DVC - Jambo House vs Kidani Village

JS514

Original Poster
My wife and I are renting DVC points for a trip in May at AKL. We are just doing a studio, but getting a Savanna view. I just cant decide which building I want to request.

By what I've read, Jambo DVC rooms are a bit smaller (not a big deal for us), DVC rooms are only on the 5th floor (is that true?), but the pool is there (not too big of a deal for us), the hotel is more "compact" than Kidani which is spread out. I believe I also saw that the bus stop is last to pick up and last to drop off, but we are used to places like POR so that's not huge for us. QS and TS restaurant locations aren't that huge either. We rarely eat QS at our resort.

I know we can explore both buildings regardless, but what do those of you who have experience think? Is there a "better" Savanna at one or the other? Which building is prettier to walk around? We won't have a car with us, so is one better for the trek to the bus stop? I know I'm kind of all over the place. lol I've just bounced back and forth so many times and thought I'd gauge the opinions of others.

Feel free to add in any tips or things I haven't asked about.

EDIT: Another side question, we are AP's. Can we still book FP's 60 days out by renting points, or is it the 30 day mark?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Jambo is better and it's not even close. Walk into the Kidani lobby and think "ah, this is nice." Walk into the Jambo lobby and think "holy cow, this is incredible!"

If you've never been, it's probably better to think of them almost as two separate resorts than two buildings at one resort. They're not connected, and walking from one to the other is an ugly trip through the parking lot.

JS514

Original Poster
Jambo is better and it's not even close. Walk into the Kidani lobby and think "ah, this is nice." Walk into the Jambo lobby and think "holy cow, this is incredible!"

If you've never been, it's probably better to think of them almost as two separate resorts than two buildings at one resort. They're not connected, and walking from one to the other is an ugly trip through the parking lot.

See, that's what I've sort of gathered. I am pretty big into the aesthetics and feel of a resort. We are lucky to be able to go to WDW once or twice a year for 7-9 days each, so access to certain things like transportation and proximity to parks aren't just huge deal breakers. We want to enjoy and relax at our resort, which is why we are getting a Savanna view.

CaptainAmerica

See, that's what I've sort of gathered. I am pretty big into the aesthetics and feel of a resort. We are lucky to be able to go to WDW once or twice a year for 7-9 days each, so access to certain things like transportation and proximity to parks aren't just huge deal breakers. We want to enjoy and relax at our resort, which is why we are getting a Savanna view.
Definitely definitely Jambo.

FWIW, we've had great luck booking Standard View rooms that end up having a partial view of the savanna. It can't be guaranteed and I'm not sure if any of the DVC units work out that way, but we save lots when we do that.

righttrack

Jambo just feels more special to me. Kidani feels like a deluxe hotel, but it feels like a hotel/resort nonetheless. Jambo just transports me to another place entirely. One of my favorite resorts on property, if not my most favorite.

danheaton

Definitely definitely Jambo.

FWIW, we've had great luck booking Standard View rooms that end up having a partial view of the savanna. It can't be guaranteed and I'm not sure if any of the DVC units work out that way, but we save lots when we do that.

We've also had good luck requesting specific rooms for Standard View and getting views of the savanna. Again, this is not DVC so that may be different. It should be possible to look into that (I use Touring Plans maps), and you may get lucky in that regard. It's worth the shot.

Nottamus

We own DVC at AKL, and sometimes stay at Kidani for a change, and to miss Jambo!

Jambo just has more of everything. Food choices...Boma, Jiko, The Mara.

That being said, we stayed at a 1 bedroom at Kidani and really liked that too.

DVC at Jambo is 5th floor, which is no big deal since the elevators are simple to get to from the main lobby.

correcaminos

I'm not as big of a fan for Jambo DVC as I am Kidani. The lobby is bigger, but it is also louder. I think the animal views from Kidani are slightly better. I prefer the pool there and like being closer to the activities that happen at Kidani (including the community hall).
So for us, Jambo is just too noisy and too hotel like feeling to us. Kidani is more like being at a home for a week and more calm there.

In short, go with what appeals to you more.

nickys

Premium Member
I’ve stayed at Kidani and visited Jambo.

The Jambo lobby certainly has the wow factor, although Kidan’s Is still nice, just smaller. Plenty of artwork at both, and CMs who will happily chat about their country and the animals. Jambo has two TS restaurants and the Mara, but Sanaa (at Kidani) has the savannah views that neither of the Jambo restaurants have. If you can get a table at the window at Sanaa, it really is special (as long as it isn’t dark already)!

The pool at Kidani is lovely, with a better slide. It is smaller but there is more to explore (imo) and the kid’s splash zone is great. Jambo is getting work done just now, and may get a sand bottom - that is pure rumour based on the fact they have dug out the floor, it could just be they are putting in new tiles.

Kidani has the community hall. It is in a way, classic DVC. Smaller, quieter, more intimate. Jambo has the real wow feel of a deluxe resort from the moment you walk in, but can be noisy.

The 1 beds and bigger have the extra bathroom, so 2 in a 1 bed, 3 in a 2 bed. Only Kidani have red river hogs and they are soooooooo cute!

Standard views at Kidani are mainly of the pool area, or front of the resort, which also includes the roadway. Whereas I believe the standard views at Jambo are pretty much all nicer. That said, there are plenty of places at both to see the animals.

JaxFLBear

EDIT: Another side question, we are AP's. Can we still book FP's 60 days out by renting points, or is it the 30 day mark?
Yes, DVC reservations are entitled to the 60 day advance FP+ booking window.

By what I've read, Jambo DVC rooms are a bit smaller (not a big deal for us)
Not including the Values, there is only a ONE square foot size difference between the Studios in Jambo House & Kidani Village.

Jambo House Studio Value: 316 sq ft
Jambo House Studio Std View/Savanna View/Concierge: 365 sq ft
Kidani Village Studio Standard/Savanna View: 366 sq ft

disneyflush

We've stayed at Kidani and if we ever did it again we would choose Jambo. Kidani had a pretty chill vibe to us and we wanted a bit more action.

JS514

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for their responses. We had chosen Jambo, and just as our luck goes, it was sold out for our dates, so we are going to give Kidani a shot. A little disappointed, but, hey, first world problems. :)

mouseinthesouth

If you have a rental car Kidani is better. You can park closer to your room and your car is in the shade. After walking miles at the park the last thing I want to do is make that long trek from jambo parking lot to the hotel.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I'm not as big of a fan for Jambo DVC as I am Kidani. The lobby is bigger, but it is also louder. I think the animal views from Kidani are slightly better. I prefer the pool there and like being closer to the activities that happen at Kidani (including the community hall).
So for us, Jambo is just too noisy and too hotel like feeling to us. Kidani is more like being at a home for a week and more calm there.

In short, go with what appeals to you more.
Agree we prefer Kidani for many reasons including one it being more quiet. We go next door to Jambo almost every day too so I can see the lobby then lol. We love Kidani and Jambo is nice too, but for us Kidani has an edge. Love finding quiet nooks to relax like the almost hidden room to the right of the lobby that has a fireplace with a couch in front of it and doors to go outside with the rockers etc etc. Can’t go wrong with either but we much prefer Kidani! So much so we bought into DVC so it’s our home since 2013. ;)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
If you have a rental car Kidani is better. You can park closer to your room and your car is in the shade. After walking miles at the park the last thing I want to do is make that long trek from jambo parking lot to the hotel.
Yes we always have our car being we drive in from Louisiana and love the covered parking under the resort. :)

correcaminos

Thank you to everyone for their responses. We had chosen Jambo, and just as our luck goes, it was sold out for our dates, so we are going to give Kidani a shot. A little disappointed, but, hey, first world problems. :)

Well as some of us said, we think you're in the slightly better of the two. Be sure to check out the Drum circle (maybe drum cafe) in the evenings. We love the campfire at Kidani too. Short walk to Jambo if you want to or take a shuttle/bus there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom