DVC Math

toolsnspools

Original Poster
So we have the thread about non-economical reasons to join DVC. I'd like to turn the tables for those who prefer hard numbers. Here's how it will work: There are expenses, and there are savings. Most of them are specific to how each person/family travels. Add items to each category in your response. In the end, we'll have a lengthy list of both expenses, and savings. Individuals trying to make the decision can fill in values that are appropriate to them and leave out the values that don't apply, and get their own set of numbers. BTW, I'm not looking for hard numbers. Just a description of the expense or saving.

Expenses:
Initial Buy in cost
Annual Dues
Park Tickets
Travel expenses
Meals

Savings:
TIW cards
Discounts on APs
Merchandise Discounts
Golf Discounts
Estimated Cost of non-DVC room per trip (minus anticipated discounts)
DDP Discounts
Discounts on Park Tickets
Eating from the Kitchen

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So we have the thread about non-economical reasons to join DVC. I'd like to turn the tables for those who prefer hard numbers. Here's how it will work: There are expenses, and there are savings. Most of them are specific to how each person/family travels. Add items to each category in your response. In the end, we'll have a lengthy list of both expenses, and savings. Individuals trying to make the decision can fill in values that are appropriate to them and leave out the values that don't apply, and get their own set of numbers. BTW, I'm not looking for hard numbers. Just a description of the expense or saving.

Expenses:
Initial Buy in cost
Annual Dues
Park Tickets
Travel expenses
Meals

Savings:
TIW cards
Discounts on APs
Merchandise Discounts
Golf Discounts
Estimated Cost of non-DVC room per trip (minus anticipated discounts)
DDP Discounts
Discounts on Park Tickets
Eating from the Kitchen

You can probably add interest expense if you finance the purchase to the cost side. I know you added eating from the kitchen as a savings but I would add beer/wine in the room too. Significant savings when you buy a six pack from Publix and keep it in the fridge over buying beers at a bar.

Someone else is going to do it anyway, so I guess I can point out that the DVC discounts are not guaranteed and could be removed or altered. They cannot be totally relied upon when making the decision.

copcarguyp71

Don't forget % increase yearly for maintenance fees...I believe max contractually is 15% but best to go with historical which I believe is between 3.5-4.5%.

Statistically this is still below regular lodging increases but that could change over time and become inverse...not necessarily but it could.

flynnibus

Premium Member
you're going to be swimming upstream when you start mixing in discounts that you 'might' use vs expenses you 'must' incur.

For instance... DVC may give you some discounts... but if I can get similar discounts by just buying an AP... and I only have to buy the AP when I need it.. the DVC 'benefit' gets washed out vs alternatives.

You'd be better to build a matrix of scenarios... compute for each.. and then you can put in a table and see where the thing makes sense. Keep the variables as part of the inputs... not make the formulas change.

copcarguyp71

y
Fo
You'd be better to build a matrix of scenarios... compute for each.. and then you can put in a table and see where the thing makes sense. Keep the variables as part of the inputs... not make the formulas change.

30340771.jpg

trs518

Some people take out a loan for DVC (which to me is a big mistake), so you will need account for the interest expense. Also don't forgot closing costs.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Disney vacation = costs you money

staying home = cost less money

It's your money spend it as you want.

I think that this is the best thing anyone has said on this subject in a long time. DVC is like any other luxury item, it is great if you can afford it and that is what you want.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Disney vacation = costs you money

staying home = cost less money

It's your money spend it as you want.

To check this out I looked at how much our group of 21 spent on airlines, rooms (no couple paid cash for rooms all others where DVC), food and tickets. I came to more than $12,000.00. If all of us would have stay home and not come to Walt Disney we would have saved all of this $12,000 and that proves that DVC and all of Walt Disney World is not worth the money.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
To check this out I looked at how much our group of 21 spent on airlines, rooms (no couple paid cash for rooms all others where DVC), food and tickets. I came to more than $12,000.00. If all of us would have stay home and not come to Walt Disney we would have saved all of this $12,000 and that proves that DVC and all of Walt Disney World is not worth the money.
Actually you would have spent money on food by staying at home (and likely other minor expenses), but by far cheaper than going on vacation.....any vacation, not just WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually you would have spent money on food by staying at home (and likely other minor expenses), but by far cheaper than going on vacation.....any vacation, not just WDW.

Not every vacation. I went to Vegas one time for a weekend and hit a slot machine for $1,000. I ended up coming home up a few hundred after paying for my flight, room and meals.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom