Dumbo and Peter Pan rides set for removal?

CaptinEO

Original Poster
There was an announcement that "Peter Pan" and "Dumbo" are being removed from children's profiles on Disney Plus. Disney deems these movies as offensive and not child friendly. Yet, Peter Pan and Dumbo are probably the most popular rides for children.

Do you think the Peter Pan and Dumbo attractions will be removed? Disney is already stating these films are not for children. I can't see them advocating for these properties anymore.

Furthermore, Disney has continued to remove all things Walt Disney from Disneyland and this will keep that campaign going.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
No. They remade Dumbo to make it acceptable and are remaking Peter Pan.

If only they could remake Song of the South and just focus on the cartoon...
None of the elements in the parks are based off of any of these remakes (which is a good thing IMO). I don't think it's applicable to say the rides are based off the remakes now.

ToTBellHop

None of the elements in the parks are based off of any of these remakes (which is a good thing IMO). I don't think it's applicable to say the rides are based off the remakes now.
It doesn’t matter. They are based upon properties Disney is keeping. They are tossing Song of the South away. They would not remake an IP if they didn’t want to keep promoting it.

There are no plans to remove these rides, to answer your question.

Sharon&Susan

1615387345245.png

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There was an announcement that "Peter Pan" and "Dumbo" are being removed from children's profiles on Disney Plus. Disney deems these movies as offensive and not child friendly. Yet, Peter Pan and Dumbo are probably the most popular rides for children.

Do you think the Peter Pan and Dumbo attractions will be removed? Disney is already stating these films are not for children. I can't see them advocating for these properties anymore.

Furthermore, Disney has continued to remove all things Walt Disney from Disneyland and this will keep that campaign going.
Removing content from children's profiles does not "deem them" offensive. Tron isn't on children's profiles either, and they're actively building a new Tron ride.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
It doesn’t matter. They are based upon properties Disney is keeping. They are tossing Song of the South away. They would not remake an IP if they didn’t want to keep promoting it.

There are no plans to remove these rides, to answer your question.
I know there are no announced plans, but Disney literally has claimed these movies are offensive to cultures, and don't allow children to watch them.

They are in a children's land. Im unsure what this bodes for attractions of Dumbo and Peter Pan in the future.

ToTBellHop

I know there are no announced plans, but Disney literally has claimed these movies are offensive to cultures, and don't allow children to watch them.

They are in a children's land. Im unsure what this bodes for attractions of Dumbo and Peter Pan in the future.
There are no discussions of their removal.

I can only say “no” so many ways.

¡No!
Non!
No!

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I hope folks realize I don't advocate for the removal of anything Walt Disney from the parks. I'm just going off of the company's own recent trends and terminology.

Sharon&Susan

I remember 20 years ago when Disney removed all the Mickey& Friends content from Disneyland after putting disclaimers in front of their shorts on the Walt Disney Treasures series...

el_super

I'm pretty sure that Peter Pan will eventually get changed to remove the Indian Village, if it hasn't happened already.

I'm also absolutely sure that every attraction at Disneyland is being examined for any form of cultural insensitivity. Every. Single. One.

At the end of the day, does it make sense to remove them? MAYBE. It's always a possibility. Does it make practical sense to remove them? Not in the short term. Something like Dumbo could only be replaced with another spinner ride. The cost of developing a new concept for such a simple ride would be extreme (like Astro Orbitor extreme). They wouldn't get much out of replacing it, and can always make the argument that Dumbo the character is not offensive, even if Dumbo the movie is.

Peter Pan is a little more interesting, because I would believe that they would end up losing a lot of their exemptions from current OSHA regulations if they performed a major refit of the ride. So not only would they be stuck putting in a similar dark ride, but it would also have to be a much shorter ride.

At the end of the day though, there are a lot of insensitive elements that could be removed from multiple rides, and it would be easier and more cost effective to start with that, rather than trying to replace whole rides at once.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Disney has claimed the movies are offensive to certain cultures because people who aren't even apart of that culture (and if they are, they definitely weren't born when the movies came out) are offended over it.

Also a child can easily watch them on normal accounts so...

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I think they'll edit the ride. The Indians on Peter Pan had their illumination turned off for a while before Disney decided to revise all classic attractions.
I didn't know about this. I wonder if they'll flat out remove the Indians or if they just modify them.

Indians and Teepees would be seen as a stereotype by white people who may get offended.

DavidDL

Regarding Peter Pan: maybe just have a handful of relevant characters at the beginning and end? Have Peter, Tink and the gang at the beginning to greet and grant you the gift of "flight" and then the rest of the ride becomes about the riders own journey through Neverland (I just feel like we don't need to follow or see the gang in every scene). The pirates n' Captain Hook could remain and maybe even use a bit of projection mapping magic to make it look like your pirate ship fires its cannons at them, leading to Hook falling into the water with the crocodile. Then Peter, Tink and the gang bid you farewell on the way out and hope you had fun.

This would make the ride more personal because it would be your own adventure through Neverland and the world of the film while also being able to distance itself from having to re-live what happens in it because that was those characters' adventure, not yours. Familiar locales, themes and music, but no need to have the Indians present and makes the ride less like a "book-report". Just my two cents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom