DVC Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel now reopening May 2nd, 2021

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Editing to add latest information - see this post for the new reopening schedule -

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 12.10.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Stevek

TP2000

I don't get it. There's not really any money for Disney to make by having people stay in DVC rooms is there?

Nor is there any reason to be in Anaheim without operating theme parks or an operating convention center. Maybe it's just a contractual obligation they have to do legally before they hit the 1 year mark?

One look at the daily photo reports from @George Lucas on a Bench shows how desolate and abandoned the Resort District is, with landscaped sidewalks that smell faintly of urine.

Who the heck would use their timeshare points to stay there now under these circumstances?

But then, I've never understood the timeshare shell game and never will, so I'm obviously not the target audience.

Come wander empty streets! See the decay! Have three meals a day at Downtown Disney! Smell the urine!

Stevek

Nor is there any reason to be in Anaheim without operating theme parks or an operating convention center. Maybe it's just a contractual obligation they have to do legally before they hit the 1 year mark?

One look at the daily photo reports from @George Lucas on a Bench shows how desolate and abandoned the Resort District is, with landscaped sidewalks that smell faintly of urine.

Who the heck would use their timeshare points to stay there now under these circumstances?

But then, I've never understood the timeshare shell game and never will, so I'm obviously not the target audience.

Come wander empty streets! See the decay! Have three meals a day at Downtown Disney! Smell the urine!
While fundamentally I agree, some DVC folks very well could just want to feel like they are immersed in Disney again, minus the parks. In a Disney Hotel, using a Disney Pool, Shopping and dining at DTD...a little Disney staycation. Would not make me use points if I was DVC but I wouldn't be surprised if these book up...we've seen Disney fans do much stranger things over the years.

AJFireman

Same thing happened in Florida. DVC Resorts opened about 3 weeks prior to the theme parks. I also feel its probably something in the contract that this need to happen without them refunding something to their members. At least now if a customer doesnt use their points its on the member. DVC can now say they gave members the opportunity to use their points at their home resort. There is is nothing in their contract that states that Theme Parks have to be open.

TP2000

While fundamentally I agree, some DVC folks very well could just want to feel like they are immersed in Disney again, minus the parks. In a Disney Hotel, using a Disney Pool, Shopping and dining at DTD...a little Disney staycation. Would not make me use points if I was DVC but I wouldn't be surprised if these book up...we've seen Disney fans do much stranger things over the years.

Same thing happened in Florida. DVC Resorts opened about 3 weeks prior to the theme parks. I also feel its probably something in the contract that this need to happen without them refunding something to their members. At least now if a customer doesnt use their points its on the member. DVC can now say they gave members the opportunity to use their points at their home resort. There is is nothing in their contract that states that Theme Parks have to be open.

Both of these thoughts are valid points. It's probably a combination of the two; a contractual obligation and a hope that some DVC members are desperate enough for "Disney" that they'll use their points and stay at the Grand for a couple days just to swim in the pool and wander around Downtown Disney and Buena Vista Street.

It should be interesting to see how many folks take them up on this odd offer.

TP2000

Came on just to say that when I spoke with reservations, they said just the rooms are opening and not the dining.

Okay, this is just weird.

So no restaurants; Napa Rose, Storytellers Cafe, and the Don't-Call-It-A-Snack-Bar Craftsman's Grill.

No day spa. No early entry to a theme park that is closed. No World of Color viewing. No lobby singers or musicians.

Is the lobby gift shop open? Or is the entire entertainment value of staying in this creepy ghost hotel comprised of a poorly trained and incompetently managed desk clerk who says with a cheesy smile "Welcome Home!" before she tells you what she can't do for you?

This DVC reopening is apparently more about a contractual obligation to avoid lawsuits, rather than a genuine desire to reopen this timeshare location for hospitality purposes. In a Resort District that is empty and smells vaguely of urine.

Last edited:

fctiger

This is certainly pretty bizarre news lol. Who would travel and use points at one of these DVCs just to roam around DTD for a few hours? I don't get it at all. At least with WDW, there is a lot more to do and see even if the parks themselves are closed. But DLR is barely just a day experience with only DTD and the hotels open (and DLH is of course still closed too). They don't even have a movie theater anymore....not that that matters much at the moment either.

Darkbeer1

There is none. Unless you are a Disney lawyer trying to keep DVC from collapsing under a wave of lawsuits.

Yep.

California (and Florida) has stated that operating Hotel Rooms/Timeshare are safe to do so, and that the majority of DVC members can access the location. Therefore they can operate the DVC units legally.

So to honor the contracts, Disney feels they must operate the units.

So what does the contract cover? Well, check-in, check out, maid service, parking and common area maintenance, that is it.

So that is what Disney is planning to deliver, what the DVC contract covers, and anything in the contract that is not allowed currently due to government rules, well, that is exempt.

But just think what the GCH in house TV channels will offer.....

Darkbeer1

This is certainly pretty bizarre news lol. Who would travel and use points at one of these DVCs just to roam around DTD for a few hours? I don't get it at all. At least with WDW, there is a lot more to do and see even if the parks themselves are closed. But DLR is barely just a day experience with only DTD and the hotels open (and DLH is of course still closed too). They don't even have a movie theater anymore....not that that matters much at the moment either.
But there are some things open in the area.

They can get a reservation for the Taste of Merry Farm at Knott's, visit the Bowers Museum, go shopping and dining at GardenWalk, Outlets at Orange, Main Place Mall, Buena Park Mall, etc.

jerryp49

Not sure exactly how time share works...but i think reservations are made 11 months in advance. and a broker like David`s Vacation Club charges something like $14 to $19 a point, paid up front... Correct me if I`m wrong...Just curious

jerryp49

Thank you... thought this was interesting :

When does my DVC Membership end?
The number of years you own your points is based on the Home Resort you purchase. Each DVC resort has a different expiration date that was set by Disney when the resort opened. All ownerships, regardless when purchased, will revert back to Disney on that date.

fctiger

But there are some things open in the area.

They can get a reservation for the Taste of Merry Farm at Knott's, visit the Bowers Museum, go shopping and dining at GardenWalk, Outlets at Orange, Main Place Mall, Buena Park Mall, etc.

And yet there won't be much open in the hotel itself. And none of those are really worth getting a room for. GardenWalk?? Yeah, OK lol.

But obviously if people think its worth doing, more power to them. But it doesn't seem like much of a draw to use your points for unless you just really want to get out of the house (and I can certainly understand that lol).

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

And yet there won't be much open in the hotel itself. And none of those are really worth getting a room for. GardenWalk?? Yeah, OK lol.

But obviously if people think its worth doing, more power to them. But it doesn't seem like much of a draw to use your points for unless you just really want to get out of the house (and I can certainly understand that lol).

Disney has opened the DVC units for legal reasons, it really doesn't matter to them if people use them.

Heck, they would prefer folks go to Florida, where they can profit off of Ticket, Food, Drink, Merchandise and other revenues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom