Dumbest Thing You've Heard a Guest Say: Florida Edition

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
About ten minutes later 2 OPD officers show up. One tells me I need to show proof of my residency or face possible park eviction or arrest. He says they have been tipped off anonymously that we are homeless.

This sounds awful actually. You would have been evicted and/or arrested for what exactly? It's not illegal to be homeless, and homeless people still have the same rights as everyone else. If someone gives a homeless person tickets to a park, it wouldn't be any of anyone else's damn business if they sleep in Golden Oaks or their car.

This honestly sounds like Disney was the bad guy here.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I don't know how the company policy works. Security may have just been flagged that we were homeless, and no other details, so wanted to check us over. I'm not sure. Security and PD were very friendly and apologetic of the confusion after it was concluded I just made a poor choice of joke material. It was a lesson learned. And I don't condemn homeless people at all, that was just a bad taste joke for me to make at a theme park.

I mean, yeah, it was in bad taste, but that doesn't matter. When it comes to our rights as citizens, what some corporate policy dictates is irrelevant. Disney can't evict someone from their parks simply because they're homeless.

ThanksPhoenicians

Original Poster
The dumbest thing I heard was said by me. It was meant all in good fun and as a joke, but it quickly backfired and almost landed me and my family in some hot water. About 2 years ago we were visiting MK on a crowded Sunday, and in line for Pan. It was crowded, I was not in the best of moods, but was there for the wife and kids. Behind us in line was a very chatty couple. They were pleasant people and I am sure meant well. I just wasn't in the mood that day for small talk in a crowded queue. Well the husband taps me on the shoulder and asks where we were visiting from. I didn't want to say Orlando, because this would start the onslaught of questioning "Oh, so how do you like it down here?" "How often do you go to the parks?" So I just shot out a smart-**** response as quickly as I could. I said to the man "We are actually a homeless family who were given free park tickets by some church, and are visiting for the first time." Then I smiled. This shut the man up in a hurry. No more questions, no more small talk. My wife looked embarrassed, and she quietly scolded me later on the ride for making up a jerk answer.

Well, then it all backfired. As we were exiting the ride, I notice not one, but two WDW security waiting just outside the ride exit. At first, I thought they were checking out something across the way at IASW, as they were standing closer to it's entrance. But no, they were staring directly at US. As we walk toward the Tangled and HM area, they begin to follow us. We don't make it to Columbia Harbour House before one tells us we need to come with him. Next thing you know, we are in a WDW security office, myself wife and kiddos. Security tells us just to wait, and would not tell us what this is all about. About ten minutes later 2 OPD officers show up. One tells me I need to show proof of my residency or face possible park eviction or arrest. He says they have been tipped off anonymously that we are homeless. I breath a sigh of relief, and tell them no we are not at all homeless, show my driver's license with address, and explain I made a poor taste joke while in line earlier. Then the officers and security become friendly, apologize for any inconvenience, and let us on our way. It made for a scary few minutes at first, but as my wife tells me I should always think before opening my mouth. :hilarious:
This is hilarious.

graphite1326

I don't know how the company policy works. Security may have just been flagged that we were homeless, and no other details, so wanted to check us over. I'm not sure. Security and PD were very friendly and apologetic of the confusion after it was concluded I just made a poor choice of joke material. It was a lesson learned. And I don't condemn homeless people at all, that was just a bad taste joke for me to make at a theme park.
I kinda like the joke. I may use it myself.

graphite1326

The dumbest thing I heard was said by me. It was meant all in good fun and as a joke, but it quickly backfired and almost landed me and my family in some hot water. About 2 years ago we were visiting MK on a crowded Sunday, and in line for Pan. It was crowded, I was not in the best of moods, but was there for the wife and kids. Behind us in line was a very chatty couple. They were pleasant people and I am sure meant well. I just wasn't in the mood that day for small talk in a crowded queue. Well the husband taps me on the shoulder and asks where we were visiting from. I didn't want to say Orlando, because this would start the onslaught of questioning "Oh, so how do you like it down here?" "How often do you go to the parks?" So I just shot out a smart-**** response as quickly as I could. I said to the man "We are actually a homeless family who were given free park tickets by some church, and are visiting for the first time." Then I smiled. This shut the man up in a hurry. No more questions, no more small talk. My wife looked embarrassed, and she quietly scolded me later on the ride for making up a jerk answer.

Well, then it all backfired. As we were exiting the ride, I notice not one, but two WDW security waiting just outside the ride exit. At first, I thought they were checking out something across the way at IASW, as they were standing closer to it's entrance. But no, they were staring directly at US. As we walk toward the Tangled and HM area, they begin to follow us. We don't make it to Columbia Harbour House before one tells us we need to come with him. Next thing you know, we are in a WDW security office, myself wife and kiddos. Security tells us just to wait, and would not tell us what this is all about. About ten minutes later 2 OPD officers show up. One tells me I need to show proof of my residency or face possible park eviction or arrest. He says they have been tipped off anonymously that we are homeless. I breath a sigh of relief, and tell them no we are not at all homeless, show my driver's license with address, and explain I made a poor taste joke while in line earlier. Then the officers and security become friendly, apologize for any inconvenience, and let us on our way. It made for a scary few minutes at first, but as my wife tells me I should always think before opening my mouth. :hilarious:
Do you think they were listening in or tipped off? The people were next to you in line so they didn't have time to alert anyone.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I mean, yeah, it was in bad taste, but that doesn't matter. When it comes to our rights as citizens, what some corporate policy dictates is irrelevant. Disney can't evict someone from their parks simply because they're homeless.
I dunno -- have you read all the fine print in the conditions of admission?

slappy magoo

I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys but...

Sometimes when I'm on line I make up dumb Disney "facts" for chucks and giggles. And if someone tells me I'm wrong I blow them off like "yeah, right sir, Disney DOESN'T train the bees not to sting the guests, you're absolutely right," then make a "COO-coo!" gesture with my finger around my ear.

slappy magoo

"You Kids Ready to go to Disney World Today?" *As bus head towards The MAGIC KINGDOM!
Meh... this one is a bit forgivable. It's not correct.... but not really that bad.
Yeah, if the kids were young enough that they don't grok the nuance between Disney World and Magic Kingdom...or if this is the one day a family is on property...might be easier just to call it Disney World.

Michaelson

I know I've posted this before, but apparently not in THIS thread.....and putting the 'shoe on the other foot' category, we were at Animal Kingdom and walking into the gorilla glassed in viewing area. There were no gorilla's, but a young, bored and very warm CM who stood without expression at the window.

There were no gorilla's in sight, but oddly enough there sat a rabbit behind the glass.

Joking with my wife, I said, 'odd, I thought gorilla's were bigger than that!'.

The CM, with NO change of expression looked at me and said, 'sir, that's not a gorilla. That's a rabbit."

No @#$%, Sherlock!

Before I could say something 'snarky' (I was hot too), my wife said, 'So, where are the gorillas now'.

The CM turned to my wife and once again with NO expression said 'They're up in the woods now.'

My wife, ALSO joking said 'Aw, make them come back' with a smile.

The CM said 'Mam, they're wild animals. We can't make them do that'.

About that time my youngest daughter walked around the corner, hearing this exchange, and we had to grab her arm and walk her out of the area backwards as we KNEW she was going to really start messing with the CM after those responses!

To this day we laugh about it, and when we go through that area, we always say 'I wonder if that long eared gorilla is out this year'?'

I'm sure that CM went back to the break room and has posted somewhere on the internet about 'those dumb tourists who thought a rabbit was a gorilla!

Cuts both ways, I guess. ;-)

Regards! M

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys but...

Sometimes when I'm on line I make up dumb Disney "facts" for chucks and giggles. And if someone tells me I'm wrong I blow them off like "yeah, right sir, Disney DOESN'T train the bees not to sting the guests, you're absolutely right," then make a "COO-coo!" gesture with my finger around my ear.

I've claimed that in WS, Disney hires people from American cities that are named after cities in the country in question (Paris, Texas.. Dusseldorf, Wyoming, etc. )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom