Dumbo & Main Street Updates

SSG

Original Poster
Main Street, U.S.A., Vehicles and Dumbo the Flying Elephant at Disneyland Park to Begin Updates Jan. 8
8e6ff7c60f1838fd271c1daa6b9d4e05

by Kevin Rafferty, Jr., External Communications Manager, Disneyland Resort

Two original Disneyland park attractions will close temporarily beginning Jan. 8 to receive updates. For the first time, the horse-drawn streetcar track on Main Street, U.S.A., will be replaced in its entirety, temporarily pausing the operation of all Main Street, U.S.A. vehicles. Also, Dumbo the Flying Elephant will receive a new queue location for guest comfort and accessibility.

kjhfdhg798730982-613x490.jpg

Refurbishment is a common practice that we perform periodically to keep our attractions fresh and up to date. While sections of the Main Street, U.S.A., track have been replaced before, this complete replacement will incorporate new brickwork that will enhance the look of the iconic thoroughfare. The pieces of original track that remain today will be salvaged and preserved, and the previously updated pieces of track will be recycled.

Dumbo the Flying Elephant also will close temporarily beginning Jan. 8 to move the location of its queue and erect a new shade structure. The attraction will also be up to its “ears” in fresh paint! Main Street, U.S.A., vehicles and Dumbo the Flying Elephant will reopen in late winter and early spring, respectively.

George Lucas on a Bench

I thought they were getting rid of the horses for a second.

You know I've never told this to anyone, but the Main Street Vehicles are the only rides at Disneyland I've never done!

TP2000

Interesting to hear they are laying a strip of bricks down the middle of the street along the tracks. That will be a big change for the original Main Street USA. Other parks have put bricks across the entire street, which can look too busy and weird in my opinion. Disneyland replaced the original cement sidewalks with brick about 20 years ago, but the street has remained that dark concrete since '55.

VJ

Erm... Why so snarky? This kind of closure/restoration news is part of what these forums are all about. And, actually, the closure of the middle of Main St. and Dumbo are pretty big deals, especially for families bringing small children.
I mean no offense, I just personally feel like this a "well, we have nothing else to post, so..." sort of situation. Have they previously announced Main Street repavings?

mickEblu

Hoping the band organ survives this. Nice to see the queue getting shade, one way or the other.

I don’t think it will be effected. I think they are going to widen some of those tight railings and possibly get rid of some planters to make more room. Most people are usually squeezed into the tightest parts of the queue (those last two switchbacks) and the rest of the queue (between Dumbo and Monstro) goes unused.

Last edited:

TP2000

I mean no offense, I just personally feel like this a "well, we have nothing else to post, so..." sort of situation. Have they previously announced Main Street repavings?

I read this as a preemptive strike against AP complaints when they show up and the middle of Main Street USA is all botched up with construction walls. And it's good of them to let us in on what the end goal here is; a new brick treatment for the street and a shade structure for the Dumbo queue.

For Disneyland nerds, this isn't a slow news day.

TP2000

This winter they should get Guy from Splitsville to put on his hardhat and go behind the construction walls and talk to the guys laying the new streetcar track.

Guy could be like the Huell Howser of Disneyland... Just talkin' about stuff and being excited about streetcar rail welding techniques and weird little trivia. And bowlin'!

Curious Constance

This winter they should get Guy from Splitsville to put on his hardhat and go behind the construction walls and talk to the guys laying the new streetcar track.

Guy could be like the Huell Howser of Disneyland... Just talkin' about stuff and being excited about streetcar rail welding techniques and weird little trivia. And bowlin'!
Oh my god. This is a brilliant idea. They should just have Guy take over for all of the bloggers on the Disneyland Blog. Might make me pop over there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom