DVC Purchase Help

correcaminos

Wow that’s fascinating to me. I figured the 1 BR would be in high demand due to the in-room amenities you had mentioned. We will typically either go in the summer months or during the early part of December so hopefully those time periods will regularly be available. A 1 bedroom would be ideal for us and our needs so hopefully the supply and demand remains the same!

1 bedrooms are the easiest duet to the occupancy number vs the total cost of points for the room. In short, they are about double a studio which may or may not sleep 1 more than a 1 bedroom. Even more than before, studios are the hardest to book (though not impossible) with more and more 1 and 2 bedrooms are easy to book (except at BWV, where a 2 bedroom is a studio + a 1 bedroom always so only 1 bedrooms are easy to book there always). 1 bedrooms are easy as a whole. I don't see this changing. People are buying smaller contracts and wanting studios more than anything else it seems. There are older buyers who like the space, but really as a whole most new people seem to want more studios than before especially since most hold 5 with bedding included (1 bedrooms do not always have bedding but will hold 5).

correcaminos

Oh and I missed the early December - early December is super busy for DVC. Low points plus holiday decorations means people go a lot.

Summer months are pretty darn easy to book. Higher points really helps keep people away.

CLEtoWDW

Original Poster
Good to know regarding December. I guess I would have to book that 11 months to the day to get a reservation.
To me, we are considering DVC because of the 1/2 bedroom options. We like to take breaks at the resort during the day and having the full kitchen would be huge for us.

nickys

Premium Member
The only time you might have an issue with the 11 month window is for something like the AKL Value or Concierge rooms, as there are very few of them, and they tend to fill up within a day or two of the 11 month window. The first 2 weeks of December do tend to go a bit quicker, since the points are so low, and all the decorations are up, but you really shouldn't have a problem at 11 months. Other than that, I cannot concieve of a time when you wouldn't be able to book any room at 11 months at any resort. Obviously, the earlier you can book, the better.

We always book our home resort (SSR) at the 11 month mark, and then decide if we want to switch at the 7 month mark. Sometimes we do, sometimes we prefer SSR, as we love the resort.

I thought the new modification online tool allowed you to do this safely, without cancelling? That’s certainly what I understood from easing people’s experience of it. I’m referring to the changes they made sometime since February of this year, just to clarify.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I thought the new modification online tool allowed you to do this safely, without cancelling? That’s certainly what I understood from easing people’s experience of it. I’m referring to the changes they made sometime since February of this year, just to clarify.
What they changed was the ability to modify an existing reservation to change dates - like adding a day, since you can only reserve 7 days initially, but not to keep an existing reservation while making a new one without canceling the original first. Unless you have enough points for both, you will have to cancel the first reservation to make the second, and if you're not lucky, you could lose both.

If I'm wrong I apologize, but that is my understanding.

Club Cooloholic

1 bedrooms are the easiest duet to the occupancy number vs the total cost of points for the room. In short, they are about double a studio which may or may not sleep 1 more than a 1 bedroom. Even more than before, studios are the hardest to book (though not impossible) with more and more 1 and 2 bedrooms are easy to book (except at BWV, where a 2 bedroom is a studio + a 1 bedroom always so only 1 bedrooms are easy to book there always). 1 bedrooms are easy as a whole. I don't see this changing. People are buying smaller contracts and wanting studios more than anything else it seems. There are older buyers who like the space, but really as a whole most new people seem to want more studios than before especially since most hold 5 with bedding included (1 bedrooms do not always have bedding but will hold 5).
If I am correct, a one bed might not even sleep 4 or 5 as comfortably as some studios, considering one beds at WL. BW and BC dont have the Murphy beds right?

Minthorne

What they changed was the ability to modify an existing reservation to change dates - like adding a day, since you can only reserve 7 days initially, but not to keep an existing reservation while making a new one without canceling the original first. Unless you have enough points for both, you will have to cancel the first reservation to make the second, and if you're not lucky, you could lose both.

If I'm wrong I apologize, but that is my understanding.

You are correct. You can modify a reservation, but that modification does not include changing which points are being used for the existing reservation. If one wanted to switch the contract points used to book a reservation there is no way to do that except cancel the existing reservation and then make a new one. You do not retain the existing reservation once it is cancelled and it is very likely if the resort is not available before you cancel that the rooms you cancel will go to a wait-list or another member before you could get back in to book it with different points. If people could reallocate the points used for a reservation between contracts the whole home resort advantage would be undermined. So it all goes back to the advice of "buy where you want to stay"

nickys

Premium Member
If I am correct, a one bed might not even sleep 4 or 5 as comfortably as some studios, considering one beds at WL. BW and BC dont have the Murphy beds right?

Correct. CCV (the converted rooms at WL) can only sleep 4 period.

Others like at BRV (the original WL villas) BCV, BWV can sleep 5 but you don’t get a bed or bedding for the 5th person.

correcaminos

Good to know regarding December. I guess I would have to book that 11 months to the day to get a reservation.
To me, we are considering DVC because of the 1/2 bedroom options. We like to take breaks at the resort during the day and having the full kitchen would be huge for us.
We are like you. We like our space and relax at the room/resort part way through the day. It's nice to have to or 3 rooms.

You are right. Some 1 bedrooms do not have the pull down bed like the studios do (or a sleeper chair). Some do, but not all. It will always say if it provides bedding or not for the size you are booking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom