dvc

wdwfan30

Original Poster
does anyone know any websites or have info about dvc? like how much to put down and monthly payments and such? thanks

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Your bets bet is to go through Disney. There are so many options that can effect the price that anything you will find at other sites would be an estimate at best.

wdwfan30

Original Poster
thanks,thats what i am going to do but i wanted to get a little background before i talked to them so i would be prepared for what i might be told.

Craig & Lisa

:wave: how much it is depends on how many points you want to have, my wife and I did not have the money to put down, but a deal was offered to us to cash in our first use years points to make the down payment and we were able to join. we would like to get more points so we don't have to go one year in a studio, not that it was a bad thing, but we would like to go with our sons and be able to get a one bedroom and have our own room without the boys in the bed right next to us, even though you have to pay a fair amount up front we have figured that it has saved us ALOT over the last 2 years we have been members.:D

Gail Hayden

wdwfan30 said:
thanks,thats what i am going to do but i wanted to get a little background before i talked to them so i would be prepared for what i might be told.

there are many threads on the topic here. If you do a search or go to the bottom of the page you will find much on the topic.

Woody13

Most all DVC owners are going to tell you to whip out your wallet and buy! They honestly think the DVC is a good deal. Surely they thought long and hard before they decided to buy into the DVC and they don't like it when non DVC members question that expenditure. Some DVC members feel insulted when people like me question the financial wisdom of a DVC contract. However, with some trepidation (puts on flame suit), I say the following. Cost wise, it clearly makes no sense. You can rent DVC points for far less money per stay (no matter how often or how infrequently) than any "ownership" of points. Low cost DVC rental points are abundant.

DisneyPhD

I bet you guys were wondering where I have been!

As the ABC guys says "a informed consumer is the best" Always know what you are getting into. Thanks Art for posting the site.

Some people have different ways of looking at money, Woody and I are like that. The genral rule in money you do better buying then renting. Besides renting is pain in the but and if you own you have it all set for the next 40 to 50 years. Some people think it is a good deal to have lease on a car instead of buying.

Infact when we bought DVC I was working, then I got laid off. No problem since we already own our vactions are taken care of. (my income was the 2nd for the family, not our only.)

Look into to and ask away. I am really glad we did. 5 weeks to go, BCV, AP (with DVC discount of $100 off ) and now the new DDE ($25 off) gives you 20% off all sit down meals with the AP! Looks good to me. :wave:

ripleysmom

While renting from a member sounds like a fine option in theory, it really depends on how often you are looking to rent, etc.

It seems that most DVC members (that I know of) are charging $10/pt for rentals. That means that the real point cost renter is abut $5.50-$6.00 per point. If you rent 10 times then you have paid the cost of a point for DVC. Why do that and have nothing to show for it at the end of those 10 rentals when you can make that investment now and have a 37-49 years to enjoy.

Also remember that those rental prices are not going to stay at that level. As a renter you are gambling that per point rental prices are not going to increase. As a DVC owner the only costs that are going to increase are your maintenance fees and so far Disney has a done a good job of keeping maintenance fee increases reasonable.

We purchased in 2000 and our purchase has already paid for itself in that we have taken a Disney Cruise and stayed in 2BR villas which are accommodations that we never would have been able to stay in without DVC. Easily we have more than recouped our purchase price.

Edited to add....

Hi Gail!!

DisneyPhD

ripleysmom said:
While renting from a member sounds like a fine option in theory, it really depends on how often you are looking to rent, etc.

It seems that most DVC members (that I know of) are charging $10/pt for rentals. That means that the real point cost renter is abut $5.50-$6.00 per point. If you rent 10 times then you have paid the cost of a point for DVC. Why do that and have nothing to show for it at the end of those 10 rentals when you can make that investment now and have a 37-49 years to enjoy.

Also remember that those rental prices are not going to stay at that level. As a renter you are gambling that per point rental prices are not going to increase. As a DVC owner the only costs that are going to increase are your maintenance fees and so far Disney has a done a good job of keeping maintenance fee increases reasonable.

We purchased in 2000 and our purchase has already paid for itself in that we have taken a Disney Cruise and stayed in 2BR villas which are accommodations that we never would have been able to stay in without DVC. Easily we have more than recouped our purchase price.

QUOTE]

Thank you, that is what I was thinking, but couldn't get the words out right. (and you did it in much less words!) :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

And welcome to WDWmagic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom