DVC guests

Jeaniecm

Original Poster
We are new DVC memebers I have a question about the number in the room. We are planning a trip next year with family. My husband and I will be traveling with 3 grandchildren and plan to get a 1 bedroom for us for a week. The son/daughter in law will join us on day 4. They are planning to get a room for them and the grandchildren at Art of Annimation so we will just have grandchildren with us part of our week stay. My question is -- Part of my trip there will be 5 in the room and part only the two of us -- will that be an issue???

HwdStudio

We are new DVC memebers I have a question about the number in the room. We are planning a trip next year with family. My husband and I will be traveling with 3 grandchildren and plan to get a 1 bedroom for us for a week. The son/daughter in law will join us on day 4. They are planning to get a room for them and the grandchildren at Art of Annimation so we will just have grandchildren with us part of our week stay. My question is -- Part of my trip there will be 5 in the room and part only the two of us -- will that be an issue???
No

correcaminos

Depends on where you are staying. Some rooms only hold 4 even in a 1 bedroom and some hold 5. So it can very much be a problem or not at all. Also if one grandchild is under 3 it is never a problem.

Moving locations isn't a problem though. I personally like a 1 bedroom for just 2.

MickeyCB

As above there are 1 bedrooms that only hold 4, but it can get even more fun when you start talking about fast pass selection at 60 days and if you are considering the dining plan. You may already be aware of the following (I learned the hard way):).
The dining plan requires all members of your party in the same room to purchase the dining plan for the duration of stay.
You can book dining at 180 days plus the length of your stay, but I am not sure if all names have to be on your reservation at that start date. (I would check on that), or maybe someone here can answer that.
Also, you will be able to book fast passes at 60 days for the 5 of you, (as the children will be on your reservation), but not your son and daughter in law. Their 60 day mark will begin 4 days later.
I am not an expert and would check how these things work in advance. If the the information above is incorrect hopefully someone here on the forum can correct me.
Regarding resources, we are also DVC members and I have found the DVC member services staff to be incredibly knowledgeable. An example of what they can do is- we are having a split stay in December due to room unavailability, and when the 180 day mark to book dining came I was only permitted to book the first 3 days of our stay (despite no break in staying on property) and the DVC staff were able to make the reservations for the second 3 days for me at the 180 mark. Disney dining does not recognize the 6 contiguous days when you have a split stay.

nickys

Premium Member
As above there are 1 bedrooms that only hold 4, but it can get even more fun when you start talking about fast pass selection at 60 days and if you are considering the dining plan. You may already be aware of the following (I learned the hard way):).
The dining plan requires all members of your party in the same room to purchase the dining plan for the duration of stay.
You can book dining at 180 days plus the length of your stay, but I am not sure if all names have to be on your reservation at that start date. (I would check on that), or maybe someone here can answer that.
Also, you will be able to book fast passes at 60 days for the 5 of you, (as the children will be on your reservation), but not your son and daughter in law. Their 60 day mark will begin 4 days later.
I am not an expert and would check how these things work in advance. If the the information above is incorrect hopefully someone here on the forum can correct me.
Regarding resources, we are also DVC members and I have found the DVC member services staff to be incredibly knowledgeable. An example of what they can do is- we are having a split stay in December due to room unavailability, and when the 180 day mark to book dining came I was only permitted to book the first 3 days of our stay (despite no break in staying on property) and the DVC staff were able to make the reservations for the second 3 days for me at the 180 mark. Disney dining does not recognize the 6 contiguous days when you have a split stay.

ADRs are no problem, you can book for any number and they do not all have to be staying onsite. You don’t have to name who’s dining, just the lead name.

DVC members can ask Member Services (not Disney Dining CMs) to book ADRs for split stays. A very nice little perk of being a DVC member.

Dining plans - yes, everyone will need the same. Do the maths, do you really need one? If you are doing a character meal every day, then it may be worthwhile. Otherwise it can be very hard to make it pay for itself.

FPs can be booked for everyone using the umbrella system. If you are staying onsite, you can book for anyone listed on your friends and family at your 60 day window, as long as they have separately linked tickets (not a package). With DVC that won’t be a problem, you can’t book a package.

Edited to add: of course if your son & daughter in law plan to book a package at AoA, booking FPs for them will be an issue. Dissuade them from booking a package! Point out that since the kids will already be with you, they won’t need a package because they all need to be on the same package (and it would be more expensive to buy two sets of tickets for the kids).

Last edited:

crawale

Last year we traveled with three grandsons - 7,6 and 3. We stayed in a one room and all three slept in the queen pull out couch - plenty of room. Next year we are planing a two bedroom as they will be 9, 8 and 5.

MickeyCB

ADRs are no problem, you can book for any number and they do not all have to be staying onsite. You don’t have to name who’s dining, just the lead name.

DVC members can ask Member Services (not Disney Dining CMs) to book ADRs for split stays. A very nice little perk of being a DVC member.

Dining plans - yes, everyone will need the same. Do the maths, do you really need one? If you are doing a character meal every day, then it may be worthwhile. Otherwise it can be very hard to make it pay for itself.

FPs can be booked for everyone using the umbrella system. If you are staying onsite, you can book for anyone listed on your friends and family at your 60 day window, as long as they have separately linked tickets (not a package). With DVC that won’t be a problem, you can’t book a package.

Edited to add: of course if your son & daughter in law plan to book a package at AoA, booking FPs for them will be an issue. Dissuade them from booking a package! Point out that since the kids will already be with you, they won’t need a package because they all need to be on the same package (and it would be more expensive to buy two sets of tickets for the kids).
Ahh, thank you so much for clarifying. I have never heard of the umbrella term or knew you could book for people not on your room reservation, (but are on family and friends). Great information.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Shouldn't be, as long as you don't exceed the posted maximum guests for the size of the room. One bedrooms have a king size bed in the bedroom and queen size sleeper sofa in the living room. The Villas at GF also have a pull down bed in the living room - it's built in to the TV stand.

What resort were you considering?

LAKid53

Premium Member
I agree with others recommending not booking a package. You don't get a discount on tickets if you do a package with your resort room. And the only way to get the dining package is to include tickets with the resort.

You'll be staying in a 1 bedroom that has a fully equipped kitchen with cookware, dishes, mugs/glasses, utensils, full size frig, stove, microwave, dishwasher, washer/dryer. Your son & DIL will have a suite with a nice kitchenette. I'd consider cooking some meals in your room, especially breakfast. If you're not driving or renting a car, there are companies that deliver groceries to your resort. Garden Grocers is popular with DVC members and their prices are reasonable. You can order groceries through DVC, but the selection is limited and the prices are high - basically what they have available in the resort gift shop.

Almost all my trips are solo and I'm in a 1 bedroom as I want the kitchen, washer/dryer. And the jetted tub is nice, too.

correcaminos

Ahh, thank you so much for clarifying. I have never heard of the umbrella term or knew you could book for people not on your room reservation, (but are on family and friends). Great information.

You don't even have to put names down for dining. Personally I would put the kids on your room the whole time, and just have them sleep with their mom and dad when the time comes. You can actually do the dining plan as a DVC member, but I don't recommend doing that if you are a full (blue card) member since you'll get discounts on dining or access to TIW. Though if you had it for your room only, you could share it with the your son/DIL when they get there.

Also if you want groceries I don't actually suggest doing Garden Grocer compared to Instacart or Prime Now with prices. I think there has been a big shift away from there among the DVC groups I know due to prices and some issues some have had with getting alcohol delivered very recently.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You don't even have to put names down for dining. Personally I would put the kids on your room the whole time, and just have them sleep with their mom and dad when the time comes. You can actually do the dining plan as a DVC member, but I don't recommend doing that if you are a full (blue card) member since you'll get discounts on dining or access to TIW. Though if you had it for your room only, you could share it with the your son/DIL when they get there.

Also if you want groceries I don't actually suggest doing Garden Grocer compared to Instacart or Prime Now with prices. I think there has been a big shift away from there among the DVC groups I know due to prices and some issues some have had with getting alcohol delivered very recently.

Interesting to note about Garden Grocers. I drive, so I just hop in the car and drive to the Publix over by Magic Kingdom. I've done Publix delivery at home through Instacart, but I notice the item prices are a little higher than shopping in the store.

correcaminos

Interesting to note about Garden Grocers. I drive, so I just hop in the car and drive to the Publix over by Magic Kingdom. I've done Publix delivery at home through Instacart, but I notice the item prices are a little higher than shopping in the store.

Interesting. I ran over to Publix quickly mid stay (the one just north of MK, but still in a residential area) and they were pretty much the same prices as what I paid in store. Locally it's the same price too. I don't look at a whole lot of food types. I priced out my GG delivery and did it also with Prime Now and Instacart. I saved almost half from GG using either one. In the end we picked with who had better beer selection LOL I also like not having my driver's license on file to get alcohol (though I do have to meet). I guess I've had much better luck with Prime Now and Instacart in general. Just more of an FYI.

We fly and while we do rent a car, sometimes it's easier to just let the groceries be delivered. Also rental cars have gone up in price so looking for good options. Or for short trips where I don't want to waste an hour or so shopping myself.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Interesting. I ran over to Publix quickly mid stay (the one just north of MK, but still in a residential area) and they were pretty much the same prices as what I paid in store. Locally it's the same price too. I don't look at a whole lot of food types. I priced out my GG delivery and did it also with Prime Now and Instacart. I saved almost half from GG using either one. In the end we picked with who had better beer selection LOL I also like not having my driver's license on file to get alcohol (though I do have to meet). I guess I've had much better luck with Prime Now and Instacart in general. Just more of an FYI.

We fly and while we do rent a car, sometimes it's easier to just let the groceries be delivered. Also rental cars have gone up in price so looking for good options. Or for short trips where I don't want to waste an hour or so shopping myself.

Maybe Instacart in my part of Florida tracks a surcharge on each item. I purchased items I get every week, and they were about 50 cents higher that the price I pay if I wasn't lazy and went to the store myself.

correcaminos

Maybe Instacart in my part of Florida tracks a surcharge on each item. I purchased items I get every week, and they were about 50 cents higher that the price I pay if I wasn't lazy and went to the store myself.
Honestly I cannot speak for other areas. I know I looked at it for my local store (Kroger) the prices were the same for all items I buy. Though I really don't feel the need to use it at home as much so I don't bother really. The store pick up is now enough for me if I wanted that on a lousy weather day.

Publix do not have the same pricing at every store. Especially in high tourist areas, you will see higher pricing on certain items.
I totally have noticed this!! That's why I avoid the one on Vineland Ave. IIRC their prices were pretty bad. The Winn Dixie not far down was much better pricing. The other Publix stores I've gone to were better though not sure how they compare to other further stores.

sndral

Depends on which DVC resort you are staying at.
Resorts where occupancy is 5 in a 1 br. and a sleeping surface is provided for 5 (1 king bed in the master, a hidabed sofa and a small pull down bed or single pull out sleeper chair in the living room):
AKV (most booking categories,) BLT, OKW, Poly, and VGF.
Resorts where occupancy is 4 in a 1 br. (king bed in master and hidabed sofa in living room) that allow a 5th but you must supply the bedding for the 5th:
BC, BWV, Boulder Ridge, and SSR.
Resorts where only 4 allowed:
Copper Creek & AKV value villas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom