30 and applied it to the set. Granted, the set appears to suck from what everyone has said so far, but even so I'd rather have the complete sucky set instead of just the single sucky disc (yes, I'm that much of a Disney geek).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom