Duffy merchandise proves to be extremely popular - purchase limits coming into effect

disneyrcks

This Duffy?

duff-mckagan--large-msg-117074155462.jpg

Who is that lady? :lookaroun

:lol:

disneyrcks

Why, just why do people obsess over a boring Teddy bear with zilch backstory?
I just don't
Why

It is very cute. I am sure children love Duffy. Same reason why Build-a-Bear was so popular. Kids love Teddy Bears. I would not buy Duffy but if my child wanted one, I would buy it. Kids do not care about backstories :shrug:.

scpergj

1. Well I for one, am not even close to 40 years old, and

2. Duffy is NOT that popular with women and girls in the US. They tried to make him popular, though.[/QUOTE]

Really?? tell that to my 10 year old daughter - who has a Duffy, and a small suitcase full of clothes and costumes for him...

Funny thing is, we were in EPCOT last Saturday, and there were so many Duffy bears, pretty much everywhere you look...why limit the number for purchase - especially where all you need to do is go to a different store and purchase more...

MaryJaneP

Duffy? Sounds exactly like Cabbage Patch Kids, Pet Rocks, Milli Vanilli, etc. There are fans, and non-fans. One strategy would be to reserve forming an opinion until the phenomena ages. Of course, people frequently express undying love or hate for these types of inventions. It seems to me that all of the Disney characters were created at some point. Can a Duffy movie be too far off? Then the merch would be for a movie character.

disneyrcks

Oh my mistake, at least ONE girl loves Duffy! I guess he really is in high demand in the United States.

Seriously? Do you really think that kids have no interest in Duffy? He is a crazy cute teddy bear with different outfits. Kids LOVE that type of stuff, as they should-they are kids. Someone here mentioned Cabbage Patch Kids. Good example, they were ridiculously popular and almost impossible to get around the holidays. Why were they popular? Because they were crazy cute. I absolutely respect your opinion but the history of stuffed animals/dolls begs you to be realistic.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Japan is crazy about duffy.. Ebay+international shipping = Big Profits

I just came back from Tokyo this week. Japan being crazy about duffy is an understatement. I saw people with him EVERYWHERE!! Mini duffys, big duffys, duffy keychains, duffy head bags (creepy), duffy plush in arcades to win, etc.

Tom Morrow

Seriously? Do you really think that kids have no interest in Duffy? He is a crazy cute teddy bear with different outfits. Kids LOVE that type of stuff, as they should-they are kids. Someone here mentioned Cabbage Patch Kids. Good example, they were ridiculously popular and almost impossible to get around the holidays. Why were they popular? Because they were crazy cute. I absolutely respect your opinion but the history of stuffed animals/dolls begs you to be realistic.
I am aware that there are kids that like Duffy and that he appeals to them, what I'm saying is, there just isn't this huge craze for him in the US like Disney seems to be implying/pushing for.

I dislike Duffy for all the reasons MKCP 1985 mentioned.

edit: here's some great images from this old thread:
duffbuy.jpg

duffy22.jpg

duffy.png

LongtimeReader

I am just glad my kids were too old before Duffy came along. It would be hard to say "no" to my child wanting such a cute little bear, but that is the very reason I dislike Duffy. Some marketing puke figured out that mommies and daddies would buy stuffed teddy bears for their precious children.

Duffy has nothing to do with anything the Walt Disney Company ever did to entertain people. He never had a cartoon or comic book series. He wasn't in a movie. He's just something made up to generate merchandise sales and for some reason that really bothers me. :lol:

I guess it especially bothers me when Duffy can make appearances at Epcot at the same time Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket are being removed from the parks.

Go away, Duffy. You might as well smell like strawberries for what you are to me, but that's not fair to Lotso Huggin Bear. Even Lotso has a real place in the Walt Disney Company/Pixar which is more than Duffy can say.

And we have the sacred Oriental Land Company to thank for his invasion. I agree with ALL of this. I also agree that any purchase limits are definitely NOT due to consumer demand. Just last year they gave a Duffy to every single cast member as a "gift" (meaning they overestimated his demand and had too many). I find it impossible to imagine that hes suddentl a hot commodity. 75% of the people you see in line to meet him are Japanese, and they're still only 4-5 people deep at best in the queue at most times. Get rid of him. The bear is cute. The crass marketing and kidcot invasion and costumes and greetings...obnoxious.

Also, if he was that popular theyd have already imported the girlfriend, Shelly Mae. No, I'm not making that up. Ugh.

Magenta Panther

During my last visit to WDW, the Duffy story was part of the programming lineup on the TV in my room. Saw it several times. And hoooo booyyyy, talk about cheezy! It had the kind of storybook art that makes Mickey Mouse look unpleasant (and it takes a certain kind of talent, or lack of same, to make Mickey Mouse look un-cute) and a drippy story to go along with it. I've never been crazy about Duffy, but after a few viewings of that video I've grown to hate that little lintball of a bear. Can't believe he's all that popular. I wish Disney would dump him and work on creating better stuffed toy versions of Mickey. I keep waiting for this. I've been to the park 5 times so far and I have yet to buy a Mickey doll because IMO they all pretty much suck. :p

SeanC

Unless they are putting up huge signs about the limit, no one will know about it unless they actually try and buy 6 of something so how does it create artificial demand?

Slowjack

Unless they are putting up huge signs about the limit, no one will know about it unless they actually try and buy 6 of something so how does it create artificial demand?
Typically this kind of game is done is a subtle fashion. Lots of ads touting supposedly incredible deals, for example, will limit sales per customer in print that is fine, but not too fine, if you see what I mean. As for the Duffy thing, it's already posted on some pages of disneystore.com ("Please Note: Each Guest will be limited to ordering a maximum of three of this item per order"). Also, Duffy items on the site now have a drop-down for quantity instead of a fill-in box. All of this reinforces the notion that Duffy is a rare jewel. Or this little item on the Duffy page on the official Disneyworld site: "Since Duffy is exclusive to Disney Parks, he is not available for sale online."

Last night we were at Epcot, my daughter saw a glimpse of the store selling Duffy, the Bear Who Must Be Bought, and tugged me that way. I've never felt better about denying her something. Now Duffy is forgotten and her childhood continues.

Definitely an artificial demand, its too easy to go from store to store buying five at a time, or possibly more depending on how many people are brought with. A family of four could easily walk around Magic Kingdom buying 20 in every store and leave the park an hour later with 100 then go on their merry way to the hotels on the monorail and buy more at each store. People did this in the days of popular pins all the time. If they really wanted to "limit" Duffy merchandise they would only sell it at one location and have a stamp system or something in place to prevent abuse. Duffy is just too available at too many locations for me to believe there is such a huge demand for it.

Does Disneyland have the same policy going into effect as well?

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Yea "cute" in Japan never seems to get old. Mickey Mouse, Chip and Dale, Stitch, and duffy all SUPER popular over there. Why do you think Stitch is in the tiki room in Japan? Kawaii!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Possible that the Japanese demand is taking up all the supply. I can't believe it's really US demand causing the short supply.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom