Drowning in pop century hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um. The boy is in critical condition. Let's all pray and hope this doesn't take a turn for the worse.

As I said (and I swear people don't actually READ anymore), "I hope everything turns out okay and that this just ends up a crazy story...."

Please do us all a favor and actually read the post before commenting. If it's too hard for you to decipher, read it again. If you still don't understand, don't comment.
I heard that he was 'practically dead' when they brought him in.. Sorry :S

OFTeric

I have some information very close to this. But let me say that they (the parents and kids) did not heed the closing announcement. And now some poor CP who gave the closing announcement has been suspended for their actions.

bhg469

I have some information very close to this. But let me say that they (the parents and kids) did not heed the closing announcement. And now some poor CP who gave the closing announcement has been suspended for their actions.
I'm not surprised. People often ignore cast members but in this case the car members warning was a very important one.

AndyS2992

Wait what? :confused: How is it their fault?

OFTeric

Wait what? :confused: How is it their fault?

I personally do not think that it is the CMs fault who gave the closing announcement, however when these things happen lower level management want to seem "proactive" so all yesterday CMs and CPs were being interviewed and questioned, and interrogated about the pool closing procedures, who gave the closing announcement, what the person's volume level was etc.

If making sure everyone at the pool can hear the closing announcement Disney should have provided these lifeguards with Bull Horns, or a PA system. Instead of suspending a College Program kid for not shouting loud enough.

OKWBamaJim

Lets talk on experience about some people. Their favorite time to swim in the pool is during a lightning storm. It is amazing how many people get angry when you tell them lightning is in the area, and they dont get out of the pool.....

We are talking a simple pool closing issue....

Prayers to the family.....

Lisalyn

And of course if nothing had happened the same person could be trouble for shouting too loud.

I'm confused...even if this were true - what about the swim at your own risk signs? Should it really matter IF they heard him or not short of tapping everyone on the shoulder and notifying them personally? I think it's ridiculious if someone gets suspended/fired over this because others failed to heed the closing of the pool...even with it ending as it did with a boy fighting for his life.

muteki

I'm confused...even if this were true - what about the swim at your own risk signs? Should it really matter IF they heard him or not short of tapping everyone on the shoulder and notifying them personally? I think it's ridiculious if someone gets suspended/fired over this because others failed to heed the closing of the pool...even with it ending as it did with a boy fighting for his life.

Agree 100%, but this is the world we are living in. This probably came from several layers of management up.

PhotoDave219

I personally do not think that it is the CMs fault who gave the closing announcement, however when these things happy lower level management want to seem "proactive" so all yesterday CMs and CPs were being interviewed and questioned, and interrogated about the pool closing procedures, who gave the closing announcement, what the person's volume level was etc.

If making sure everyone at the pool can hear the closing announcement Disney should have provided these lifeguards with Bull Horns, or a PA system. Instead of suspending a College Program kid for not shouting loud enough.

Okay, I've got video (somewhere) of people in pools in the middle of Hurricane Charlie as well as footage at Wild Lodge of Guests in the pool during a rainband of Hurricane Francis. Security later physically blocked off all access to the pool.

Point being, this is not the fault of the CMs for some "announcement."

However, I really do wonder why Disney is closing its pools at 8PM during the beginning of Spring Break.

lazyboy97o

Front line Cast Members are cannon fodder. They're easy to blame whether something seriously goes wrong or if somebody complains.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Okay, I've got video (somewhere) of people in pools in the middle of Hurricane Charlie as well as footage at Wild Lodge of Guests in the pool during a rainband of Hurricane Francis. Security later physically blocked off all access to the pool.

However, I really do wonder why Disney is closing its pools at 8PM during the beginning of Spring Break.
Doesn't the closing time float based on hotel occupancy, time of sunset as well as a few other factors?

Disneyhead'71

Only spoiled Disney-Haters would expect the pool to be open after dark at a $600+/night hotel.

PhilharMagician

My thoughts go out for this boy and his family. WDW is supposed to be a happy place with good memories.

I have to wonder if a 13 Y/O boy after lifguard hours was doing a head first dive in a shallow pool and knocked himself unconcious? It is quite odd that he did not signal at all that he was having difficulties. There apparently was family around the pool area.

Doesn't the closing time float based on hotel occupancy, time of sunset as well as a few other factors?

I believe that supervised (lifeguard) hours do continually change based on season and hotel occupancy but the pool hours I thought were posted on permanent signs around the pool areas and do not change.

freediverdude

Wait, what? Of all the times I've stayed at Disney, I've never heard anyone come out and announce that the pool was closed. And if someone did, anyone walking up right after that would not know, and would just go swimming. Especially at the quiet pools and the pools at the value resorts, which aren't roped off because there's no pool slide or anything. So blaming some CP kid for not coming out and yelling louder that the pool is closed for 2 seconds doesn't make any sense.

lunchbox1175

I'm sitting here at my resort where there are currently a couple fire trucks, ambulances, and security vehicles parked out front. Several paramedics rushed in with a stretcher and out to the pool and are giving someone CPR. I could have taken pictures but figured that would be in bad taste. Lets all hope and pray whoever it is is alright!

Parts of this were quoted on the Channel 13 website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom