Dumbo Expected to Remain Open

FigmentJedi

Now you see, that's a far more sensible solution then the rumored "Build two whole new Dumbos and scrap the old one" idea that was being tossed around.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Maybe it's just me, but I dont see how they are going to open New Dumbo 1 in the Circus and keep it open and running while doing the heavy construction required directly next door in order to install the Old Dumbo 2 that they are moving from it's current location.

I guess maybe if the distance in between is far enough and they do not require any heavy machinery to be on New Dumbo 1's side in order to put the new one up.

I dont see how it happens, but hey, I'm not in construction so I'm sure they could figure something out.

celluloid

Maybe it's just me, but I dont see how they are going to open New Dumbo 1 in the Circus and keep it open and running while doing the heavy construction required directly next door in order to install the Old Dumbo 2 that they are moving from it's current location.

I guess maybe if the distance in between is far enough and they do not require any heavy machinery to be on New Dumbo 1's side in order to put the new one up.

I dont see how it happens, but hey, I'm not in construction so I'm sure they could figure something out.

It could get messy as far as flow but I doubt it. These are the kind of rides a group of carnival workers can put up in a day or two. Doing this with the added aesthetics and 'permanent' touches are not going to be that big of deal.

GatorGuy

Original Poster
Looking at the current Dumbo Spinner, which flies counterclockwise, it would have to be the Dumbo to the right (outlined in red) meanwhile the New Dumbo will be the one in the left (outlined in green).

06142011DisneysStorybookCircusLand-1.jpg

I dont think the reassembly of the Old Dumbo will be too messy when it comes to both the flow of guests and construction . They have all the area in red to put machinery etc. without interrupting the flow of guests which would be entering the ride in between the two Dumbos and exiting through the side.

Where I do think it will get somewhat chaotic will be in Fantasyland, if the Fantasyland Forest is not open by then, when they dismantle Dumbo 1.

I guess this means we aren't getting a water feature beneath the Dumbos.:cry:

herc

Look at it this way. They are going to get the entire area at the dueling dumbos all ready to go. The pit will be themed and walls will be put around it. At night they will take apart the old Dumbo and start moving it over and then reassmble it. They are only moving the ride mechanism itself, not the gates, fence, queue, etc.

Jakester

I could see it when storybook circus opens up that the "New Dumbo" Only have one spinner for a few days while they relocate the other one

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Look at it this way. They are going to get the entire area at the dueling dumbos all ready to go. The pit will be themed and walls will be put around it. At night they will take apart the old Dumbo and start moving it over and then reassmble it. They are only moving the ride mechanism itself, not the gates, fence, queue, etc.

I guess I could see it, and if Storybook Circus is truly scheduled to open ahead of the rest, it would give them time to account for Dumbo's absense before opening the rest of FLE.

I just wonder with them building castle walls right now, and the original plans showing castle walls going directly through Dumbo, will they just have to stop on their current construction at a certain point and wait until Dumbo is moved, the infrastructure is demolished, and then restart the walls?

I guess either way they will have to do that, otherwise risk being Dumboless for an extended period of time.

GatorGuy

Original Poster
Link has been fixed.

sshindel, I dont think the castle walls will be much of a problem, they will probably just work around Dumbo for now, and once it's relocated work in that area.

Ignohippo

I would imagine the current Dumbo will go somewhere for a refurb before being re-assembled in it's new location.

You can't put too much stake in the concept art, but the artist would certainly have the details on the ride's look and features. If the spinners are going to look as they do on the new concept art, the current Dumbo is going to have some major work done.

I would expect the new Dumbo will open, the old one will disappear for a couple of months, and then will be assembled quickly in its new location. As someone stated earlier, these are the kinds of rides carnival operators can have up and running in a few days so I'm sure, when its down for refurb, a lot of care will be taken so that it can be re-assembled quickly.

For convenience sake, I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Dumbo go down for a week or two while the current one is put in place. I would also expect it to have the water feature, as in the new art. I don't see why having the water feature or not would have anything at all to do with the ride itself. The ride will never actually be in contact with the water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom