DVC Dues Increases

artvandelay

Original Poster
I got this from a post at the DIS. THese are big increases, especially OKW which used to be the cheapest maitenance fee in DVC.

As they are reported

BCV $4.48 --- 4.92 % increase

BWV $4.69---- 6.35 % increase

HH $4.34 ---- 7.43 % increase

OKW $4.24 ---- 9.84 % increase

SSR $3.98 ---- 3.92 % increase

Vero $5.27 - 8.21 % increase + special assessment up to $.50 per point
Vero(sub) $4.12-- 7.29 % increase + special assessment up to $.50 per point

WLV $4.61 ---- 5.98 % increase

lebeau

Magic Maker said:
It does save you money, but it is not for everyone. It is not a bad thing, it just isn't for everyone.

From what I've seen, it only saves you money IF:

1. You can pay the whole thing up front. If you have to finance your purchase, the interest is likely going to outpace inflation.

2. You typically go at least every 2 years.

3. You typically stay in deluxe accomodations.

If you don't meet those three criteria, it is highly debatable as to whether or not you are saving any money.

wdwishes2005

lebeau said:
From what I've seen, it only saves you money IF:

1. You can pay the whole thing up front. If you have to finance your purchase, the interest is likely going to outpace inflation.

2. You typically go at least every 2 years.

3. You typically stay in deluxe accomodations.

If you don't meet those three criteria, it is highly debatable as to whether or not you are saving any money.
those all fit me, but when will the raising of dues stop? will it get to the point where you have to sell your DVC because it's either pay your dues or the house payment?

artvandelay

Original Poster
wdwishes2005 said:
those all fit me, but when will the raising of dues stop? will it get to the point where you have to sell your DVC because it's either pay your dues or the house payment?

Since DVC started dues have increased approx. 3% a year. I hope this isn't the start of higher increases.

socalkdg

artvandelay said:
Since DVC started dues have increased approx. 3% a year. I hope this isn't the start of higher increases.
Dues should always go up. They should ave. at least inflation, which has ave. close to 3%. Throw in replacement costs for items, I'd say an ave. of 4-5% over a 20-30 year period should be expected.

The WDW DVC's ave. approx. 6% for this year, or about .25 a point increase, or $50 more for a 200 point contract. Since 200 points gets you 9 nights in a studio, you are looking at an increase of $5 a night. I believe deluxe rooms went up about $10 per night.

Magic Maker

As I said, it is not for everyone, however it is not just for people that go 2 weeks a year and it is not just for people who stay in Deluxe. But I am not here to defend DVC nor make anyone a member.

Magic Maker

By the way, legally the most annual due can go up in from one year to the next is 15%. The annual dues only go up if they HAVE to, not because Disney wants more money.

harryk

DVC and Dues Increases

Since joining the DVC several years ago, we have more than saved twice our initial investment. DVC has enabled us to continue staying at the premium hotels in WDW and to bring members of our extended family on occasion.
The only drawback that we have seen is that park admission is not included in DVC, and also the meal plans are missing. But both of these are overcome with a little prior planning. (We have been visiting the park for upwards of twenty years on a regular basis - usually staying at the Grand Flo on the Grand Plan) This has been eliminated with DVC - but if we chose to stay at the Grand Flo - the option is there.
To be concerned about increases in dues is a little short sighted if one were to look at the usual room rate increases. They are well ahead of dues increases. The DVC is the way to go.
Hopefully park admission will be included in DVC membership someday - but naturally I am not holding my breath - I'm making due with the annual passes. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

artvandelay

Original Poster
harryk said:
Since joining the DVC several years ago, we have more than saved twice our initial investment. DVC has enabled us to continue staying at the premium hotels in WDW and to bring members of our extended family on occasion.
The only drawback that we have seen is that park admission is not included in DVC, and also the meal plans are missing. But both of these are overcome with a little prior planning. (We have been visiting the park for upwards of twenty years on a regular basis - usually staying at the Grand Flo on the Grand Plan) This has been eliminated with DVC - but if we chose to stay at the Grand Flo - the option is there.
To be concerned about increases in dues is a little short sighted if one were to look at the usual room rate increases. They are well ahead of dues increases. The DVC is the way to go.
Hopefully park admission will be included in DVC membership someday - but naturally I am not holding my breath - I'm making due with the annual passes. :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :xmas:

Park admission was included with DVC up until late 1999. It was a perk that was eliminated.

DisneyPhD

Keep in mind too, that dues don't just pay for up-keep of the rooms. Dues are required to cover actual costs (or projected costs), so Disney is not supposed to make any profit off of it. It pays for everything from housekeeping to the front desk to security to transportation to and from the parks. Dues are different for all of the resorts because of resort size, number of members, how much transport is needed and/or shared with other resorts. For example, BW and BC have relatively low transport costs since you can walk to Epcot. Transport was one of the biggest increases mainly because of gasoline costs going up so much this year. Here's the breakdown of everthing that dues pay for at Villas Wilderness Lodge.

1) Total Number of Homes = 136

2) Interest Income = $44,349; $.0226
3) Member Late Fees and Interest = $26,302; $.0135
4) Breakage Income = $189774; $.0967
5) Dues Assessment = $6,276,839; $3.1992
Developer Subsidy = $147,798; $.0753
6) Total Revenues = $6,685,062; $3.4073

7) Admin & Front Desk = $1,120,548; $0.5711
8) Annual Audit = $10,978; $0.0056
9) DVC Reservation Component = $11,327; $0.0058
10).Fees to the Division= 13,872; $0.0071
11) Housekeeping= $1,635,037; $0.8334
12) Income Taxes = $49,466; $0.0252
13) Insurance = $367,005; $0.1871
14) Legal = $1,000; $0.0005
15) Maintenance = $1,156,995; $0.5897
16) Management Fee = $731,191; $0.3635
17) Member Activities = $259,015; $0.1320
18) Sales Tax on Support Facilities = N/A
19) Security = $72,050; $0.0367
20) Transportation = $744,733; $0.3796
21) Utilities = $529,845; $0.2700
22) Total Expenses =$ 6,685,062; $3.4073/point

Estimated Ad Valorem Taxes= $.9170 per point

Total dues are $4.6139

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom