DVC Resale vs Direct

correcaminos

Thanks! Two more parking related questions, does a resale dvc owner have theme park parking for free? And can you park at other resorts for free?

You get theme park parking with any stay onsite as of right now or with an AP.

You can always park at other resorts while visiting for free. As for overnight, if the stay was booked on points or at any DVC resort (ie booked through Member Services) you park for free. If you are staying at any non-DVC resort that you paid cash for, you pay.

Phonedave

I had knew I had forgotten something - Welcome Home Wednesdays!

The Valet Parking is one I actually understand why it went away. I never had a chance to use it, but loved the idea of it. Now to get cost effective valet parking, you need TIW.

They were very open about why it went away and why they did it. I have to agree with them. Subsidizing those who use valet parking is not the right thing to do. It would have no impact on me, because I own at SSR (we don't valet park in the hood) but I still agree with not loading it on all owners at resorts that do have valet.

-dave

correcaminos

They were very open about why it went away and why they did it. I have to agree with them. Subsidizing those who use valet parking is not the right thing to do. It would have no impact on me, because I own at SSR (we don't valet park in the hood) but I still agree with not loading it on all owners at resorts that do have valet.

-dave

I'm an OKW owner so I get it about living in the hood ;) Actually the 'suburbanite' area of my other home (PVB) isn't bad either. The parking is super closer to all the rooms and closer than valet would be.

I'm with you though, they made the right choice. It's not something I'd want to pay dues on. Plus if you use valet that much TIW is a good option. 5 uses and it has paid for itself and then some.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Wellllll? Sandy and I own at BRV. Direct through Disney....

Could be of value if we explain what we DO NOT do.....

1) We never trade DVC points for that silly "other Hotel" system...
2) We hate cruises.
3) We've BEEN in those DVC Lounges.... for about eight minutes. We don't bother with them.
4) Don't care about parking.... we fly in from MI, and use WDW transportation & cabs.

So for us? ALL of the above could just walk away. We don't care.

What IS of value is ONE FUNDAMENTAL THING: to mis-quote Bill Clinton:
"IT'S THE NIGHTLY ROOM COST, STUPID!"

Yup, having hit break even in 6 Years? Our cost at BRV is roughly $120/night. THAT is payback. Main Hotel, at discount, is now running around $450/night. We also take advantage of TIW, and GOLD APs. And the last thing: You have a CONTRACT. WDW can play all they like, a CONTRACT is a very good thing :).

But of the things of value? Not sure that ANY of these require you to "buy direct"? Gotta confess... several years ago, if we had understood resale? It might have been a better deal :).

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Wellllll? Sandy and I own at BRV. Direct through Disney....
alue is ONE FUNDAMENTAL THING: to mis-quote Bill Clinton:
"IT'S THE NIGHTLY ROOM COST, STUPID!"

Yup, having hit break even in 6 Years? Our cost at BRV is roughly $120/night. THAT is payback. Main Hotel, at discount, is now running around $450/night. We also take advantage of TIW, and GOLD APs. And the last thing: You have a CONTRACT. WDW can play all they like, a CONTRACT is a very good thing :).

But of the things of value? Not sure that ANY of these require you to "buy direct"? Gotta confess... several years ago, if we had understood resale? It might have been a better deal :).
I might have a deal going through but i am getting 150 points that were banked and have to be used by Jan 30th 2019....anyway to unload those points fast? I will if the deal goes through be getting them sometime in November...any advice?

correcaminos

I might have a deal going through but i am getting 150 points that were banked and have to be used by Jan 30th 2019....anyway to unload those points fast? I will if the deal goes through be getting them sometime in November...any advice?
Try to rent and hope for the best? Or use them any way you can think of even if they aren't a great use normally, you'll still get some use instead of letting them expire.

Riburn3

Resale vs. Direct at this point in the game is a simple question of do the perks in value outweigh the enormous savings of buying resale? Most of the time the answer is no. Sometimes smaller contracts like 25 points end up being similar in price when buying direct for certain resorts, and the convenience of buying direct and reduced closing costs can make more sense for you for these little contracts.

Long term I guess the only fear for folks with resales is Disney handcuffs them even further and restricts them to their own resorts. I doubt this happens though as Disney would essentially be devaluing their own timeshare business and people on the buying fence would probably turn tail if they knew the potential resale value of their purchase is next to nothing for some resorts.

The full DVC membership is really more of a feel good status symbol that offers fairly minimal monetary benefits. I’ll be honest and admit I have a direct membership (as well as a resale contract), and it tickles me when I get to use the DVC lounge at Epcot, but it’s not worth the cost.

My suggestion to anyone wanting to get into DVC and also wanting the full benefits of membership is to buy the bulk of your contract on resale, and then buy 75 points (amount now required to be a full direct DVC member) over time in 25 point increments.

In the end though, whether resale or direct, this is a luxury item purchase and if you can afford direct and want the experience of the full membership, I never will fault anyone for going that route. For every person here scoffing at Someone when they buy direct, there’s a 100 people out in the world scoffing at every DVC member for buying into a fairly limited Disney timeshare. Do what makes you happy, that’s what this is all about.

Lensman

When I have points I'm not going to use I just rent them out through one of the DVC point rental sites. They've always been able to rent my points within a few weeks, even when the expiration was 3-4 months away. Sooner the better, though.

Phonedave

Long term I guess the only fear for folks with resales is Disney handcuffs them even further and restricts them to their own resorts. I doubt this happens though as Disney would essentially be devaluing their own timeshare business and people on the buying fence would probably turn tail if they knew the potential resale value of their purchase is next to nothing for some resorts.

That is the tricky part right there. One of the things that attracted me to DVC was the robust resale market, and the knowledge that if something happened and I had to unload my contract, I had a good chance of doing so, and even getting some decent cash in the process. Many other time shares have little to no resale value.

Creating a difference between direct and resale does drive people to direct, but if the resale market suffers because of it, then perhaps it begins to drive people away from direct. It's a dicey play.

-dave

Riburn3

That is the tricky part right there. One of the things that attracted me to DVC was the robust resale market, and the knowledge that if something happened and I had to unload my contract, I had a good chance of doing so, and even getting some decent cash in the process. Many other time shares have little to no resale value.

Creating a difference between direct and resale does drive people to direct, but if the resale market suffers because of it, then perhaps it begins to drive people away from direct. It's a dicey play.

-dave

Yeah, long term I can’t see DVC restricting resale’s much further. At the end of the day the important aspect of being a member remains intact and financially it’s so much smarter to buy resale.

correcaminos

Yeah, long term I can’t see DVC restricting resale’s much further. At the end of the day the important aspect of being a member remains intact and financially it’s so much smarter to buy resale.

I think they're pretty much done. The perks that people get with resale are limited to things that mostly could give them money in return (like the TOWL). Rentals are minor and not done as much by people anyway with so many easily portable streaming options.

I think only thing they will do is up the requirements for full member. They can quietly do that by just increasing minimum direct buy ins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom