DVC Cash Room Insight

BigThunderMatt

Original Poster
Hi all! So family and I are planning a trip to WDW in early December of 2021 to enjoy the 50th but also all the Christmas festivities. We're going with 6 adults so we've decided to go with a 2 bedroom villa. We're not DVC members so we'd be paying cash for the room. Just based on previous experience, if we were shooting for a 2BR at OKW during that time, what are the odds of us getting one? Obviously we'd be open to a 2BR elsewhere if OKW was available but I believe the ones there are the largest which is why we were interested in it. I also know roughly that 11 months out is the earliest cash rooms become available. Anybody have a similar experience in booking something like this for a similar time frame for cash that can share some insight?

Thanks!

ToTBellHop

Hi all! So family and I are planning a trip to WDW in early December of 2021 to enjoy the 50th but also all the Christmas festivities. We're going with 6 adults so we've decided to go with a 2 bedroom villa. We're not DVC members so we'd be paying cash for the room. Just based on previous experience, if we were shooting for a 2BR at OKW during that time, what are the odds of us getting one? Obviously we'd be open to a 2BR elsewhere if OKW was available but I believe the ones there are the largest which is why we were interested in it. I also know roughly that 11 months out is the earliest cash rooms become available. Anybody have a similar experience in booking something like this for a similar time frame for cash that can share some insight?

Thanks!
Why not do a rental and save a bundle? If you rent at 11 months out, you pay far less and are sure to get a room. Why pay more for no guarantees?

ToTBellHop

How would that work out if we were wanting to do a package with a dining plan?
When you book a DVC rental, you can also purchase a dining plan. Get your tickets through Disneyworld.com and link everything to your MyDisneyExperience account. Price it out to see what works best. A week in early December 2019 at OKW currently costs $3472 as a rental (tax incl.). Through Disney, a week in December 2018 (as you suggested, they haven't released villas for late 2019 yet through Disney) costs $6150. There is no way in heck Disney will release any sort of discount worth the $2678 difference. That would be a 43.5% discount. Unheard of nowadays.

Weather_Lady

Just to pile on: OP, listen to @MansionButler84 and do consider renting DVC points! When we had a large, multi-generational group and wanted a 2-BR DVC villa at Wilderness Lodge (guaranteed, in advance, as our airfare would need to be purchased around the same time and wanted our room arrangements in place first), renting DVC points made it possible to book at 11 months out (we went through David's Vacation Rentals), and we saved over 40% off of the cash "rack rate" for the same rooms.

The dining plan was easy to set up (we gave credit card information to David's, and they had the member from whom we were renting book and pay for the plan - if you're shy about sharing a credit card number, you can always buy a Disney Gift Card in the right amount and use that instead). We made our Magical Express arrangements with Disney, bought our tickets through Undercover Tourist (saving money there, too), linked our tickets and room reservation confirmation number to My Disney Experience, and were able to plan dining reservations, Fastpasses, etc. as normal. The only thing we did that we don't usually do was to purchase vacation insurance (from TravelGuard/AIG) to cover the DVC rental fee, since there's no way to get a refund if you have to cancel. Renting DVC points for us (we've done it twice more since that first trip) has really been a win-win.

BigThunderMatt

Original Poster
Just to pile on: OP, listen to @MansionButler84 and do consider renting DVC points! When we had a large, multi-generational group and wanted a 2-BR DVC villa at Wilderness Lodge (guaranteed, in advance, as our airfare would need to be purchased around the same time and wanted our room arrangements in place first), renting DVC points made it possible to book at 11 months out (we went through David's Vacation Rentals), and we saved over 40% off of the cash "rack rate" for the same rooms.

The dining plan was easy to set up (we gave credit card information to David's, and they had the member from whom we were renting book and pay for the plan - if you're shy about sharing a credit card number, you can always buy a Disney Gift Card in the right amount and use that instead). We made our Magical Express arrangements with Disney, bought our tickets through Undercover Tourist (saving money there, too), linked our tickets and room reservation confirmation number to My Disney Experience, and were able to plan dining reservations, Fastpasses, etc. as normal. The only thing we did that we don't usually do was to purchase vacation insurance (from TravelGuard/AIG) to cover the DVC rental fee, since there's no way to get a refund if you have to cancel. Renting DVC points for us (we've done it twice more since that first trip) has really been a win-win.

I've been looking into it since @MansionButler84 mentioned renting and it does seem like a great option. We might even be able to swing a Grand Villa but I'd be happy with a 2BR for sure. If you've booked through these brokers in the past how long is the typical turnaround before you hear back that they have a reservation available?

Weather_Lady

I've been looking into it since @MansionButler84 mentioned renting and it does seem like a great option. We might even be able to swing a Grand Villa but I'd be happy with a 2BR for sure. If you've booked through these brokers in the past how long is the typical turnaround before you hear back that they have a reservation available?

I always get them my reservation request just before the 11-month window opens, so they can try it immediately. So far, they have never had a member with the points I needed right away, and I've always asked them to hold onto my request and keep trying. 3 out of 4 times, I've had an e-mail from David's within 2 weeks (so, 10.5 months out) that someone had listed the points I needed with them, and they were successful in getting me my reservation. (The only time they weren't able to, it was because I was looking to book a very specific, very limited and in-demand room category during a popular time of year, with no flexibility, and the room category simply sold out for those dates before David's could get a member with the right home resort and number of points. They did offer me other options but I declined.)

ToTBellHop

I've had great luck with David's. I typically put in my request before bed the night before 11 months so they see it first thing in the morning. If they have what I asked for, I hear back that day or early the next. If not, I get other options to choose from. You have to place a deposit when you place the request but they refund in full if they don't have what you asked for and none of the remaining options work for you.

correcaminos

First things first. Cash via DVC room inventory is completely separate from DVC booking rooms. What goes for 11 months via DVC is not always the same for cash CRO bookings.

Second for a two bedroom, renting will likely save you more money. Only do 1 bedrooms sometimes book through DVC for less than renting. For a Grand Villa I think you will have to rent via DVC. I do not think I've seen a GV for OKW available ever on Disney's site (and I look often for giggles).

Keep in mind that December is a busy DVC booking time so if you want to rent, book earlier than later. OKW in a 2 bedroom will still be easier than GF or BC in a studio at least.

Last, I highly suggest not doing the DDP anyway. It's almost always cheaper to pay out of pocket. You can always pay for food via gift cards if you want it "pre-paid" or something.

Lensman

To add to what others have said about renting points, one caution is that point rentals more mostly non-refundable so it sometimes pays to buy trip/travel insurance. I've only rented points out so I don't have any experience with trip/travel insurance for that, but perhaps others here can elaborate. A quick search found some threads that mentioned it but I haven't found a post going into great detail on it in the context of a DVC rental. David's does recommend it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I booked a room at Grand CA at DLR for next summer through Davids. I put the request in at the 11 month mark and they didn’t have points immediately but they had the points for me in about 2 weeks. That’s a really hard place to get since there’s high demand and only 50 units. How long it takes will depend on timing. If you try to book between 11 months and 7 months out then only owners at OKW can book for you. At 7 months out they can use any points to book your room as long as it’s available.

eliza61nyc

I used dvcrental store, I agree with the others. Also OKW is a great great resort. just stayed there this August past. I purchased the "cancel for any reason" insurance as back up.

Easy peasy and saved a bunch of money

henwen

Ironically, our first DVC stay was at BCV paying cash for a 2 BR. Had no clue about DVC or rentals, just wanted a 2 BR unit for my fam. Oh, and it was during 'free dining' - lol. Several (painful) thousands of dollars later, I learned that we could have rented points for a fraction of the cash cost. Oh well, live and learn :) Bought in shortly thereafter!

ToTBellHop

Ironically, our first DVC stay was at BCV paying cash for a 2 BR. Had no clue about DVC or rentals, just wanted a 2 BR unit for my fam. Oh, and it was during 'free dining' - lol. Several (painful) thousands of dollars later, I learned that we could have rented points for a fraction of the cash cost. Oh well, live and learn :) Bought in shortly thereafter!
Same here. Wasn't until 2014 that we started renting (and joined DVC in 2015). I felt like such a fool realizing that we sometimes paid only slightly less for a value than we could have paid to rent at a DVC! As you say, live and learn.

FCivish3

To add to what others have said about renting points, one caution is that point rentals are mostly non-refundable so it sometimes pays to buy trip/travel insurance. I've only rented points out so I don't have any experience with trip/travel insurance for that, but perhaps others here can elaborate.

I wrote a couple of travel books (not under my name, so don’t bother looking for them), so I know something about this.

A very good place to get Travel Insurance is through www.Squaremouth.com

Compare several different policies.

Travel Insurance policies will also provide Emergency Medical coverage, in case someone is injured. Many policies will also cover emergencies based on a pre-existing illness, IF you purchase the insurance within a specific period of time after you make your first payment for the trip. This specific period of time might range from 3 days up until several weeks, depending on the particular insurance policy. Also, pay attention to the 'Look Back' period on your specific policy. The Look Back period is the amount of time that the insurance will Look Back into your medical records, to see if you got medical care for certain conditions. If you did get medical care, even emergent medical care, for a condition during the Look Back period, then the insurance will not cover that again, if it happens on the trip. Some insurances will WAIVE the Look Back period if you buy within the 3 day or 2 week window, or whatever. Other insurances will list a Look Back period of 90 days or 180 days. If you were in your doctor's office for a Diabetes check up, but the Diabetes was stable, then they will still cover a Diabetic emergency that might arise on the trip. If you are being treated for High Blood Pressure during that period, they will still cover a Heart Attack or something similar that happens, because that is a new problem.

Do be aware that when it says, "Reimbursement of Expenses for Cancellation of Trip for Covered Reasons," those covered reasons are VERY specific. They generally DO NOT cover cancellation because of Military Deployment. Or acts of terrorism or riots. They DO NOT cover cancellation just because you decide not to go. They do not cover cancellation if your work (at the steady job you currently have) says you have to work, and can't take the days off. On many policies it IS possible to get a rider to cover Cancellation for Any Reason, but it is generally expensive and will only reimburse you 50% to 75% anyway, so, if you are that unsure that you will actually be going, you probably should not be scheduling the vacation anyway.

They generally DO cover cancellation for: Major storms (such as Hurricanes); If you lose your job (involuntarily) after you get the insurance; If your job forces you to relocate more than 300 miles away; Severe, significant, unexpected illness of yourself or a close family member (1st or 2nd degree relatives) (such as unexpected hospitalization, though sometimes you just need a letter from your doctor saying you can't travel for medical reasons, or because you need to be there to support your family member who is ill); they will also provide reimbursement if you cancel for death of your family member or a family member of anyone else in your travel party; and they will usually cover if your home is destroyed due to fire or flood or tornados or other natural disasters; they will cover you if you get in a car accident on the way to the airport, that causes you to miss your flight; or bankruptcy of your air carrier, or a strike at the air carrier that grounds your flight. They might or might not (but usually will) cover you if your plane is unable to take you to your vacation because of severe bad weather. And maybe a few other specific reasons. DO READ THE FINE PRINT.

When you buy travel insurance and they ask you how much the trip will cost, YOU ONLY NEED TO LIST YOUR NON-REFUNDABLE/NON-REIMBURSABLE EXPENSES. If there is something for which you can get your money back, such as the cost of a regular hotel room reservation, or a refundable car rental reservation, then you don't need to list that as part of your cost. The reason you only list Non-Refundable expenses is because that is all that they will reimburse you for, anyway. They won't pay you money for anything where you could have got your money back.

When you go to Squaremouth.com, list all the people in your travelling party, who you want to cover. They don't all need to live with you, but just be travelling with you as part of your party. Adding kids is generally very cheap. They usually charge you based on the age of the travellers (they charge more for older people who tend to have more health problems) and they calculate in the cost of your trip.

Trip coverage starts at Midnight on the day of the trip (12:01 in the morning, before the trip) and it runs until Midnight on the last day of your trip. If you are not COMPLETELY sure of your travel days, you might purchase insurance that starts a day or two before, or a day or two after, to give you some flexibility. On the insurance, the number of days is less expensive, usually, than the age of the travellers and the cost of the trip.

If you find you won't be able to go, contact the insurance company on the policy as soon as you can, to see what your options are. Or, at a minimum, try to contact them BEFORE the trip is supposed to start.

Keep receipts, emails, medical bills, airline schedules, itineraries and other evidence. If you need to file a claim, you will need all that stuff. The only time I have ever filed a claim was once when we were on a cruise, followed by a trip to Disneyland, where my wife needed an unexpected emergency Root Canal. We visited a Dentist in one of the ports on the cruise, but they were unable to do anything, so we got her Root Canal done in Los Angeles, the day after we arrived there. We needed to pay for it, upfront. Then we filed with the insurance company. It took several months to get it all done, but they were not hard to work with and they payed promptly once we had provided all the needed paperwork.

I know this was long and complex, but I travel a lot, have done about 20 cruises and far more than 20 trips to Disney, as well as writing books about it, and it took me a long time to understand it. So, I am trying to pass on my knowledge to you.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom