Dumpster diving anyone?

Lilofan

Original Poster
I did this in the past. One man's junk is another man's treasure especially when one can resell online or have your own garage sale. Not just diving into dumpsters but what homeowners leave out for the trash truck to pick up, one can pick up some treasures. A neighbor of mine junked his elliptical machine and I grabbed it. All it needed was 2 double AA batteries to make the on/off screen to work.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I did this in the past. One man's junk is another man's treasure especially when one can resell online or have your own garage sale. Not just diving into dumpsters but what homeowners leave out for the trash truck to pick up, one can pick up some treasures. A neighbor of mine junked his elliptical machine and I grabbed it. All it needed was 2 double AA batteries to make the on/off screen to work.

No, I haven't. But, if those people throw out another elliptical, I should grab it. Lord knows, after all the extra holiday goodies I've been chowing down, I need to get on an elliptical soon! :joyfull:

Oh, by the way, there's no embarrassment about dumpster diving, or helping yourself to curbside throwaways. You're actually quite in vogue now, with "repurposing" items that were thrown out. You're a hit with the recycle crowd nowadays! :happy:

Lilofan

Original Poster
When polled, 10 out of 10 bedbugs said they hope picking-up discarded roadside furniture and taking it home always remains a trend.
There is a guy that has not bought furniture, sofas, chairs in years. He furnished his home with discarded stuff left by the roadside. A good deep cleaning with a carpet extraction machine, wood polish from Home Depot did the trick. It's amazing what people throw out.

jaklgreen

No way. I live a minimalist life. I don't have anything on my walls or shelves full of tchotchkes or other dust collectors. I don't leave small appliances out on my kitchen counter. We have a dining table, sectional couch with an end table, tv with stand, that is it. My bedroom has a bed and 2 night stands. All of our clothes are in the closet. I don't like clutter and junk so there is no way that I would want someone else's stuff in my house.

macefamily

We live one street back off of a well-traveled road. Whenever I have a large piece that I want to get rid of (grill, table, chair, bike) I ask my neighbor whose home is next to the road if I can put it out on his lawn. I have never had to bring anything back by the end of the day. Someone always takes it. The quickest item to go was an old Hollander grill. I looked out of my kitchen window a half hour after I put it out, and it was gone. My neighbor said it lasted 10 minutes.

KBLovedDisney

My mom and aunt forced me once to literally dumpster dive. A local pharmacy was throwing a bunch of stuff out into a dumpster and my mom and aunt made me climb into the thing to get out a bunch of Hallmark cards (not gift cards) and paper products...Lucky for me there was also open canisters of bleach that have been poured into the dumpster as well. So, there I was helping my mom and aunt confiscate a bunch of holiday and birthday cards getting covered in bleach for their selfish desires.

Surprised I am not dead from that. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom